Sponsor for 820 Visa

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock747
  • 1 Post By JandE

Sponsor for 820 Visa


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2020, 02:42 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Users Flag! From australia

Sponsor for 820 Visa

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if the new law has come into effect?

Does the sponsor need to be approved first? Everything I've read online is very confusing. On the immigration website, it still seems like the main application and sponsor application can be done at the same time.

I'm just worried that if I need to be approved as a sponsor first, then my husband can't come on a 3-month temporary visa.

If anyone could give me any insight or talk about their experience, that would be great. Thanks!


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2020, 02:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australlia
Posts: 5,256
Users Flag! From australia

1051 likes received
315 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja1 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if the new law has come into effect?

Does the sponsor need to be approved first? Everything I've read online is very confusing. On the immigration website, it still seems like the main application and sponsor application can be done at the same time.

I'm just worried that if I need to be approved as a sponsor first, then my husband can't come on a 3-month temporary visa.

If anyone could give me any insight or talk about their experience, that would be great. Thanks!
It is still the old rules, applicant applies first, then the sponsor immediately after.

No idea when the change will happen.

__________________
Full Timeline: www.australiaforum.com/immigration-timelines/131018

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2020, 07:11 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 8
Please update your flag here .

1 likes received
Does the sponsor questions of nature of commitment, development of relationship etc have to be different to applicant or can you use the same answers?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2020, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 298
Users Flag! From ghana

43 likes received
3 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca2104 View Post
Does the sponsor questions of nature of commitment, development of relationship etc have to be different to applicant or can you use the same answers?
Different wording, but the general content should be the same. Convey the same story, and when it about numbers like dates or finances, should be the same

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2020, 11:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Does the sponsor have to fill in a form / answer questions about previous family violence history?

(I know that a police check is required for the sponsor, but) I want to know if/what questions I (the sponsor) will have to answer. Cheers.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2020, 05:37 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Posts: 17
Users Flag! From usa

1 likes received
10 likes given
If I may ask a related question...

Let's suppose Australia decides to go ahead with the proposed changes to the sponsorship process. Is that something that would likely be effective immediately, or might there be a delay (i.e., changes have been approved, they go into effect in XXX days)? I just would hate to get caught in a situation such as having sold off our home and other assets in the USA ahead of relocating to Oz for an onshore 820 application, and then this rule goes into effect and now we have to apply offshore but we already sold our stuff and maybe already left our jobs, if that makes sense. I know there is that risk but I don't know how big a risk.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 298
Users Flag! From ghana

43 likes received
3 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone View Post
If I may ask a related question...

Let's suppose Australia decides to go ahead with the proposed changes to the sponsorship process. Is that something that would likely be effective immediately, or might there be a delay (i.e., changes have been approved, they go into effect in XXX days)? I just would hate to get caught in a situation such as having sold off our home and other assets in the USA ahead of relocating to Oz for an onshore 820 application, and then this rule goes into effect and now we have to apply offshore but we already sold our stuff and maybe already left our jobs, if that makes sense. I know there is that risk but I don't know how big a risk.
It wouldnt be immediately. They will give an effective date.

jbone likes this.
__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2020, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australlia
Posts: 5,256
Users Flag! From australia

1051 likes received
315 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock747 View Post
It wouldnt be immediately. They will give an effective date.
As the law has already passed, and they may feel that everyone knows about it, I wouldn't expect much more advance notice than they have already given.

Immigration are not known for being too considerate.

jbone likes this.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:24 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com