600 to 820?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbone

600 to 820?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2020, 11:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

600 to 820?

Hi, My wife is Aussie I’m US citizen. Our plan is to retire and move to Australia Oct/2021. Conventional wisdom used to be go to Austr first then apply for 820 while in country. Is that still true with covid? Should I get a 600 and then apply for PR once there? Thx


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2020, 06:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Syney NSW
Posts: 5,536
Users Flag! From australia

916 likes received
394 likes given
You could apply and see what happens.

__________________
Westly Russell
Registered Migration Agent
Number 0316072
pinoyau.com

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2020, 08:47 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 46
Please update your flag here .

4 likes received
International boarder should be open by then! Before pandemic, I also applied visitor visa n came to Australia to travel for a month, then I change my plan I wanted to stay in Australia with my partner, therefore I wasted my return ticket back home and lodged the 820 just before my visitor visa nearly expired.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2020, 03:58 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingkitkat View Post
International boarder should be open by then! Before pandemic, I also applied visitor visa n came to Australia to travel for a month, then I change my plan I wanted to stay in Australia with my partner, therefore I wasted my return ticket back home and lodged the 820 just before my visitor visa nearly expired.
Thank you for your reply. That makes sense. I’m hoping borders will be open by then too.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2020, 06:42 PM
jbone's Avatar
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Posts: 43
Users Flag! From usa

5 likes received
20 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinMan View Post
Hi, My wife is Aussie Iím US citizen. Our plan is to retire and move to Australia Oct/2021. Conventional wisdom used to be go to Austr first then apply for 820 while in country. Is that still true with covid? Should I get a 600 and then apply for PR once there? Thx
Hey there,

Here's another idea for you. Please note, I'm no expert - I'm just going to talk about what I learned from this forum and by going through a process nearly identical to your current situation. Verify everything before you act, and registered migration agents are very helpful!

If you're not moving until next October, a full 12 months away, why not consider a 309 visa (offshore option) instead? If otherwise eligible, you could apply for that today and start the wait right now. If you have the visa approved before you move, great! You arrive next year, already a temporary if not permanent resident. But if you don't, you could apply for a 600 at that time and hop on over and wait out approval.

A couple catches with that plan: You wouldn't be able to work until the 309 is granted (but if you're retiring, probably not an issue), and the other is that a 600 visa has a chance of coming with a "No Further Stay" condition which means you cannot apply for another visa in the event your 309 is still unapproved when the 600 runs out. Do note, this could also derail a 600-to-820 plan. From what I see, most get lucky and do not have the condition, but it *could* be there for any or no reason. Of course the third option is you stay in the U.S. longer, until your 309 approves.

On the other hand, if by October of 2021 U.S. citizens can again apply for an ETA to enter Australia, there is no risk of "No Further Stay" being imposed. It's also cheaper, almost instant, and requires no medical check. My ETA's have always cost only $20 and been approved within minutes. But with COVID, ETA's aren't being granted right now. Either way... 600 or ETA... If you're still waiting on the 309 when you hop over, you would need to briefly leave Australia when your visa is ready to grant. You could hop to NZ for a weekend or something. ETA's are also short-term (3 months) but I think you can move from one ETA to another, or another type of visitor visa to remain on shore (can someone confirm or deny?)

Another thing to consider, if next year you get into Australia and apply for the 820 onshore whilst on a visitor visa, you'll move to a bridging visa which can let you stay until the 820 goes through, but is apparently less substantial than having residency. I don't know the full range of implications on that, as COVID forced my wife and I to abandon the plan to get onshore for an 820. We can't actually get onshore right now due to border restrictions. So, I stopped researching that path and we applied for a 309 instead. Also, if history is any indication, the visa could be even more expensive next year.

Kind of a lot to digest... but in the end, having just applied for a 309 rather than the 820 as we hoped, I am glad my clock is already ticking, and that I could very well arrive in Australia with residency already acquired, instead of bumming around on a bridging visa and being less sure of my eventual fate.

CCMS likes this.
__________________
September 4, 2020: 309 Lodged with Police Checks, USA. Time to hurry up and wait

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinMan View Post
Hi, My wife is Aussie I’m US citizen. Our plan is to retire and move to Australia Oct/2021. Conventional wisdom used to be go to Austr first then apply for 820 while in country. Is that still true with covid? Should I get a 600 and then apply for PR once there? Thx
Hey there,

Here's another idea for you. Please note, I'm no expert - I'm just going to talk about what I learned from this forum and by going through a process nearly identical to your current situation. Verify everything before you act, and registered migration agents are very helpful!

If you're not moving until next October, a full 12 months away, why not consider a 309 visa (offshore option) instead? If otherwise eligible, you could apply for that today and start the wait right now. If you have the visa approved before you move, great! You arrive next year, already a temporary if not permanent resident. But if you don't, you could apply for a 600 at that time and hop on over and wait out approval.

A couple catches with that plan: You wouldn't be able to work until the 309 is granted (but if you're retiring, probably not an issue), and the other is that a 600 visa has a chance of coming with a "No Further Stay" condition which means you cannot apply for another visa in the event your 309 is still unapproved when the 600 runs out. Do note, this could also derail a 600-to-820 plan. From what I see, most get lucky and do not have the condition, but it *could* be there for any or no reason. Of course the third option is you stay in the U.S. longer, until your 309 approves.

On the other hand, if by October of 2021 U.S. citizens can again apply for an ETA to enter Australia, there is no risk of "No Further Stay" being imposed. It's also cheaper, almost instant, and requires no medical check. My ETA's have always cost only $20 and been approved within minutes. But with COVID, ETA's aren't being granted right now. Either way... 600 or ETA... If you're still waiting on the 309 when you hop over, you would need to briefly leave Australia when your visa is ready to grant. You could hop to NZ for a weekend or something. ETA's are also short-term (3 months) but I think you can move from one ETA to another, or another type of visitor visa to remain on shore (can someone confirm or deny?)

Another thing to consider, if next year you get into Australia and apply for the 820 onshore whilst on a visitor visa, you'll move to a bridging visa which can let you stay until the 820 goes through, but is apparently less substantial than having residency. I don't know the full range of implications on that, as COVID forced my wife and I to abandon the plan to get onshore for an 820. We can't actually get onshore right now due to border restrictions. So, I stopped researching that path and we applied for a 309 instead. Also, if history is any indication, the visa could be even more expensive next year.

Kind of a lot to digest... but in the end, having just applied for a 309 rather than the 820 as we hoped, I am glad my clock is already ticking, and that I could very well arrive in Australia with residency already acquired, instead of bumming around on a bridging visa and being less sure of my eventual fate.
Thanks for your reply and we’ll said. My concern with a 309 is the waiting part. It might not be approved in less than 12 months and that would not work for me. From your reply, I wasn’t sure if you have a similar situation (Aussie spouse).


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com