Partner Bridging Visa Granted - What next:?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree4Likes

Partner Bridging Visa Granted - What next:?


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2017, 06:52 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
Partner Bridging Visa Granted - What next:?

Hey everyone. My name is Raleigh. I'm new here and have been lurking in the forums for a couple months to seek out some answers but everyone's situation is different...

My partner (Australian) and I (American) submitted our Partner Visa (820) on 17 Nov 2017 and we were immediately informed that I had been put on a Bridging Visa until a decision was made. Since the date of payment, we have attached all required documentation (give or take a few things).

For those of you who have gone through the process:

1. At what point were you given a "case worker" (if that's the right terminology)?

and

2. We consulted with a Migration Attorney before we lodged and he told us that as soon as we lodge that I would be able to start working immediately. Has anyone found this to be true? If so, could someone shed some light on this process and the in's and outs of everything afterwards?

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find anything that gave a clear and concise answer.

Thanks in advance!


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2017, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 364
Users Flag! From australia

92 likes received
66 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31gh View Post
Hey everyone. My name is Raleigh. I'm new here and have been lurking in the forums for a couple months to seek out some answers but everyone's situation is different...

My partner (Australian) and I (American) submitted our Partner Visa (820) on 17 Nov 2017 and we were immediately informed that I had been put on a Bridging Visa until a decision was made. Since the date of payment, we have attached all required documentation (give or take a few things).

For those of you who have gone through the process:

1. At what point were you given a "case worker" (if that's the right terminology)?

and

2. We consulted with a Migration Attorney before we lodged and he told us that as soon as we lodge that I would be able to start working immediately. Has anyone found this to be true? If so, could someone shed some light on this process and the in's and outs of everything afterwards?

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find anything that gave a clear and concise answer.

Thanks in advance!
In answer to your first question there's no point you get a case worker. If DIBP need more info someone might contact you (not necessarily a case officer) otherwise you might never hear between now and visa grant.

In answer to your second question what visa are you on right now? I think generally the work right starts when your bridging visa kicks in. you are however eligible right now to apply for Medicare so get your bridging visa grant notice and acknowledgement of receipt for your 820 application and enrol.


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_ghazal View Post
In answer to your first question there's no point you get a case worker. If DIBP need more info someone might contact you (not necessarily a case officer) otherwise you might never hear between now and visa grant.

In answer to your second question what visa are you on right now? I think generally the work right starts when your bridging visa kicks in. you are however eligible right now to apply for Medicare so get your bridging visa grant notice and acknowledgement of receipt for your 820 application and enrol.
I'm currently on the partner bridging visa.

To give you some background: I was on just a Travel Visa until 18 Nov but lodged everything for the partner visa on 17 Nov. Once lodged, I received the email from Immi that my bridging visa had been granted.


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2017, 07:29 AM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,033
Users Flag! From usa

4421 likes received
6268 likes given
This is REALLY important: Your bridging visa does NOT kick in until your current stay on your current visa (so your tourist visa, it sounds like) EXPIRES. So for you, since you're an American, you're likely on an ETA - is that correct? So you can start working when your current 3 month stay expires. While your bridging visa has been GRANTED, it is not ACTIVE until then. If your immigration lawyer told you otherwise, he should not have. Is he a MARA-registered migration agent? Should have a MARN number. An immigration lawyer or attorney is not the same thing as a registered agent and they can sometimes give not great advice if they're not also an agent.

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2017, 07:32 AM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,033
Users Flag! From usa

4421 likes received
6268 likes given
And there's really no such thing anymore as having a single Case Officer from DIBP assigned to your case. Multiple case officers work on every case just about these days. You will not hear from any of them unless you've forgotten something, or if you haven't already provided your medical and police checks. (That's okay, by the way - many people these days are waiting to provide them since they may otherwise expire before your case is decided. It's okay to wait until they ask.)

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGirl View Post
This is REALLY important: Your bridging visa does NOT kick in until your current stay on your current visa (so your tourist visa, it sounds like) EXPIRES. So for you, since you're an American, you're likely on an ETA - is that correct? So you can start working when your current 3 month stay expires. While your bridging visa has been GRANTED, it is not ACTIVE until then. If your immigration lawyer told you otherwise, he should not have. Is he a MARA-registered migration agent? Should have a MARN number. An immigration lawyer or attorney is not the same thing as a registered agent and they can sometimes give not great advice if they're not also an agent.
To answer your questions:

Yes, I was on an ETA that has already expired, on 18 Nov. When I submitted my application, my partner's application and paid the fee - we were then sent an email about my bridging visa grant notification. All that was the day before my ETA expired, 17 Nov. So, if I understand you correctly...since my ETA expired on 18 Nov, then my bridging visa took effect at 12:01am on 19 Nov, is that right?

According to his business card, he is a Registered Migration Agent and Immigration Lawyer. And he does have a MARN number.

I'm sorry for being so naive, I'm all very new to this and still understanding how it all works.


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2017, 07:52 AM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,033
Users Flag! From usa

4421 likes received
6268 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31gh View Post
To answer your questions:

Yes, I was on an ETA that has already expired, on 18 Nov. When I submitted my application, my partner's application and paid the fee - we were then sent an email about my bridging visa grant notification. All that was the day before my ETA expired, 17 Nov. So, if I understand you correctly...since my ETA expired on 18 Nov, then my bridging visa took effect at 12:01am on 19 Nov, is that right?

According to his business card, he is a Registered Migration Agent and Immigration Lawyer. And he does have a MARN number.

I'm sorry for being so naive, I'm all very new to this and still understanding how it all works.
Ah sorry - I missed that it expired on the 18 November! Yes, you're good then - your BVA should be active and you can work now. You can always log into VEVO and make sure, but that's how it should be.

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

Last edited by CollegeGirl; 11-21-2017 at 08:22 AM.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2017, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,862
Users Flag! From australia

1428 likes received
400 likes given
What is the last date you entered Australia?

A very important question!!!

The exact date you entered.


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2017, 08:14 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGirl View Post
Ah sorry - I missed that it expired on the 17 November! Yes, you're good then - your BVA should be active and you can work now. You can always log into VEVO and make sure, but that's how it should be.
Okay, I'll log into VEVO and double check. Thank you SO much!!

I have one last (probably dumb) question.

If all is well and I can work. Coming from the US and being eligible to work, you need a SS#. I know here most, if not all, employers ask for a Tax File #. What should I say when I'm asked this question?


  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampk View Post
What is the last date you entered Australia?

A very important question!!!

The exact date you entered.
I arrived on 18 Aug 2017.


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how long will it takes the bridging visa to be get granted nursing Visas and immigration 0 05-01-2014 11:18 AM
How can I successfully get a bridging visa granted for a long trip? adm6 Visas and immigration 11 11-11-2013 02:22 AM
No bridging visa granted after applying for 485 Visa gracesong0513 Visas and immigration 2 09-02-2013 01:59 AM
Warning: Bridging visa not granted for up to 10 days. gemmawrr Visas and immigration 4 08-30-2013 04:09 AM
Partner visa granted :) newinoz Visas and immigration 26 06-28-2012 11:10 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:55 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com