Prospective Marriage Visa Enquiry

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Prospective Marriage Visa Enquiry


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Users Flag! From australia

5 likes received
Prospective Marriage Visa Enquiry

Hi there
I've just joined this forum but have read comments etc over the last few weeks which has been very helpful...although I do have a few questions of my own regarding the Prospective Marriage Visa!

I am an Australian and my partner lives in the UK. We met via the internet almost 18 mths ago and pretty much knew very early on that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. We have met face to face 4 times....I've been to the UK twice for a total of 5 1/2 weeks and my partner has been here twice also, for a total of 4 weeks. We are now in the process of starting the application for his visa to come to Australia and haven't done so sooner because neither of us were divorced. Our divorces are almost finalised but we're getting everything together for his visa in the meantime.

We know that we will have no problem in proving we have a genuine, committed relationship eg. photos, ph/skype calls and stat decs from friends & family etc, but I do have a few questions & concerns that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. Do both of us need to provide stat decs from friends/family, or only the applicant?
2. I am concerned about sponsoring him as I have 3 children and my youngest has just started school and being a single parent have not been working for the past 12 mths and am now looking to go back to work. Will this affect me being his sponsor as I rely a great deal on $$ from the government (even if i do go back to work). What would be the likelihood of him having to get an Assurance of Support?
3. Is it advisable for my partner to have his police check and medical now and send in with the application, instead of waiting to be asked to supply them? Also, can he see his own doctor or does he need to have his medical done at an "approved" medical centre/hospital?
4. Are there any benefits in going through a Migration Agent?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated as the Immigration site while helpful can be somewhat confusing.

Thanks so much
AussiePom


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePom View Post
Hi there
I've just joined this forum but have read comments etc over the last few weeks which has been very helpful...although I do have a few questions of my own regarding the Prospective Marriage Visa!

I am an Australian and my partner lives in the UK. We met via the internet almost 18 mths ago and pretty much knew very early on that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. We have met face to face 4 times....I've been to the UK twice for a total of 5 1/2 weeks and my partner has been here twice also, for a total of 4 weeks. We are now in the process of starting the application for his visa to come to Australia and haven't done so sooner because neither of us were divorced. Our divorces are almost finalised but we're getting everything together for his visa in the meantime.

We know that we will have no problem in proving we have a genuine, committed relationship eg. photos, ph/skype calls and stat decs from friends & family etc, but I do have a few questions & concerns that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. Do both of us need to provide stat decs from friends/family, or only the applicant?
2. I am concerned about sponsoring him as I have 3 children and my youngest has just started school and being a single parent have not been working for the past 12 mths and am now looking to go back to work. Will this affect me being his sponsor as I rely a great deal on $$ from the government (even if i do go back to work). What would be the likelihood of him having to get an Assurance of Support?
3. Is it advisable for my partner to have his police check and medical now and send in with the application, instead of waiting to be asked to supply them? Also, can he see his own doctor or does he need to have his medical done at an "approved" medical centre/hospital?
4. Are there any benefits in going through a Migration Agent?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated as the Immigration site while helpful can be somewhat confusing.

Thanks so much
AussiePom
1. It is the Visa application by the applicant that needs to be supported with stat decs. etc. and they can come from people knowledgeable of both the applicant and the sponsor and should actually make reference to your relationship in supporting the application..

Have a good read of all the visa info - Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300) particularly the eligibility and applying for this visa sections and make good use of the Checklist in the latter section.
Booklet #1 also has considerable detail on what is required.

2. You do not have any choice in being the sponsor for that's what you are and a form you need to fill in and send to him for enclosure with the application.
Your working situation or income will not be the sole determination od whether there'll be a request for a AoS but that can be other family or even friends and not a big deal, more a formality.

3. Getting the Police and Health checks done for sending in with an application is done by applicants of many visas and so it could save a bit of time but he will need to use an approved Doctor and not just any - again, have a read of the Health requirements under eligibility, including the links.
If he has any children, I think you'll find they need to have health examinations too, even if they are not on the application.

