600 visitor or 417 WHV for entry at the moment?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

600 visitor or 417 WHV for entry at the moment?

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2020, 10:47 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 6
Users Flag! From japan

2 likes given
600 visitor or 417 WHV for entry at the moment?

My partner of eight years and I are hoping to be reunited in Australia by the end of this year or very early next year. We have been separated for eight months now and it is really taking its mental toll on both of us.

We are about to apply for our Visitor/WHV and exemption. We are debating over which to apply for. We both currently have full-time work, but she would be quitting her job to come here, for many reasons, not least of which being her employer not allowing more than one week of leave (!). We hope to apply for the 820/801 onshore, but for the 600 we have to show that she's a genuine temporary entrant. She's from a country with a very low rate visa condition breaches, and would apply for the tourist stream and so is unlikely to get the 'no further stay' condition in the opinion of agents I have spoken with.

There's a lot of contradictory information on the net as to what GTE actually means. Some places say that so long as she abides by the conditions of the 600 visa and receives another substantive visa before its expiry date (e.g. Bridging Visa A), it's fine to come on the 600 visa, others say that would make visa refusal a possibility (although all of her family is in Japan, as are her savings and most of her possessions, which I think would satisfy GTE status...)

We had the idea to instead apply for a 417 visa, which allows entry for 12 months, 100% won't come with the no further stay condition, and doesn't need proof of GTE status. Are we overthinking it? Should we just go for a 600 like it seems most others are and be done with it??

Sorry for the wall of text. We're very grateful for any help.

To clarify: she is my de facto partner. We have a registered Civil Partnership in the ACT, and we are also engaged (we were to marry this year, but alas corona happened and put the kibosh on those plans)

Last edited by BudouSuki; 10-18-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Reply With Quote

417 visa, 600 visitor visa, 820 801 partner spouse visa, exemption, japan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.