Changing from non-dependant to dependant child

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Changing from non-dependant to dependant child

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2017, 04:40 PM
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 252
Users Flag! From australia

31 likes received
30 likes given
Changing from non-migrating to migrating dependent


Note: Thread title correction

If I wish to add a child under 18 years of age, my understanding is that I have to complete the following:
Form 1436 "Adding an additional applicant after lodgement"
Form 1229 "Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years"

Question 1. Would it be better to add a child to a 309/100 visa application while they are under 18 ($1755 fee) or over 18 and a full time student ($3505 fee). They won't be emigrating to Australia at least until their studies are complete in 4-5 years or possibly longer than that, though I imagine they would visit regularly. Other than the fee difference, would the application with the child as a non-migrating dependent be more likely to be approved than if they were included as a migrating dependent? Are there any other factors I should be aware of or consider regarding the two paths.

Question 2. Should the completed forms listed above be uploaded under "Attach Documents", as there exists a slot in the drop down menu for both of these forms, or should they be added under "Update Us".

From DIBP website:
Visa options for a child outside Australia
Scenario 3: A childís parent or their parentís partner sponsors them to live in Australia as a permanent resident.
Visa option: Child (Permanent) (Subclass 101)

To apply for a Child (Permanent) (Subclass 101) visa, the child must be:

outside Australia when applying for the visa
sponsored by their parent or their parentís partner.

If a child is 18 years or older, they must be single and either:

a full-time student between 18 and 25 years of age and financially dependent on the sponsoring parent; or
unable to work due to disability.

Last edited by 292905; 11-14-2017 at 05:13 PM.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Syney NSW
Posts: 5,573
Users Flag! From australia

921 likes received
400 likes given
Do not rely on the migration regulations remaining unhanged for 4 to 5 years or longer.

Westly Russell
Registered Migration Agent
Number 0316072

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 252
Users Flag! From australia

31 likes received
30 likes given
Please elaborate..

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dependant child with mild autism nucky Visas and immigration 4 05-03-2015 11:20 PM
Dependant child\ partner fees. Timmo Visas and immigration 3 10-13-2014 04:04 PM
Study Visa - Dependant Child Pianoscore Visas and immigration 2 10-12-2014 06:08 AM
Adding child dependant leopard blue Visas and immigration 0 02-26-2014 02:06 AM
Dependant child! danimac2011 Visas and immigration 2 09-18-2011 09:23 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.