Not a clue where to start...

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Not a clue where to start...

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Please update your flag here .

Not a clue where to start...

Hi guys,

Cannot believe I found this forum - so pleased, it's all very confusing and I find going through all the info online hasn't made the picture very clear...

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a few questions?

So basically, my girlfriend and I are planning to emigrate to Australia in about a years time and Iíve been scouring the web, but been quite confused by the numerous different companies offering to process your application.

Is it wise to pay for a company to organise your application?
In terms of a skilled work visa, or a skilled work visa that mean you live in a certain place, where do you actually apply for one of these?
How long does it take to process normally?
How much money do you need to show you have in your bank account? Does this need to be all there right from the start of your application?
What does the process involve eg. application, interview etc etc?
Do you have to give a specific date you will arrive before you apply?
My girlfriend and I are a same-sex couple, would this be recognised in the application process, would it be a bonus (being part of a couple) or a disadvantage or have no effect?
Would it maybe be better to apply separately?
Is it possible to go over on a year work visa and then apply whilst in Australia? Is this even possible? Could I get the company I work for during that year to sponsor me?
How easy is it to apply for jobs directly in Australia and then request sponsorship?

Having written all of that, it is an absolutely massive list Ė but if anyone could advise on any of them that would be amazing!



  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Welcome to the forum would be escapee and I take it from your forum name you're in the UK and that may give you some options, eg.

Are you both under 31 for if so and you wanted an early escape you could apply individually for Working Holiday Visas - gives you a minimum of 12 months and you can get any work you can in your chosen skilled field or whatever.
By whatever, that means by doing some work in a specific areas, agriculture and the like that backpackers often do, you can become eligible for another 12 months visa - all details under WHV on the immi site, link in sticky thread #6.

For something more permanent, again on the immi site you need to have a look at where for general skilled migration you may be eligible and if you have professional or trade qualifications experience you are probably looking at either a 175/176 visa for independant migration or say a 457 employer sponsored visa - just follow the links on immi under Visas and Migration and you'll see the separate paths.

You do not need to go to an agent if you do not want to as the immi site once you've identified what you may be eligible for is very straightforward and menu driven - a fair bit of info to be read but nothing too difficult to understand.

For a 175/176 there's a points score system applicable you'll find under eligibility, so many points for Qualifications, Age, English, Experience if applicable and partner qualifications if applicable - same sex partners recognised and so depends on partners qualifications assessment for extra points if needed.

A partner can go on a primary applicants visa as secondary applicant.

So next step if deciding on a 175/176 is to look at if your qualifications would likely be approved - check the SOL list for assessing authority and check their web site for info and/or process/contact/application info - entirely separate from the immigration application.

If that's the way you want to think about proceeding, first also have a read of sticky thread #4 for with global/Australian too economic situation the government has been tightening up re applications and there's info there re priority of processing and FAQ - good advantage to going for a state nomination 176 as less points needed and higher priority.

If you're able to come first on WHV, you'll still need to have your qualifications approved and possibly get state registration depending on your area of skill, but then you could look for work in your field and maybe line up an employer who would be prepared to sponsor via a 457 visa but that is a longer path to getting permanent residency that a 175/176 provides off the bat.
Being here on a WHV would also allow you to apply for a 175/176 while here once your qualifications were assessd OK but there is a catch of you having to leave the country for either of them to be granted, a silly anomally because they are on the normal external applications matrix - just the way it is!
We had a post earlier this year of one couple in exactly that situation and they had notification from immi re advising them to prepare for and notify of intended departure and go on a short holiday to NZ, Bali, Malaysia, Singapore or wherever so the visa could be granted and then they could return, so it would seem that can work.

So you can apply online - Department of Immigration & Citizenship

As to how long it'd normally take, no such thing as normal at the moment.

For a WHV, there's something like $5000 stipulated as minimal funds to have on arrival but it rarely gets checked and even having that ammount of credit availability on a credit account is sufficvient proof.

For permanent residency application re a skilled visa, don't think there's any real ammount stipulated but there's a visa application fee that needs to be paid up front, about $2105 at moment and gets reviewed each financial year, a 457 being only a few hundred $$ and for someone emigrating, what with living costs etc., and if no immediate job lined up, you'd want to be sensible about it and have enough to last you for quite a while and have a Plan B.
Say, $20-40,000 and maybe Plan B to go camping and live in a tent if funds looked like going low!

For skilled migration, I do not think there is an interview as such for you need to have provided a heap of documentation, the "applying for this visa" section having a checklist and the application form you can work through to see what is required.
Think it can be up to 12 months from date of grant in which you can enter or at minimum it may be 12 months from when you do medicals after request.

If you applied separately, it would then mean you would have to pay two lots of fees, so an advantage to apply as a couple if you have the evidence for that, common address, utility bills if not bank accounts in dual name, sta declarations from family or friends etc.

There you go, and time for some reading for you now.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2
Please update your flag here .

Wow, there really is a lot to look at isnít there? Thanks so much for all that info Ė will def get reading!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to start? bluefoot New member introductions 2 11-11-2011 02:19 PM
Where to start!? Maloneyk Housing 5 10-25-2011 10:05 PM
Where to start? dyl281 New member introductions 0 07-08-2011 02:58 PM
Where to start? geordiegirl68 Visas and immigration 0 06-13-2011 12:39 PM
Where do you start tripyrenees New member introductions 3 02-01-2010 01:52 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.