On subclass 820.. relationship split. What to do?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

On subclass 820.. relationship split. What to do?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2017, 11:36 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Users Flag! From usa

On subclass 820.. relationship split. What to do?

Hi there,

I am from the USA and moved here in June of 2014 and was granted my Temporary Residency through subclass 820 (Partnership) in April of 2016.. we split up in August of 2017 and I am trying to find a way for me to stay in the country. I received and email from the DIAC to apply for my 801, but we are no longer together, so my ex partner does not want to go ahead with that process. Is there any other way for me to stay here?

How long can I stay on my subclass 820 without applying for the 801?

When I tell the DIAC that we are no longer together, is there a bridging visa that I can obtain to stay here until I figure out my next visa?

Also, If I have to leave the country, how long until I can return to Australia on another Visa?

I am terrified of having to leave. My entire life is here, I have my own ABN, great job ect..

If I could get some help ASAP that would be wonderful!

Thank you!

Last edited by Jeremiah13579; 11-15-2017 at 11:38 PM.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3
Users Flag! From china

1 likes given
My friend has a similar situation like you. She had the interview with the officer to explain everything. After that she got 40 days to stay in Australia.
She went back to her own country after 40 days, then she applied working visa back to Australia with the help of the company where she works in Australia

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,534
Users Flag! From usa

1467 likes received
434 likes given
The purpose of a partner visa is to be able to be in Australia with your partner. If you are no longer together, then you both have an obligation to inform DIBP of that.

No, you can't apply for a bridging visa to stay while you look for another eligible visa. Like said above, they give you time to arrange to leave.

If your partner visa ends up refused because they find out you're lying about currently being together, then you aren't helping yourself in getting any other eligible visas to live in Australia in the future.

Best to be honest in these situations. You're no longer together and your partner is right for not wanting to lie to a government agency about it. Not sure but it seems better to withdraw the app than get a refusal.

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2017, 02:54 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,213
Users Flag! From australia

3688 likes received
1175 likes given
I will just add on what has already been covered.

You have an ABN so you don't have an employer to sponsor you unless you can find one. Speak with a registered migration agent and get them to see if you are eligible for any other type of work or permanent visa.

It is better to notify DIBP and withdraw the application. It is better than a visa refusal.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,999
Users Flag! From australia

1459 likes received
404 likes given
"I received and email from the DIAC to apply for my 801"

What date was this email?

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,960
Users Flag! From uk

548 likes received
119 likes given
You split up in August and still haven't informed Immi of your change in circumstances?

Ring them and tell them.

Closed Thread

breakup, confused, help me, help urgent, partner, partner visa, partnership visa, scared, subclass 801, subclass 820, urgent, urgent help

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
split payment for 820/801 visa juicy_mangoes Visas and immigration 3 12-10-2016 11:19 PM
Long term De Facto relationship requirement subclass 820 leash Visas and immigration 9 03-14-2016 09:37 AM
Subclass 820, Registered Relationship. Question about Shared Life ashleyinoz Visas and immigration 0 12-12-2014 06:35 AM
Breakdown of relationship (Subclass 820) mto Visas and immigration 11 01-30-2014 10:03 AM
Relationship Breakdown (subclass 820) Cat lover Visas and immigration 6 10-20-2013 12:05 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.