W&HV462 while waiting for PMV 300

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree1Likes

W&HV462 while waiting for PMV 300


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2018, 03:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 59
Users Flag! From australia

19 likes received
31 likes given
W&HV462 while waiting for PMV 300

I recently saw some comments discussing applying for a W&HV462 while waiting for PMV 300 to be process by Washington DC and the idea sounds interesting and I wanted to know if anyone knew any more about it.

My fiance and I applied for a PMV 300 beginning of April this year, so we have a good 11-12 months to wait for approval so him being able to come here and work while we waited for the PMV would be wonderful.

Would he be able to apply for it and come here without it effecting our PMV application?

He works freelance independent contractor online via a few companies, however I am not sure how the 6 months limit would work with this? Looking on the gov website seems to indicate you can use the same agency/labour supplier to find work, which is similar to what he does.

Any information would be great help. Just currently exploring options since 12 months is a long time.

__________________
Country: USA
Applied [PMV 300]: 3rd April 2018
Approved [PMV 300]: 5th Feb 2019
Applied [PV 820]: 21st Oct 2019

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2018, 04:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,534
Users Flag! From usa

1464 likes received
434 likes given
Yes. Lots of people come to Oz on tourists visas or WHV/W&HVs if eligible while waiting. Just keep in mind that if the 300 is granted before the 462 is, to withdraw the 462 application immediately. And if he's onshore when the 300 is ready for grant, they'll ask him to leave to any country for 3-5 days. Make sure he updates his contact details (phone, address, etc) when he gets here.


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2018, 05:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 59
Users Flag! From australia

19 likes received
31 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybluebrewer View Post
Yes. Lots of people come to Oz on tourists visas or WHV/W&HVs if eligible while waiting. Just keep in mind that if the 300 is granted before the 462 is, to withdraw the 462 application immediately. And if he's onshore when the 300 is ready for grant, they'll ask him to leave to any country for 3-5 days. Make sure he updates his contact details (phone, address, etc) when he gets here.
Thank you for your reply Skybluebrewer.

That is good to know. We would apply in the next few months so it is highly unlikely by current trends that our 300 visa will be granted before the 462.

Will the approval of the 300 visa immediately override the 462 visa? We are just very wary of it affecting his 300 visa.

Also how strict is the $5000AUD requirement + money for ticket home requirement? Will $5000AUD satisfy both or do you need $5000 AUD plus another $xxxx for the plane ticket? Would $4000AUD satisfy it?

Also would it they care that he has no intention on working with an Australian employer, and just stick with his freelance agency job?

__________________
Country: USA
Applied [PMV 300]: 3rd April 2018
Approved [PMV 300]: 5th Feb 2019
Applied [PV 820]: 21st Oct 2019

Last edited by Pyrite; 05-23-2018 at 06:06 AM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,534
Users Flag! From usa

1464 likes received
434 likes given
Like I said, plenty of people apply for offshore partner visas and then apply for other visas to come to Oz while waiting. I did an ETA since I couldn't do the 462. A friend did the 462 after a 300 app. All you do is leave when told to for the grant and then come back and you'll be on the 300.

I can't answer much else but from what I've seen on here, it seems to be the unlucky draw. Some people are never questioned and others need to supply proof of funds and so on.

I'm not a professional so can only speak on personal experience.


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2018, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 59
Users Flag! From australia

19 likes received
31 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybluebrewer View Post
Like I said, plenty of people apply for offshore partner visas and then apply for other visas to come to Oz while waiting. I did an ETA since I couldn't do the 462. A friend did the 462 after a 300 app. All you do is leave when told to for the grant and then come back and you'll be on the 300.

I can't answer much else but from what I've seen on here, it seems to be the unlucky draw. Some people are never questioned and others need to supply proof of funds and so on.

I'm not a professional so can only speak on personal experience.
Thanks your reply regardless. Your comments in another thread are what even drew my attention to this possibility I believe.

He doesn't have $5000 in savings right now but he also has access to a few grand via credit cards, so worse case, we could use those I suspect.

__________________
Country: USA
Applied [PMV 300]: 3rd April 2018
Approved [PMV 300]: 5th Feb 2019
Applied [PV 820]: 21st Oct 2019

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,959
Users Flag! From uk

547 likes received
119 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
Thank you for your reply Skybluebrewer.

