Special Circumstances

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Special Circumstances

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2009, 05:06 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Please update your flag here .

Special Circumstances

Hi all... very new here, and just starting to fill out the visa application for my husband so we can head back to Australia together, we are currently in Canada.

We recently got married, and found out that my father has cancer. He traveled here for the wedding, but is now undergoing treatment and the outlook is not great. I'm wondering, is there any consideration given to processing time given this situation?

We want to get back as soon as we can, and I would go alone BUT my father wants us to be together and not for me to rush back and start married life apart. I know it probably seems petty given the circumstances of others, but if I can give him something that will make him happy, maybe just make him fight a little harder, then I would love to be able to.


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 23
Please update your flag here .

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that news. Thats no good, hopefully he gets better.

My best friend just married an aussie in Canada and they got there visa really quick maybe 2.5 weeks. the longest part for her was waiting for a marriage certificate. Just get your husband to get his police checks and health exam done by the time you send in the application.

Otherwise he could always go over on a visitor visa then apply for the visa once your there. Costs more money, thats the only downfall. Not sure what the wait is but I read some other stories on here where people applied in person in Sydney and got granted a visa right away.

What ever you decide, good luck.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Welcome to the forum gep37 and certainly wish it was better circumstances for you, your dad and family.
He sounds like he has a positive outlook as displayed in his wishes for you and such an outlook is good for any form of medical treatment so hopefully it will go well.

To take that positive outlook a step further, I have seen compassionate circumstances referred to on the immi website but for different situations and the immigration people dealing with regulations and issuing of visas are generally good people.

I think you best step is to get the application form filled in over the weekend if you can print it and the Checklist you'll see in the " applying for visa " section and get all the documents together that you'll need and even if you do not have your own birth certificate over there, with what you have and that will also mean your own Sponsor Form, be as prepared as possible and get ready to contact the immigration people at the HC - Canada - Contacts

Once you have a handle of what docs you can get easy enough and what you are missing, you could even shoot an email in on Sunday to explain the situation and where you are at with the application re documents available and let them know you will ring when they are next open for business to see if you can get in for an appointment if you are near enough.

If you are somewhere over the west coast way or wherever, perhaps they do have an arrangement for expediting the service they can advise on.

In explaining the situation I would let them know that your husband can sign a statutory declaration re your fathers circumstances [and I say your husband because it is probably a Canadian Citizen who a Stat decl. is good from] .
It might even pay to talk to your mum to see if she has some medical letter
that she can fax to you for evidence[ and again I say your mum so as not to have your dad thinking about it for it could be something he stresses on, and then it can be a suprise for him, a bit of a fillip or spark to help treatment ] and if there is the BC etc. or anything else, she can have that in Express post.

I would advise the HC of whatever is coming in addition to being prepared to put in a stat.decl. and that way at least they will know it is just not a ploy to get faster processing.

I was having a look through the immigration Act this morning re other stuff and cannot recall anything on actual regs referring to express service but I'll have a nother look and update if there is anything I see.

But once they understand the situation and you have an application in [and they'll still probably need all documents for immi regs are based on legislation and rules do not get bent] I am sure they'll do whatever they can to expedite the process.

Good Luck with it all and if there's anything that can help you along, do get back.
Best wishes for your dad.

Last edited by Wanderer; 10-10-2009 at 05:13 AM.

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Please update your flag here .

Thank you both so very much for your advice and compassion...... We're in Halifax so I've got to look at where interviews would take place if needed, and the closest office to call.

Luckily I do have my birth certificate here.... planned ahead on that one.... the main thing holding us back at the moment is the money side of things, but by christmas time we will have that and the application will be ready to go.

Just another question... how long do you have after approval to enter the country?? I had heard that it was related to the dates on the medical and police checks??

I will look into the stat dec side of things, it's something that I hadn't thought of before, so thanks Wanderer for mentioning it, and yes my husband is a Canadian by birth.

Things aren't looking great for my dad, not in the mid to long term... so the sooner we can get this out of the way, the more time we have to spend with him!!

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Hi gep37,

Halifax at least is over the Ottawa end of Canada and suppose they have flights between the two, Ottawa being where the HC is and no idea on whether they do trips to Halifax, something to check with them.

Yes, money is always a bit of an issue but just a couple of things that you may want to look into re expediting your application a bit to before Xmas:

. Check to see whether you can pay with a credit card and then if you have a Canadian one or one from over here and if either has that credit fee period - use at start of a billing cycle and that gives you about 45 days in which to pay before interest is applied.
. Seeing as you are on the east coast, it'll mean more time as far as flight goes but have a hunt for a cheap flight from eastcoast to the UK.
Aer Lingus- cheap flights, hotels, car hire, & travel insurance being one company I had heard of a while back doing budget flights.
Boston to Heathrow being about $US450
And then have a look at Welcome to AirAsia.com, The World's Best Low-Cost Airline for they have very cheap flights ex Stansted in the UK to Kuala Lumpur and from there on to either Perth, Melbourne or the Gold Coast.
Cheap Flights & Airfares - Compare Domestic and International Airlines - Webjet.com.au will find you cheapest if needing to connect from any of those.

You'll usually find that booking with the major airlines for a one way, they'll charge much the same as for a return so taking that longer route could be quite a bit cheaper if that helps the budgeting.

Yes, the latest entry date on a visa is usually related more to the health check expiry than the police check, but if a later one was intended you can advise the department and see about an extension, possibly with another medical required but being Canada, it could be OK.

Maybe gep, if you can get the application in earlier and all appears OK [still ask about express service], you could fly out a bit earlier for your Dad and he would probably be pretty pleased knowing your hubs visa was due pretty soon and he'd be hot on your heels.

Best of luck with it all and let us know if there's anything else that can be helped with.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to know states which sponsor a special job ? jgamal Visas and immigration 1 07-04-2011 08:34 PM
under what circumstances would a Spouse Visa be rejected? TreadMark501 Visas and immigration 4 01-15-2011 09:45 AM
VE-175 change of circumstances undertaker Visas and immigration 4 04-23-2010 06:44 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.