PhD w/o alot of money applying for subclass 175

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

PhD w/o alot of money applying for subclass 175

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7
Please update your flag here .

PhD w/o alot of money applying for subclass 175


I have a PhD in the physical sciences. I don't have alot of money right now, but I am pretty sure that I can get a job in Australia. I don't want to be sponsored by an employer. That is the reason I am going for subclass 175. I could probably bring in 10k AUD with me.

When I get the visa, I plan to look for a job before moving since I have 1 year to do it.

Is there any chance?

Thanks for any advice on this matter.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Aside from getting the points for a 175 visa and you can check that out on the eligibility table along with all eligibility criteria including recent experience as at time of application a mandatory requirement, you should be aware of the processing priority issues -

It will be an indefinite number of years to have a non CSL occupation visa application processed.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 14
Please update your flag here .

2 likes received
Hi Kenpachi-

The best way to check your eligibility for General Skilled Migration is complete the points test found on Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175) . From that link you will also be able confirm if your qualifications and experience will match what is required as determined by the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). As you may already know, to be eligible you will need to achieve a minimum of 120 points. The cost of a General Skilled Migration application is AUD$2,525.

I hope this helps.

Michelle Zaretzky
Australia Migration Agent: 0958090
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7
Please update your flag here .

Thanks, Wanderer and NZmigration for you response.

It appears that my education does not count at all! And, my work experience of 14 years is only worth 5 points. This is all done in the US and Canada not some 3rd World country.

I can only qualify for 100 points w/o sponsorship. It looks like finding an employer for a sponsorship is the only option.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

all the best to you kenpachi!

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 24
Please update your flag here .

Quite possible, found a job from the UK. Actually two, but the second one only came back to me when I arrived. It was really good to know I had work whenI arrived.
They did one to see me one last time when I arrived. But that was to make sure I was just a normal person etc.
I had tech tests and skype interviews by webcam. Some companies are located in your country too so you might be able to get a loval interview

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 137
Users Flag! From uk

11 likes received
8 likes given
I would query you statement that getting a job will be easy. As it wont.

All research positions (PhD) with as you say 14 years experience would be high level positions where the applicant (you) would be expected to have brought in significant funds with them. The Australian research grant system is much different from the US - only a fraction of applications get through (1/20) and then only will low amounts of money. If you are not in medical Physics then there is only one funding agency - ARC which gives out around only 200 million a year for the entire country. This agency funds all non-medical research in the country.

Research grants starting 2010 January came out in November 2009 and the closing date was February 2009. This is the only source of funding for salaries of PhD graduates - and you (as the graduate) are responsible for getting that funding. Only when a researcher gets additions fund the advertise for a post-doc (which is the sort of position that is sponsored). However, since you have more than 5 years experience post PhD - you would not be deemed eligible for these positions. to be blunt - after 6 years post PhD you should be working on developing your own laboratory, finding staff, getting your own funding record. You cant expect anyone to hire you as a researcher - you should be in the position of hiring others.

Now if you are talking about being a Lecturer - these positions are highly competitive and usually take a number of presentations with the entire interviewee consort to select the best position. The time from an advertisement to job start in Australia for Lecturer is around 6 months - for researcher around 4 months. 10K will not last you that long.

If you are not prepared to come via a sponsor you are unlikely to get any position.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Send money overseas (Proof of money transfers receipt) y11 Visas and immigration 3 09-23-2011 10:00 AM
alot of mixed emotions trishher General chit-chat and news 3 10-11-2010 12:19 AM
Applying PR subclass 176 inside Australia won_lek Visas and immigration 3 08-11-2010 05:11 AM
Help please re: applying for (Subclass 570- 575) Assessment Level 1 Miss Mickey Education 1 07-21-2010 02:17 AM
Canadian Citizen and applying for Subclass 176 through Lawyer in NSW jjneufeld Visas and immigration 3 03-16-2009 04:47 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.