Job hunting on 309 and the transition to 100

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Job hunting on 309 and the transition to 100


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2020, 10:22 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Please update your flag here .

Job hunting on 309 and the transition to 100

Hi all,

Hope everyone's staying safe! I just have two quick questions on 309 visa:

1. What was everyone's experience like when job hunting on the 309 visa (especially for roles that required PR/citizenship)?

2. Is it common to fail to convert to the 100 visa, assuming that the couple is still together/there are no significant changes/red flags? In other words, what's the success rate?

Thanks in advance!


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2020, 11:48 AM
Eh? Eh? is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: QLD
Posts: 995
Users Flag! From canada

217 likes received
56 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosx44 View Post
Hi all,

Hope everyone's staying safe! I just have two quick questions on 309 visa:

1. What was everyone's experience like when job hunting on the 309 visa (especially for roles that required PR/citizenship)?

2. Is it common to fail to convert to the 100 visa, assuming that the couple is still together/there are no significant changes/red flags? In other words, what's the success rate?

Thanks in advance!
1. It was no different than applying for any other job. When asked about status I always said I had a partner visa. No issues, really. I applied three places and interviewed for all them and got the jobs. So donít over think it.

2. Not sure what you mean. If you fail to obtain the 100, the 309 is cancelled. But as long as you have a genuine and ongoing relationship that you can provide proof for, you should be fine.

__________________
309/100 Visa Timeline:

Applied 309: 12/02/2018, in Canada.
Visa Granted: 20/03/2018.
Applied 100: 29/06/2020, eligible 12/01/2020.
RFI: 02/07/2020.
RFI Uploaded: 06/07/2020.
Visa Granted: 16/07/2020.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eh? View Post
1. It was no different than applying for any other job. When asked about status I always said I had a partner visa. No issues, really. I applied three places and interviewed for all them and got the jobs. So donít over think it.

2. Not sure what you mean. If you fail to obtain the 100, the 309 is cancelled. But as long as you have a genuine and ongoing relationship that you can provide proof for, you should be fine.
Thanks for the answers! Sorry I should've been clearer, kind of typed this up in a rush.

Regarding the first question, may I ask if the jobs were your typical permanent office jobs? I am asking this because I imagine it will be easier for contract jobs but I am just trying to plan ahead and see if I will have any difficulties finding a permanent role/ones that require PR/citizenship.

For the second question, I was essentially asking whether there are other things that may 'disqualify' me as an applicant for the 100, or is it okay as long as I continue to meet the relationship requirements? If it is the latter, does that mean most, if not all couples that stay together eventually lead to the 100?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2020, 02:36 PM
Eh? Eh? is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: QLD
Posts: 995
Users Flag! From canada

217 likes received
56 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosx44 View Post
Regarding the first question, may I ask if the jobs were your typical permanent office jobs? I am asking this because I imagine it will be easier for contract jobs but I am just trying to plan ahead and see if I will have any difficulties finding a permanent role/ones that require PR/citizenship.
All of my jobs were in a professional office setting and were permanent full time jobs. Again, I still didn't have any issues. Jobs that require citizenship, well they will usually require citizenship in order to obtain.

Quote:
For the second question, I was essentially asking whether there are other things that may 'disqualify' me as an applicant for the 100, or is it okay as long as I continue to meet the relationship requirements? If it is the latter, does that mean most, if not all couples that stay together eventually lead to the 100?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
What would disqualify you from the 100 is if your relationship to your partner (sponsor) stops and/or they withdraw their sponsorship.

No application or relationship is the same, but as long as you and your partner continue to have a genuine relationship and you are able to prove that come time to submit the new evidence, you should be fine.

__________________
309/100 Visa Timeline:

Applied 309: 12/02/2018, in Canada.
Visa Granted: 20/03/2018.
Applied 100: 29/06/2020, eligible 12/01/2020.
RFI: 02/07/2020.
RFI Uploaded: 06/07/2020.
Visa Granted: 16/07/2020.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2020, 01:45 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,213
Users Flag! From australia

3687 likes received
1175 likes given
If the job requires you to have PR or citizenship they generally will not offer you the job on a 309. Federal jobs and usually citizenship only.

You should be able to find a permanent full time job on a 309 though.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2020, 02:13 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Please update your flag here .

Thanks both, I am not seeking for federal jobs or jobs that strictly require citizenship. I am asking this as there are quite a few corporate roles that require PR/citizenship, which is I'm assuming is mostly because they don't want to bother with sponsorship so I was wondering if anyone managed to convince their employer in a similar situation.

Regardless, it is comforting to know that the path from the 309 to 100 feels more 'certain' compared to the 309.

Thanks again!


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2020, 05:16 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,213
Users Flag! From australia

3687 likes received
1175 likes given
Some companies will ask for PR or citizenship as those on temporary visas they are concerned that they will leave when their visa expires etc and they waste all the time on training them.

You could try applying for the position and see how you go and make sure you explain that the visa is a provisional visa and if all requirements are met your PR gets granted.

They may change their mind once they understand the visa.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2020, 05:46 PM
Eh? Eh? is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: QLD
Posts: 995
Users Flag! From canada

217 likes received
56 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post
You could try applying for the position and see how you go and make sure you explain that the visa is a provisional visa and if all requirements are met your PR gets granted.

They may change their mind once they understand the visa.
That's what I did for one of my jobs. They asked if my visa was permanent and I explained the process, even sent them a link to the 309/100 page from the department website. It seemed to satisfy them as they hired me on. The other jobs I applied for online and when asked about working rights in Australia it had an option for being on a partner visa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosx44 View Post
Regardless, it is comforting to know that the path from the 309 to 100 feels more 'certain' compared to the 309.

Thanks again!
Nothing is certain, especially when dealing with immigration. But, if you're still in a genuine relationship with your sponsor, it is far less to worry about. You just need to show the Department that.

__________________
309/100 Visa Timeline:

Applied 309: 12/02/2018, in Canada.
Visa Granted: 20/03/2018.
Applied 100: 29/06/2020, eligible 12/01/2020.
RFI: 02/07/2020.
RFI Uploaded: 06/07/2020.
Visa Granted: 16/07/2020.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2020, 07:57 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Some companies will ask for PR or citizenship as those on temporary visas they are concerned that they will leave when their visa expires etc and they waste all the time on training them.

You could try applying for the position and see how you go and make sure you explain that the visa is a provisional visa and if all requirements are met your PR gets granted.

They may change their mind once they understand the visa.
Gotcha, will make sure to explain thoroughly when the time comes. Thanks a lot!


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2020, 07:58 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 14
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eh? View Post
That's what I did for one of my jobs. They asked if my visa was permanent and I explained the process, even sent them a link to the 309/100 page from the department website. It seemed to satisfy them as they hired me on. The other jobs I applied for online and when asked about working rights in Australia it had an option for being on a partner visa.



Nothing is certain, especially when dealing with immigration. But, if you're still in a genuine relationship with your sponsor, it is far less to worry about. You just need to show the Department that.
That makes sense, appreciate the help.


Reply With Quote
Reply

« Visa 116 | 801 »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:49 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com