Centrelink communicating with Immigration

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree2Likes

Centrelink communicating with Immigration


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2020, 12:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: NSW
Posts: 55
Users Flag! From czechrepublic

1 likes received
26 likes given
Question Centrelink communicating with Immigration

Hello,

I read that Centrelink communicates with the Immigration when it comes to Partner Visas and that if they see you haven't registered your partner, they might be suspicious about the relationship, possibly refuse the visa.

My partner has gone directly to Centrelink shortly after I arrived in Australia, and told them I am living with him, and we uploaded the Partner Form soon after. Silly me, I didn't check if this got updated on his Centrelink account (this is all new to me). A few months later, I checked, and there was no record of me there.

So we went to Centrelink, and they sorted it; however, they said that the system wants to give us $1600 debt if we put the date I moved in to be a few months ago (the actual date) because it seems like we didn't notify them on time (which we did). So the lady said she would just put the current date as the date we moved in.

I am worried now that if the Immigration talks with the Centrelink they might see a different date of me moving in and think we are untruthful.

No idea what to do in this situation... or if they will check that... but I don't want to take any chances.

Do you have any ideas?

TLDR: Centrelink fucked up and wrote a different date we moved in together so that we would not have to pay debt because of their mistake. Will this look suspicious to immigration, because I heard they communicate with them (in relation to Partner Visa)


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 743
Users Flag! From australia

168 likes received
40 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy144 View Post
Hello,

I read that Centrelink communicates with the Immigration when it comes to Partner Visas and that if they see you haven't registered your partner, they might be suspicious about the relationship, possibly refuse the visa.

My partner has gone directly to Centrelink shortly after I arrived in Australia, and told them I am living with him, and we uploaded the Partner Form soon after. Silly me, I didn't check if this got updated on his Centrelink account (this is all new to me). A few months later, I checked, and there was no record of me there.

So we went to Centrelink, and they sorted it; however, they said that the system wants to give us $1600 debt if we put the date I moved in to be a few months ago (the actual date) because it seems like we didn't notify them on time (which we did). So the lady said she would just put the current date as the date we moved in.

I am worried now that if the Immigration talks with the Centrelink they might see a different date of me moving in and think we are untruthful.

No idea what to do in this situation... or if they will check that... but I don't want to take any chances.

Do you have any ideas?

TLDR: Centrelink fucked up and wrote a different date we moved in together so that we would not have to pay debt because of their mistake. Will this look suspicious to immigration, because I heard they communicate with them (in relation to Partner Visa)
It's not a fine it's paying money back that shouldn't of been paid in the first instance.
Think of it this way for immigration you are telling them you've been together (dates just for example) 1/1/2018 but then for another government Dept you say from 1/10/2018 it will raise questions. Remember you are trying to prove to someone who doesn't know you that you are in a relationship so if you have discrepancies like that it will of course raise questions


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2020, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 390
Users Flag! From australia

96 likes received
66 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy144 View Post
Hello,

I read that Centrelink communicates with the Immigration when it comes to Partner Visas and that if they see you haven't registered your partner, they might be suspicious about the relationship, possibly refuse the visa.

My partner has gone directly to Centrelink shortly after I arrived in Australia, and told them I am living with him, and we uploaded the Partner Form soon after. Silly me, I didn't check if this got updated on his Centrelink account (this is all new to me). A few months later, I checked, and there was no record of me there.

So we went to Centrelink, and they sorted it; however, they said that the system wants to give us $1600 debt if we put the date I moved in to be a few months ago (the actual date) because it seems like we didn't notify them on time (which we did). So the lady said she would just put the current date as the date we moved in.

I am worried now that if the Immigration talks with the Centrelink they might see a different date of me moving in and think we are untruthful.

No idea what to do in this situation... or if they will check that... but I don't want to take any chances.

Do you have any ideas?

TLDR: Centrelink fucked up and wrote a different date we moved in together so that we would not have to pay debt because of their mistake. Will this look suspicious to immigration, because I heard they communicate with them (in relation to Partner Visa)
Do your husband have a record of telling centrelink like a phone record of when he called? Honestly I doubt the datamatching is that sophisticated but I would be prepared to have other evidence to prove to dibp you moved in on that date such as mail to address etc


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2020, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 85
Users Flag! From australia

17 likes received
4 likes given
You should have paid the Centrelink debt. Like the previous poster pointed out, it's not a fine. Now everything is being complicated because you wouldn't pay up and it might go against you for your visa.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 743
Users Flag! From australia

168 likes received
40 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_ghazal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy144 View Post
Hello,

I read that Centrelink communicates with the Immigration when it comes to Partner Visas and that if they see you haven't registered your partner, they might be suspicious about the relationship, possibly refuse the visa.