That is good to know. We would apply in the next few months so it is highly unlikely by current trends that our 300 visa will be granted before the 462.

Will the approval of the 300 visa immediately override the 462 visa? We are just very wary of it affecting his 300 visa.

Also how strict is the $5000AUD requirement + money for ticket home requirement? Will $5000AUD satisfy both or do you need $5000 AUD plus another $xxxx for the plane ticket? Would $4000AUD satisfy it?

Also would it they care that he has no intention on working with an Australian employer, and just stick with his freelance agency job?
Beware of deciding what current trends are.

There have been a lot of =< 3 month grants of late.

Remember the statistics on immigrations website are within x timeframe not at x timeframe.

__________________
Please ensure you are aware of the risks prior to visiting Australia - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 59
Users Flag! From australia

19 likes received
31 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mania View Post

Beware of deciding what current trends are.

There have been a lot of =< 3 month grants of late.

Remember the statistics on immigrations website are within x timeframe not at x timeframe.
I know that applications from London and Canada are being approved within a few months, but those from the USA seem to be taking 11+ months at the moment. Or at least based on those that comment on this forum.

__________________
Country: USA
Applied [PMV 300]: 3rd April 2018
Approved [PMV 300]: 5th Feb 2019
Applied [PV 820]: 21st Oct 2019

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,534
Users Flag! From usa

1464 likes received
434 likes given
True, but the forum is only a tiny percentage of applicants.

The US went from processing apps within a few months to all of a sudden taking 9 months or more. Wait times can change drastically from one month to the next really. Right now people are waiting nearer to a year, but who knows if they'll process a whole bunch at once and if the occasional fresh applicant gets thrown into the bunch. That's exactly what you see with Canada and the UK. The majority wait much longer than a few months. Where several Canadian apps came in at 2-3 months or less, there were plenty more that had been waiting well over a year and still waited after that.

The key thing is to remember that if the 300 is granted before the 462, to withdraw the 462 application.


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 59
Users Flag! From australia

19 likes received
31 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybluebrewer View Post
True, but the forum is only a tiny percentage of applicants.
That is very true. And something Im hoping is the case as I would like to get married sooner rather than later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybluebrewer View Post
The key thing is to remember that if the 300 is granted before the 462, to withdraw the 462 application.
Oh definitely.
We currently haven't done his health and police checks, so the 300 wont get approved suddenly any time soon.

On that topic, does anyone know if you can get health exams for offshore visas done in Australia? Need to figure out if we need it done before he comes here (if he can/does).

__________________
Country: USA
Applied [PMV 300]: 3rd April 2018
Approved [PMV 300]: 5th Feb 2019
Applied [PV 820]: 21st Oct 2019

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2018, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 254
Users Flag! From canada

66 likes received
118 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrite View Post
That is very true. And something Im hoping is the case as I would like to get married sooner rather than later!



Oh definitely.
We currently haven't done his health and police checks, so the 300 wont get approved suddenly any time soon.

On that topic, does anyone know if you can get health exams for offshore visas done in Australia? Need to figure out if we need it done before he comes here (if he can/does).
To the best of my knowledge, as long as it's done by a panel physician, the medical can be done anywhere. Just keep in mind the cost of getting it done in Australia versus where ever your partner is. For instance, mine was slightly subsidised by my Canadian provincial healthcare.

Pyrite likes this.

__________________
Application for s.c. 300 Submitted: January 14, 2018
s.c. 300 Granted: May 17, 2018

Application for s.c. 820/801 Submitted: January 18, 2019
s.cc 820 Granted: June 21, 2019

Closed Thread

Tags
300, 462, pmv

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ETA while waiting for 300 sheilae Visas and immigration 4 04-29-2018 08:37 AM
visitor visa while waiting for PMV 300 lipstick_ Visas and immigration 4 07-31-2017 04:49 AM
Getting married while waiting for 300 PMV decision babybear Visas and immigration 5 12-26-2016 01:33 AM
Getting married while waiting for Visa 300 jimmyc Visas and immigration 4 09-07-2015 10:29 AM
Questions while on visitor visa while waiting for offshore 309 ISTJ Visas and immigration 2 12-20-2014 04:30 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:20 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com