Partner Visa while Residing Overseas

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Partner Visa while Residing Overseas

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
Partner Visa while Residing Overseas

Hey there everyone!
I am hoping to get some clarity about the process of sponsoring my US husband to move to Australia. There's a lot of costs and paperwork involved and we hope to get it right and know what we're getting into.

I'm an Australian born citizen living in the US, and am in a same-sex marriage with an American. We've been married for four years.

He's on the verge of completing his PhD here in the US and we're looking to move to Australia. He's applying for jobs but is having trouble getting employers to consider him without a right to work there yet. The partner visa may be the way to go to make him more desirable.

It looks like I can apply for partner visa (subclass 309 and 100).

Since we both reside in America:
-Can we apply and stay here for the time being?
- If he does get accepted and allowed a temporary visa, do we need to move immediately to Australia? Is there a time frame? We may not have any jobs when it is approved and need to organize that.

-It looks like it'll take a year to process, but any real world experience on this?

Thank you for any help or other suggestions


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2018, 08:30 PM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,229
Users Flag! From canada

1531 likes received
148 likes given
Yes, you can apply from the US and remain there for the time being.

When the visa is granted, it will come with 2 important dates. The Initial Entry Date is usually the one-year anniversary of completing the medical/police checks, whichever comes first. He will need to enter Australia before that date to activate the visa, but this can be a simple holiday trip with no mandatory minimum time spent in Australia.

The 2nd date is the Must Enter By date which is the expiry of the entry rights. This is 5 years from the date the visa is granted. You need to either move over by that date, or he would then need to apply for another visa (usually people get the Resident Return Visa and whether it's granted would depend on whether he's got ties to Australia. With you being a citizen, that'd be likely good enough to count as ties but it won't work indefinitely).

A year seems to be the average processing at the moment, but really anywhere between about 9-15 months.

186 visa - Temporary Residence Transition stream
Granted Dec 2013

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2018, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,960
Users Flag! From uk

548 likes received
119 likes given
Side note - if your visa doesn't go straight to the 100 status permanent then follow up with the department and request that they assess your application as you are eligable to bypass the 309 stage.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partner Visa sponsorship - Usually residing in Australia? yeasir_arafat Visas and immigration 5 01-17-2017 03:33 AM
Temporary partner visa - partner working overseas (applicant) remi12 Visas and immigration 12 08-31-2015 09:42 AM
Partner visas - American in US, partner is Australian residing in Western Australia AlaskanGal Visas and immigration 29 01-31-2015 06:01 PM
Spouse visa application - sponsor not residing in Australia.Please help, please. ardi adelin Visas and immigration 1 01-18-2012 07:37 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.