Would i qualify for a permanent visa?!

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Would i qualify for a permanent visa?!

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Would i qualify for a permanent visa?!

Hi guys,

I have a simple question regarding eligibility for permanent residence in Australia. From my research it seems i would be eligible, but i just want to get your opinions since alot of you are very knowledgeable in the subject.

Im a Polish citizen, 27 yrs of age currently living in Ireland. I have a Bachelors degree in Hospitality Management from New York University.

Two questions. Do i satisfy the requirement for Skilled worker visa? What is the approximate wait for such visa?

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Hi Luke and welcome to the forum.

The basics for GSM are either to apply independently for which there is a points assessment system and some basic requirements of a suitable qualification, age, english ability and experience or to apply for an employer sponsored visa for which there is not a points system but still some basic requirements, the latter being considerably quicker and the currently favoured approach of the government.

Have a look at Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration & SOL link to see what sort of hospitality management occupation may be there and that your qualifications may match, there being assessing authorities sites/contact details at rear of list.

Visa Options on the first page will take you to Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration and from there to 175/176 and for both of those if you click on them you'll find amongst other sections, one for eligibility and a self assessment table you can continue with re the independent route, each heading taking you to an explanatory page.

For employer sponsorship, you can have a look starting with visa options on Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration , it being possible to get a temporary 457 visa that can lead to permanent residency sponsorship, a path that many follow.

I've known of people in the hospitality management area to get in with a major hotel in Europe that could be part of an international chain obtaining experience in mangaement areas as they gain positions and then being posted to overseas positions.
Even without international postings, I'm sure you'll stand a far better chance if you do get some well regarded experience.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 90
Please update your flag here .

2 likes received
Hi Luke,
wanderer is right, you need recent experience, though not a lot. To get an independent visa you need to have worked for at least twelve months. It doesn't matter what nationality you are, the law applies equally to everybody. There are separate requirements for assessment of qualifications and for a visa. Some qualifications do not require post graduate experience so some people can get points for the qualification and then use 12 mths experience in another occupation to qualify for the visa. i remember looking recently at hotel/motel manager and from memory bach/r degree level with one year exp was assessed at 60points. if your degree was gradual and you got your diploma on the way and worked in a managerial hotel/motel position while doing your bach/s, you could have your quals assessed at diploma level, would only get 50 pts for quals but you could qualify to apply for PR. The assessment of this qual at any level requires one yr post study exp. (you should check vetassess site for confirmation). The current wait for this visa is about 3-4 years (there are 150,000 applications in queue) so you might consider employer sponsored option.
goof luck

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do i qualify for sponsership? ukrae Visas and immigration 0 05-25-2011 08:12 AM
Permanent Partner visa.. do I qualify? didge28 Visas and immigration 5 03-01-2011 11:29 PM
Skilled Independent Visa 175 Rumors - Do I qualify? FilipeEstacio Visas and immigration 3 03-17-2010 03:52 PM
Difference between a permanent resident and a permanent visa holder bedrosmanoukian Visas and immigration 1 12-08-2009 03:08 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.