My partner has gone directly to Centrelink shortly after I arrived in Australia, and told them I am living with him, and we uploaded the Partner Form soon after. Silly me, I didn't check if this got updated on his Centrelink account (this is all new to me). A few months later, I checked, and there was no record of me there.

So we went to Centrelink, and they sorted it; however, they said that the system wants to give us $1600 debt if we put the date I moved in to be a few months ago (the actual date) because it seems like we didn't notify them on time (which we did). So the lady said she would just put the current date as the date we moved in.

I am worried now that if the Immigration talks with the Centrelink they might see a different date of me moving in and think we are untruthful.

No idea what to do in this situation... or if they will check that... but I don't want to take any chances.

Do you have any ideas?

TLDR: Centrelink fucked up and wrote a different date we moved in together so that we would not have to pay debt because of their mistake. Will this look suspicious to immigration, because I heard they communicate with them (in relation to Partner Visa)
Do your husband have a record of telling centrelink like a phone record of when he called? Honestly I doubt the datamatching is that sophisticated but I would be prepared to have other evidence to prove to dibp you moved in on that date such as mail to address etc
The data matching is that sophisticated, and much more besides. Also DHA can also feed the incorrect information to Centrelink. Even if there is a record once you become aware of the issue you are obligated to correct it. It was nice of the Centrelink person to try and help them out but they were only looking at their side of things


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 506
Users Flag! From uk

116 likes received
51 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_ghazal View Post
Do your husband have a record of telling centrelink like a phone record of when he called? Honestly I doubt the datamatching is that sophisticated but I would be prepared to have other evidence to prove to dibp you moved in on that date such as mail to address etc
You should assume that anything the Government knows, Home Affairs knows.

Mish likes this.
__________________
Paul Hand
Registered Migration Agent 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australlia
Posts: 5,563
Users Flag! From australia

1102 likes received
325 likes given
The following was in 2015, and in 2020 it will be even more linked.

Immigration and Human Services will combine their respective customer databases in an effort to shake out couples they suspect of marrying solely to obtain an Australian partner visa.

The data matching program will compare individual records held by both agencies with the intent of catching people claiming welfare as a single, but who have declared a relationship with Immigration as part of its partner visa program.


It is surprising that Centrelink were so flexible, even though being their error.

You should tell immigration the facts in advance, so they are aware, and not reject you immediately.

FreddoBee likes this.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2020, 05:47 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 30
Please update your flag here .

1 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy144 View Post
Hello,

I read that Centrelink communicates with the Immigration when it comes to Partner Visas and that if they see you haven't registered your partner, they might be suspicious about the relationship, possibly refuse the visa.

My partner has gone directly to Centrelink shortly after I arrived in Australia, and told them I am living with him, and we uploaded the Partner Form soon after. Silly me, I didn't check if this got updated on his Centrelink account (this is all new to me). A few months later, I checked, and there was no record of me there.

So we went to Centrelink, and they sorted it; however, they said that the system wants to give us $1600 debt if we put the date I moved in to be a few months ago (the actual date) because it seems like we didn't notify them on time (which we did). So the lady said she would just put the current date as the date we moved in.

I am worried now that if the Immigration talks with the Centrelink they might see a different date of me moving in and think we are untruthful.

No idea what to do in this situation... or if they will check that... but I don't want to take any chances.

Do you have any ideas?

TLDR: Centrelink fucked up and wrote a different date we moved in together so that we would not have to pay debt because of their mistake. Will this look suspicious to immigration, because I heard they communicate with them (in relation to Partner Visa)
Hello
Please make it clear : if I’m on PMV, I haven’t got to Australia yet, but my partner has requested for Centrelink payments as being single person, will it lead to a problem ?


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2020, 01:40 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 30
Please update your flag here .

1 likes received
Maybe someone can please explain in two words. I can’t figure out, can the fact that my partner requested for Centrelink payments due to coronavirus situation impact negatively when in the future we apply for my TR visa 820 ? Will we get separated again 😰 maybe someone can just point to a resource where I can read the information ...


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2020, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australlia
Posts: 5,563
Users Flag! From australia

1102 likes received
325 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodra View Post
Hello
Please make it clear : if Iím on PMV, I havenít got to Australia yet, but my partner has requested for Centrelink payments as being single person, will it lead to a problem ?
Not if the relationship is explained very clearly to Centrelink.

ie: Do not hide the relationship.

A person can still claim.

I tried when we were doing my wifes PMV, due to her being unable to work while on a Visitor visa here. I explained our relationship and visa application very clearly.

Actually a Centrelink staff member, who knew our situation, advised me to apply.

I was however refused the single status, (and therefore higher payment), due to my income being too high anyway, but it did not affect the PMV application. We got the grant.

__________________
Visa Route: 600/300/600/820/801 PMV to PR 44 months.
Full Timeline: www.australiaforum.com/immigration-timelines/131018

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
centrelink, dates, evidence, immigration, partner, partner visa, partner visa 820, sponsor

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com