What visa will get me into oz to apply for onshore partner visa

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree2Likes

What visa will get me into oz to apply for onshore partner visa

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

What visa will get me into oz to apply for onshore partner visa

Hi, my wife and I are looking to migrate to Brisbane next year. She and both of our children are Australian citizens. I’m not really sure what visa I should be applying for.

I see the offshore partner visa can take 13 months, which will mean we can’t move over until 2020, which isn’t ideal. Ideally I want to apply for the onshore visa, but my only question is how do I get onshore in the first place in order to apply! I need to be working pretty much as soon as we arrive so whatever visa I start out with will need to allow me to work.

Is this possible or do we just need to wait the 13 months? I work in IT and qualify for skilled workers migration but that costs $3000 and I’m not sure if I’d still then have to pay the $7000 to get the onshore when I get over.

Any help is massively appreciated as this is more complicated than it was to get my wife’s uk citizenship, which at the time felt like a nightmare!

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,952
Users Flag! From australia

1448 likes received
401 likes given
The Skilled path is certainly cheaper.

You will be able to get a visa to get onshore but no work for 3 months might be the ETA or Evisitor.

You don't yet know what a nightmare is!

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:43 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

Hmm, interesring. Maybe I should just go for skilled migrant then. If I went for the evisitor or whatever, I could apply for onshore then? I’d be issued with a bridging visa or something while I wait for the perm visa?

Thanks for your reply!

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:17 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,952
Users Flag! From australia

1448 likes received
401 likes given
Yes the electronic version for UK passport holders, apply for the 820 and get a Bridging Visa A granted - that kicks in after 3 months.

Yes on the Bridging Visa till 820 is decided - need to get a Bridging Visa B if you want to travel during the wait.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Syney NSW
Posts: 5,372
Users Flag! From australia

901 likes received
386 likes given
The first criterion is to adopt a visa strategy that has the best prospects of success.
Then, for most people, come minimising costs and periods of family separation.

For the skilled independent or state/territory pathway there is no assurance of a qualified applicant ever receiving an invitation to apply for a visa and for 'employer sponsored' the overall costs would be greater than the cost of a partner application.

It might pay you to consult one of the registered migration agents who posts on this forum (they are all ok) for advice about developing a visa strategy.

BTW The cost of a skilled visa when the VAC and ancillary costs are included would be considerably more than $3000.

Westly Russell
Registered Migration Agent
Number 0316072

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:43 PM
CCMS's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cairns
Posts: 6,566
Users Flag! From australia

2424 likes received
181 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to CCMS
It is complicated.

As Westley said, get some professional advice, work out the different scenarios, costs and requirements and then make an informed decision.

The options may seem overwhelming at first, but once you narrow it down to what is actually possible, it will become much easier to develop a realistic strategy.

wrussell likes this.
Nick van Voorst
Registered Migration Agent 0640648

Please do not send Private Messages.
For any inquiries, please visit our website: AUSVISA or download OUR APP from the Apple Store or Google Play

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:46 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6,952
Users Flag! From australia

1448 likes received
401 likes given
Originally Posted by wrussell View Post
(they are all ok)

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2018, 11:33 PM
Eh? Eh? is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: QLD
Posts: 915
Users Flag! From canada

192 likes received
56 likes given
Originally Posted by ampk View Post
Agreed! The fact that so many take time from their days and their job to come here and provide advice has been an invaluable resource for a lot of people, myself included.

No disrespect to the other fine RMA’s who are around these parts but the two who have given you advice are in my opinion two of the best RMA’s we have here.

Good luck!

LadyRogueRayne likes this.
309/100 Visa Timeline:
Applied (309): February 12th, 2018, in Canada.
Front Loaded Application.
Visa Granted: March 20th, 2018.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2018, 12:29 AM
LadyRogueRayne's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,114
Users Flag! From usa

280 likes received
1479 likes given
Totally agree with the other statements that your first step should be a consultation with a RMA. The whole visa process is a murky one and RMAs know the ins and outs of it all.

If you go for a skilled visa, then you could possibly get PR through that. So no, you wouldn't have to pay the $3k+ for the PR skilled visa (such as the 189), then turn around and pay the $7k+ for the partner visa. However, with both choices, if you want to apply onshore, you will have to wait out the 3 months on the ETA visa before a bridging visa kicks in...meaning you wouldn't be able to work for those first 3 months.

Definitely talk with a RMA to go over your possibilities. It's worth it in the long run.


Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Applied for 820: 5 Oct 16
Submitted FBI Checks: 27 Jan 17
Submitted Medicals: 12 Apr 17
CO contact: 18 Apr 2017 Request AFP checks & Form 80
Submitted Requested Docs: 1 May 17
820 Visa Grant: 4 May 17
Applied for 801: 8 Sept 18
CO contact: 26 Apr 19 (call & email/son's State PC)
801 Visa Grant: 13 Sep 2019

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2018, 06:06 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

Wow thanks for all the advice everyone, invaluable. How do I go about seeking consultation from an rma?

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Me and my gf are planning to apply for partner visa subclass 820 onshore TipeneandJi Visas and immigration 8 05-15-2015 04:48 AM
2nd WHV has expired 3 months and want to get back into Oz on a WHV... PLEASE HELP!!! IrishGal Visas and immigration 4 06-21-2013 02:04 PM
Oz oz oz !!! kat2110 New member introductions 2 01-19-2013 03:45 PM
OZ OZ OZ ! missing friends ! I really need help ! pimlfo General chit-chat and news 2 01-28-2011 07:47 AM
Can I get into lecturing with a Mastes in a Oz Uni?? Geenerman Education 2 01-26-2010 06:39 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.