Bring wife back, do on-shore or off-shore application?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Bring wife back, do on-shore or off-shore application?

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2019, 07:33 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 9
Please update your flag here .

2 likes given
Bring wife back, do on-shore or off-shore application?

Hi there,

I'm an Australian Citizen (born in) and my wife is not, we are currently living in Hong Kong and I wish to bring her back to Australia with me. We live together and married.

Now I see there is on-shore application and off-shore application.

Why should I choose one over the other?

Lets say I wished to bring my wife back to Australia via the on-shore, should she then come in on a holiday Visa and then we attempt to apply on-shore? But that seems not totally correct, since you should enter Australia on the Visa you intend to enter with...? I mean, if you enter with the a tourist Visa and then try to change to a partner Visa is that ok to do?

So why should I bring her back with one or the other, on-shore or off-shore? Why is one more suitable than another?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2019, 08:44 AM
CCMS's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cairns
Posts: 6,501
Users Flag! From australia

2397 likes received
178 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to CCMS
It really depends on your time frame and future plans. If you intend to stay in HK for another year or so, apply offshore.

On the other hand, if you decided to come on a family holiday and your wife was in Australia on a visitor visa without “ no further stay condition”, she might decide to stay in Australia and apply for an onshore partner visa instead.

Feel free to drop me a line if you need help.

Nick van Voorst
Registered Migration Agent 0640648

Please do not send Private Messages.
For any inquiries, please visit our website: AUSVISA or download OUR APP from the Apple Store or Google Play

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australlia
Posts: 5,103
Users Flag! From australia

1030 likes received
309 likes given
Originally Posted by philip368320 View Post
if you enter with the a tourist Visa and then try to change to a partner Visa is that ok to do?
Some people bring their partner to Australia, to see what they think of the the country.
Some then decide that it is worth applying for a partner visa onshore, after they realise that they want to stay after all.

Full Timeline:

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2019, 10:58 PM
A&M A&M is offline
Active Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 49
Users Flag! From australia

3 likes received
7 likes given
If she holds a hong kong passport she can come on an ETA visa and apply for the partner visa on-shore, otherwise applying offshore can also be an option if you can / want to spend another couple years before returning to Australia.

Last edited by A&M; 11-17-2019 at 11:01 PM.

Reply With Quote

partner 100, partner 801, partner 801 overseas, partner migration

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.