Changing from student visa to de facto visa (801)

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Changing from student visa to de facto visa (801)

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Changing from student visa to de facto visa (801)

Hi guys!
Has anyone changed from a student visa to a de facto visa?
My problem is: I submitetd my application last week, and haven't got a CO yet, and I'm going overseas in 2 weeks for 4-5 weeks. I went to the diac to ask for a bridging visa B but they said that was not necessary as long as I hold a student visa with multiple travel permit. They told me the bridging visa A stays in the background of my student visa until oct 2010 (when it expires) and by them, if they haven't made a decision yet, I need a bridging visa, but they asked me to go back there when I come back to Australia to fill out the form 1005 to ask for another bridging A to stay on the background as it will cease when I leave the country (but it's also going to stay in the background waiting for my student visa to cease).

They said that I don't need to attend school anymore and my visa won't cease before october 2010. But another guy told me that there is a slight chance of my student visa be cancelled when I'm overseas. I am worried now, because if I am reported by the school and they cancelled my visa while I'm overseas, I probably won't be able to come back and my spouse application will be cancelled. Can the school still cancel my visa even if I'm already bridging?

If anyone has been through the same situation and could post I would really appreciate the information


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
From what you've said, sounds like whoever you've seen at DIAC is saying your application for a spouse visa supercedes your student visa and that's the real question for as as you know a student visa validity is dependent on you being in attendance at an approved course.

You can apply for another visa whilst already on one, no problem with that but as you say, if your student visa gets cancelled and your existing bridging visa is nullified by you leaving the country, what visa do you have to get back in? - none!

I'd certainly clarify with immigration about how you'll be placed, best to get it in writing via an email if possible.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Yes, I've been there twice to get a bridging visa B (with permission to travel), talked to 3 different people, and they all said that my student visa is unlikely to be cancelled, and asking for a bridging B would be a "waste of money". Unlikely doesn't mean impossible and I can't have any doubts about this. The bridging visa A stays in the background in case my student visa expires, right? My thoughts are: if they cancel my student visa for any reason, and I have a bridging visa B instead an A in the background, I can come back. But why do they keep saying I don't need a bridging B?? I'll be paying $80 for it!! And if I'm in Australia I don't have to go to school anymore (they told me that) but if I go overseas I have to go to school? Very confusing!!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Student Visa to on-shore de facto visa: work rights GermanGirl Visas and immigration 12 08-01-2012 08:14 AM
Changing tourist visa for student visa magdabis Visas and immigration 1 10-13-2010 01:37 AM
Changing a fiancee visa to a de facto visa american Visas and immigration 3 10-01-2010 09:44 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.