4. The only advantage of an agent will be if you/he feel doing the application is too difficult, but you/he'll still need to get all the documentation together and if you are prepared to take the time to make sure the application form is filled in correctly and completely, a DIY approach is not so difficult, especially using the Checklist and doing a dummy run application which can then become the copy for your own records.
You'll save yourself a couple of thousand $$$ in fees too.





  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Users Flag! From australia

5 likes received
Thanks so much for all your help and advise. Just one more question please....is there any way, besides the PMV that we can be together any earlier? As I mentioned, our divorces haven't come through yet....mine will be finalised late April and his can take up to four months!!! Which means he won't be able to apply for the visa for quite a while! He doesn't qualify for a working visa and he is over the age of 30.

Thanks again
AussiePom


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePom View Post
Thanks so much for all your help and advise. Just one more question please....is there any way, besides the PMV that we can be together any earlier? As I mentioned, our divorces haven't come through yet....mine will be finalised late April and his can take up to four months!!! Which means he won't be able to apply for the visa for quite a while! He doesn't qualify for a working visa and he is over the age of 30.

Thanks again
AussiePom
It's probably either the PMV or him coming out again for a visit and if by chance there was an employer about who was willing to sponsor him, he could possibly apply for an Employer Sponsor Visa if eligible, there being temporary ones that can lead to permanent residency or direct permanent sponsorship if employer and employee are eligible - for either it'll depend largely on his Qualifications and Skills.
Visa Options - Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

A straight tourist or eVisa may have a "no further stay" condition on it which would mean a trip out to come back in on an ETA - Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) - Online Applications

Or alternately get an ETA from start and I've read comments that in the UK, an application for an ETA does an auto default to an eVisa though an ETA is still apparently available if you go to a visa agency, perhaps even a travel agency.

There's some risk in that approach obviously but if he has reasonable skills in demand, always a possibility.
If he doesn't get a 457, it's back to the UK for the PMV, cheap flights available with Welcome to AirAsia.com, The World's Best Low-Cost Airline .
You/he may decide it is something worth pursuing while he waits to put the PMV in.

On that note, I know it is taking a risk to submit a PMV while waiting on the divorce to be finalised and something worth checking with an agent but you may find he can submit the PMV and even have it granted whilst awaiting the divorce - Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300) - nothing in eligibility to say otherwise, unless I've missed it and there could be something else on it tucked away somewhere.





  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21
Please update your flag here .

3 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
On that note, I know it is taking a risk to submit a PMV while waiting on the divorce to be finalised and something worth checking with an agent but you may find he can submit the PMV and even have it granted whilst awaiting the divorce - nothing in eligibility to say otherwise, unless I've missed it and there could be something else on it tucked away somewhere.
My recollection from when we did our PMV (admittedly it was 2 years ago now) was that there were questions on the form about our current/previous marital status, and I had to supply a certified copy of my final divorce decree with the application. Also, we had to organise a NOIM with the marriage celebrant, and I don't think that could be done without both of us proving we were free to marry.

So even if AussiePom's and her fiance submitted their application, it wouldn't be complete without the divorce paperwork and NOIM, and probably would not progress far in processing.

When we were having our application processed in Washington, London was much faster in processing spouse and fiance visas, I recall some people on the forums I was reading having theirs approved in a matter of weeks or even less. It probably is still really fast, so time wise its one of the best places to be submitting.


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prospective Marriage Visa MArk Harrison Visas and immigration 39 05-11-2014 06:02 AM
Prospective Marriage Visa Help callumchapman Visas and immigration 11 07-05-2011 10:50 AM
prospective marriage visa - do we need one? guppy Visas and immigration 4 05-25-2011 04:59 AM
prospective marriage visa, help! stitchthp Visas and immigration 1 02-28-2011 01:41 PM
prospective marriage visa please help. sarah29 Visas and immigration 1 01-18-2011 10:51 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:10 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com