from working holiday visa to skilled migration ?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

from working holiday visa to skilled migration ?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8
Please update your flag here .

from working holiday visa to skilled migration ?

Hi all

Me and my girlfriend are thinking of going over to oz under the working holiday visa for a year, rent somewhere and work.

for some experience and so we can make 100% sure we want to move out there (already 99% )

if we were out there for 6 months and the decidede it was defiiantly what we wanted to do can we still apply for the general skilled migration programme whilst we are there or do we have to come back to the uk first ?

and does it help the application in anyway ?

thanks !


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 90
Please update your flag here .

2 likes received
There is very few visas that you can apply onshore, mainly employer sponsored or graduates from Au school. You can, however, apply 'offshore' even though you are in Au. You have to be careful with timing. For independent visas you have to have worked 12 out of 24 months prior to lodging an application. In some occupations this experience has to be in your nominated occupation. If you come here and find there is no work for you time might work against you and you may not meet the requirement. Also, if you want to claim points for specific work exp you need to have worked 3 out of 4 years prior to application. Again, if you don't find employment and stay out of work for more than one year you might lose those points and not qualify. (i don't know your specific situation so at the risk of speculating just throwing some ideas of potential risks). If you qualify for 175 independent now why not apply now before taking the risk of breaks in employment.
Good luck

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Hi Jack,
The quick answers are.
. Yes, you can apply in Australia for GSM visas without having to return to the UK.
. It could help or it may not, depending on what type of visa you go after, ie.
There's Employer Sponsored and theres the more Independent route of Skilled Migration, the top two categories on Workers - Visas & Immigration

In general, it is an excellent idea for younger people to use the WHV and seek an extended time in Australia and see what the place is about including work opportunities.

That said, there are also some pitfalls and in looking at it as regards a permanent move you do need to look at visa eligibility aspects and what qualifications you have may determine which path/visa is best for you.

There is as xdorota has said a recent work experience requirement and then for independent points assessed visas, additional points if needed for more experience and then there're the qualifications and a need to have them assessed.

Even if not considering the independent route, have a look at the SOL link on Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration to find your occupations and the table gives the assessing authority, VETASSESS for many.
Also have a look at the top link - What's New and there'll be links to changes effective from today in regard to assessments.

Occupational assessment is a separate process to immigration but an integral prerequisite and for many occupations there are new DEEWR regulations which are quite onerous and will be costly.
They have been developed in part to clean up a messy situation that had developed in Australia in regard to some shonky operators involved in onshore training and immigration. Though I've not fully read up on the situation, depending on your occupation[s] you may want to look at assessment prior to leaving the UK [again, not a cheap process if involving Vetassess].

If it is professional qualifications you have and there's an appropriate organisation other than Vetassess that does the qualification assessment, it'll be more straightforward and no concern on whether you do assessment here or not.

With professional qualifications your options become more open though possibly more complex and on the What's New link, six down there is you should read too, to look at time-frames of different visa options as that can have an impact on your decision/outcome,
If you do have professional qualifications, get them assessed with a view to the independent 175/176 path but do not have an occupation on the CSL, a visa grant could be a number of years away and even if on the CSL it could still be 12 months or more away, creating something else for you to work through or around.
The independent 175/176 visa are an offshore visa and though you can apply for them onshore, there is no bridging visa applicable and thus you would need to have a visa that allowed you to stay in Australia until granting time arrived, perhaps looking at doing some work that made you eligible for a second WHV and/or making use of the NZ WHV system - Immigration New Zealand .
When a 175/176 was ready for granting, you would need to leave Australia for a few days to a week to allow granting.

The Employer Sponsored route if you have a look at that gives the options of temporary residency via 457 visa and that can be used as a stepping stone to permanent residency with an approved and agreeable sponsor or in some cases getting that first, but again various eligibility requirements and if met, possibly a quicker path to PR.

Have a look at the eligibility sections of the various visas that selecting Visa options will take you to and you'll see all the detail, the Immi site being a fairly easy menu driven site, but just a lot of info there to wade through.

When you have a feel for it all, feel free to ask on other aspects.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working on a working holiday visa Ghostzapper Jobs and work 11 12-14-2011 09:28 PM
Working experience for General Skilled Migration skymax82 Visas and immigration 1 01-22-2011 08:15 AM
Help on Visa Selection - Working holiday, skilled worker, or other? Silviar Visas and immigration 8 09-04-2010 01:05 AM
Working Holiday Visa- $$ Margaret Visas and immigration 1 07-12-2010 01:05 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.