"Will Document" Advice for Partner Visa - How / Who / Where?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Aussie in Thailand
  • 1 Post By JandE
  • 1 Post By Aussie in Thailand
  • 1 Post By CCMS
  • 1 Post By JandE
  • 3 Post By CCMS

"Will Document" Advice for Partner Visa - How / Who / Where?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 92
Users Flag! From usa

13 likes received
78 likes given
"Will Document" Advice for Partner Visa - How / Who / Where?

Hi Y'all -

Putting together documentation now for the 801. We've since married after getting the 820 and have heaps of evidence for the 801, but don't have a "Will." It was on the list for the 820 and again on the 801, but haven't done it yet. Probably should anyways now that we're married (we don't own a home or have children yet, but financials are combined, have many shared possessions, etc).

Who did you get a Will through? How hard was it? How much was it?

Please provide tips to us on getting a Will.

Thanks :-)


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Phitsanulok Thailand
Posts: 117
Users Flag! From australia

35 likes received
57 likes given
Hi there

Wills are very easy. You can spend $200-$400 getting a will done through a solicitor or you can purchase an Australian Will Kit online and follow the very clear advice that is provided. You need to choose an Executor who will administer your estate should you die. You also need to lodge the original copy of the will with someone, usually the executor.

There is plenty of information online regarding Australian Wills.

Hope this helps!

GDayAus likes this.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australlia
Posts: 4,598
Users Flag! From australia

920 likes received
283 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDayAus View Post
Hi Y'all -

Putting together documentation now for the 801. We've since married after getting the 820 and have heaps of evidence for the 801, but don't have a "Will." It was on the list for the 820 and again on the 801, but haven't done it yet. Probably should anyways now that we're married (we don't own a home or have children yet, but financials are combined, have many shared possessions, etc).

Who did you get a Will through? How hard was it? How much was it?

Please provide tips to us on getting a Will.

Thanks :-)
A will is always a good thing to have, but not vital for the Visa.
I kept intending to get round to doing one for the visa, but never did.

We got the visa grant anyway.

Each State has a Public Trustee that can provide a free will-making service to all Queenslander.

eg: The Public Trustee of Queensland provides a free will-making service to all Queenslanders. https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-de...-probate/wills

GDayAus likes this.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Phitsanulok Thailand
Posts: 117
Users Flag! From australia

35 likes received
57 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandE View Post
A will is always a good thing to have, but not vital for the Visa.
I kept intending to get round to doing one for the visa, but never did.

We got the visa grant anyway.

Each State has a Public Trustee that can provide a free will-making service to all Queenslander.

eg: The Public Trustee of Queensland provides a free will-making service to all Queenslanders. https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-de...-probate/wills
Good point JandE - the only issue I have with State Trustees is that in the event of death they take a very high % of the Estate. Just something to be aware of but yes they do provide "free" Will service.

GDayAus likes this.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2019, 07:21 PM
CCMS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cairns
Posts: 6,361
Users Flag! From australia

2365 likes received
164 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to CCMS
As others have said, a basic will is easy to do, either by doing it yourself, seeing the Public Trustee ( note Aussie in Thailand’s comment about fees) or a solicitor.

If there are property or significant assets, children or other family ( including relatives overseas) to consider, a proper will may cost a lot more, especially if you also need powers of attorney and the like. It may save a lot of drama and expenses down the track though, if you get it done properly.

Whether you need it for the 801 documentation or not , it is always good to have at least something basic in place.

You can also have a look at listing each other as superannuation beneficiaries, if you haven’t already done so.

GDayAus likes this.
__________________
Nick van Voorst
Registered Migration Agent 0640648

Please do not send Private Messages.
For any inquiries, please visit our website: AUSVISA or download OUR APP from the Apple Store or Google Play

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australlia
Posts: 4,598
Users Flag! From australia

920 likes received
283 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie in Thailand View Post
Good point JandE - the only issue I have with State Trustees is that in the event of death they take a very high % of the Estate. Just something to be aware of but yes they do provide "free" Will service.
I've just had a look at those fees, and it looks like it costs a lot to sort things out after death.

I used to have one with the Public Trustee of NSW, but that would have ceased on marriage.
(Once you get married, any existing Will becomes invalid (unless it was made in 'contemplation of marriage').)

I wonder what it costs, after death, without a will...

GDayAus likes this.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2019, 09:49 PM
CCMS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cairns
Posts: 6,361
Users Flag! From australia

2365 likes received
164 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to CCMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandE View Post
I've just had a look at those fees, and it looks like it costs a lot to sort things out after death.

I used to have one with the Public Trustee of NSW, but that would have ceased on marriage.
(Once you get married, any existing Will becomes invalid (unless it was made in 'contemplation of marriage').)

I wonder what it costs, after death, without a will...
I used to have a will with the Public Trustee, but could never get an answer to my question about fees after death. I have been told it can be quite substantial.

It is interesting to talk to a good solicitor about wills, as they raise all sort of issues you may not think of yourself. For example if you have super, existing life insurance, are self-employed, children from previous relationships, ex-partners, step children, property ownership, pre-nuptials etc. The number of potential complications is endless.

Like with everything else, you get what you pay for. I doesn't hurt to pay for an initial consultation, so you can make an informed decision.
__________________
Nick van Voorst
Registered Migration Agent 0640648

Please do not send Private Messages.
For any inquiries, please visit our website: AUSVISA or download OUR APP from the Apple Store or Google Play

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2019, 03:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Phitsanulok Thailand
Posts: 117
Users Flag! From australia

35 likes received
57 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandE View Post

I wonder what it costs, after death, without a will...
If you die intestate (not having a will at time of death) the Public Trustees are responsible for administering your affairs including all payments relating to your death incl funeral. PT are responsible for probate and determining who are beneficiaries.

If you have assets (including superannuation as CCMS advises) you are doing your intended beneficiaries a great injustice as they will go through a world of hurt, anguish and uncertainty. Probate will take a very long time and so any assets you have at the time of your death will not be dispersed until probate is granted (by law).

The fees Public Trustees can charge are very high if they are appointed the Executor of your will. The fees are even higher in the event of no will. Any costs associated with your death are of course deducted from your assets and are additional to the PT fees.

Sadly if you die without assets and no will, the Public Trustees will arrange burial / cremation and you will be placed in an unmarked grave (used to be known as a paupers grave).


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australlia
Posts: 4,598
Users Flag! From australia

920 likes received
283 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie in Thailand View Post
If you die intestate (not having a will at time of death) the Public Trustees are responsible for administering your affairs including all payments relating to your death incl funeral. PT are responsible for probate and determining who are beneficiaries.

If you have assets (including superannuation as CCMS advises) you are doing your intended beneficiaries a great injustice as they will go through a world of hurt, anguish and uncertainty. Probate will take a very long time and so any assets you have at the time of your death will not be dispersed until probate is granted (by law).

The fees Public Trustees can charge are very high if they are appointed the Executor of your will. The fees are even higher in the event of no will. Any costs associated with your death are of course deducted from your assets and are additional to the PT fees.

Sadly if you die without assets and no will, the Public Trustees will arrange burial / cremation and you will be placed in an unmarked grave (used to be known as a paupers grave).
Time to do my will again, I think...


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com