Visa situation!Over 30 and want to travel.

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Visa situation!Over 30 and want to travel.

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

Visa situation!Over 30 and want to travel.

Hi all

My boyfriend and I are heading out to Oz in February 2010 and we need a little advice/guidance on the best visa for him to get.

He is 32 and so does not qualify for the working holiday visa. He is a qualified electrician so has a trade but the skilled trades visa is for those looking to migrate and is quite costly we have recently found out and we had planned on doing a little travelling before/if we decide to stay for longer.

His sister lives in Queensland and we intend to stay with her for a few weeks, before travelling around the rest of Oz and we hope to possibly get work, if we decide to stop somewhere for a period of time. I am a secondary English teacher and am hopeful that I'll be able to pick up some supply teaching work out there on my working holiday visa but my boyfriend will have a different visa.

We have savings and thought that he could just go on a tourist visa but that only lasts for 3 months and we ideally want to stay for longer (possibly 6 months). The difficulty with a sponsored visa is that we would have to stay in the same place for a period of time and it does not allow us to be flexible. Is it possible to change your visa from a toursit to a sponsored or skilled visa if we do find work and decide to stay in one place?

I have heard some people say the fly to Fiji or NZ when their tourist visa is running out and then apply and go back obviously he couldn't work if he did this), is this common?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 228
Please update your flag here .

44 likes received
Well, while its true that you cannot work under a tourist visa (and I would HIGHLY recommend sticking to that, especially if you have the intention of maybe migrating there), I just had a look on the website and it looks like you can apply for tourist visa's that last longer than 3 months, or extend your visa:

"What does this visa let me do?

If granted, this visa will allow you either a single or multiple entry to Australia for a stay period of up to three, six or 12 months.

The period of stay and number of entries granted will depend on the purpose of the visit and your personal circumstances." Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

"Extending your stay
If you are in Australia and want to extend your stay for tourism purposes, you must apply for a new visa at least two weeks before your current visa expires.

A Tourist visa may be granted if you:

•have complied with the conditions of your previous visa
•meet all the eligibility criteria for this visa
•do not have a 'No further stay' condition on your visa.
You should note that a further visa, if granted, will cease any visa or ETA currently held and the entitlements attached to that visa or ETA.

If a decision has not been made on your application before your original visa expires, you will be able to remain lawfully in Australia until the application has been finalised.

If you are refused a further visa, you must leave Australia before the expiry of your authorised stay period." Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

So, it sounds like you could get a longer lasting visa.... I would call your local immigration office to find out how that works exactly--i remember when i went to Oz on a tourist visa, i was automatically granted 3 months with no further stay so there might be a special form or whatever that you need to fill out to get longer....

Also, are you australian? Have you and your boyfriend been together for the past 12 months? You might want to look into Partner migration if you do decide to move to australia ( Otherwise, your boyfriend could always look to get sponsored for a work permit while you are visiting.

If the main goal is to travel AND work though, im not too sure what you can do as you are no longer eligible for a WHV...

Id call immi and talk to them about your options and the best way to get an extended tourist visa.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

Thanks elkitten, this is a great help.

One thing that concerned me with what you said was that I am no longer qualified for a WHV...? Is that what you meant? I am not an Australian but intended on applying for a WHV for my stay.

Another option I have been thinking about is whether my boyfriend could be sponsored by his sister who owns a business out there? Although this would mean he couldn't work elsewhere I'm presuming?

I'll definitely look into extending the tourist visa option, thanks. Has anyone else had experience of this?

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
856 Visa and situation pagla Visas and immigration 1 07-30-2011 01:09 PM
Spouse visa/complicated situation Menjiii Visas and immigration 4 07-01-2011 05:25 AM
Advise with visa situation pmminov Visas and immigration 1 04-19-2011 06:15 PM
De facto visa - difficult situation american Visas and immigration 6 10-02-2010 09:09 PM
Is there a visa for this situation??? honeygirl Visas and immigration 6 10-17-2009 03:47 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.