Adding partner to 489 visa

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree14Likes

Adding partner to 489 visa


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 56
Users Flag! From uae

10 likes received
1 likes given
Adding partner to 489 visa

hey all!

i got my Skilled - Sponsored (Family) 489 visa and i was wondering if its possible for me to add my wife on to this visa. I still haven't moved to AUS yet so was wondering if its possible it start her process while being offshore.

I spoke to a migration agent and he told me that since I have Skilled - Sponsored (Family) 489 visa, I can't add my wife to it. It could have been possible only at the time of lodgment of my app. is this true? :-|


really confusing situation for me here....kindly help..

Thanks!


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 163
Users Flag! From uk

46 likes received
36 likes given
You cannot add a partner to your Skilled - Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa application after lodgement.

This is from the skillselect site.....so your agent is correct.
You will need to apply for an alternative visa for your wife,a Spouse or Partner visa. I know very little about these but someone else will come along & help. Look the visas up on the immi website meanwhile Department of Immigration & Border Protection


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,033
Users Flag! From usa

4424 likes received
6268 likes given
A spouse/partner visa is not going to be an option. A 489 is not a permanent visa, and even if it were, OP would have to be "usually resident" for a couple of years in order to sponsor.

I don't know anything about the 489, but what about this language on the 489 page?

"Your dependants who were not included in your original application (subsequent entrants) might also be eligible to apply for this visa. If your dependant is granted a 489 visa they will be allowed to stay in Australia for the same period of time as your visa."

Can you clarify with your agent or with DIAC that your wife would not qualify as a "subsequent entrant?"

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

Last edited by CollegeGirl; 10-28-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 56
Users Flag! From uae

10 likes received
1 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by shingle View Post
You cannot add a partner to your Skilled - Nominated or Sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa application after lodgement.

This is from the skillselect site.....so your agent is correct.
You will need to apply for an alternative visa for your wife,a Spouse or Partner visa. I know very little about these but someone else will come along & help. Look the visas up on the immi website meanwhile Department of Immigration & Border Protection
this is very unclear from DIAC here... it says cant add her to my application like 189 visa but doesn't say can't add her as a subsequent entrant or sponsor her later.



  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 56
Users Flag! From uae

10 likes received
1 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGirl View Post
A spouse/partner visa is not going to be an option. A 489 is not a permanent visa, and even if it were, OP would have to be "usually resident" for a couple of years in order to sponsor.

I don't know anything about the 489, but what about this language on the 489 page?

"Your dependants who were not included in your original application (subsequent entrants) might also be eligible to apply for this visa. If your dependant is granted a 489 visa they will be allowed to stay in Australia for the same period of time as your visa."

Can you clarify with your agent or with DIAC that your wife would not qualify as a "subsequent entrant?"
i read that part but again its very unclear from DIAC as the mentioned part comes under the "Holders of visa subclasses 495, 496, 475 and 487" category.

:-|


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 56
Users Flag! From uae

10 likes received
1 likes given
is there anyone here who was in a similar situation as me or knows anything for sure?

would be much appreciated here- thanks.


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2013, 03:07 PM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,033
Users Flag! From usa

4424 likes received
6268 likes given
I would either call immigration or (preferably) talk to a migration agent. This isn't a question we see here often enough that you're likely to get a definite answer here.

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2013, 03:53 PM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,033
Users Flag! From usa

4424 likes received
6268 likes given
Cyberslam, I've looked into it more and believe it IS possible. I know you said on another forum that you'd talked to an RMA already, but I'm wondering if that agent knew what he was talking about.

I found a fact sheet from Immigration for 489 applicants sponsored by relatives, and one of the comments on it is that subsequent entrants do not need to provide all of the evidence asked for on that fact sheet. It seems pretty clear to me that it's possible and that Immigration has just designed that webpage poorly and in such a way to be confusing. It also does not make sense to me that they would not allow people on one type of 489 to add spouses later, but not people on another type. It's the same visa subclass.

Like I said - I think in this case I'd try calling immigration directly, or perhaps messaging Mark Northam on this forum. He's a great agent and he can help you sort it out. Or if I were you I might even try going through the online application process for a 489 subsequent entrant. You don't have to actually complete the application, but somewhere early on in that process there's bound to be more info on whether or not on your type of visa you can add a subsequent entrant.

shingle likes this.
__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 56
Users Flag! From uae

10 likes received
1 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGirl View Post
Cyberslam, I've looked into it more and believe it IS possible. I know you said on another forum that you'd talked to an RMA already, but I'm wondering if that agent knew what he was talking about.

I found a fact sheet from Immigration for 489 applicants sponsored by relatives, and one of the comments on it is that subsequent entrants do not need to provide all of the evidence asked for on that fact sheet. It seems pretty clear to me that it's possible and that Immigration has just designed that webpage poorly and in such a way to be confusing. It also does not make sense to me that they would not allow people on one type of 489 to add spouses later, but not people on another type. It's the same visa subclass.

Like I said - I think in this case I'd try calling immigration directly, or perhaps messaging Mark Northam on this forum. He's a great agent and he can help you sort it out. Or if I were you I might even try going through the online application process for a 489 subsequent entrant. You don't have to actually complete the application, but somewhere early on in that process there's bound to be more info on whether or not on your type of visa you can add a subsequent entrant.
CollegeGirl, really appreciate you looking into this. can you please share with me the fact sheet that you found on 489 applicants?

I will be going to the agent hopefully in the next few days to get more info on this. I tried going through the online process of adding an subsequent entrant and after entering my visa reference (TRN?), it did take me to the next page where i have to enter the applicant details.

Will also try getting in touch with Mark Northam.

thanks again!

CollegeGirl likes this.

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2013, 06:36 PM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,033
Users Flag! From usa

4424 likes received
6268 likes given
Here it is: http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skills...-checklist.pdf

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partner's IELTS for 489 VIsa amdan Visas and immigration 9 11-03-2013 03:11 AM
Partner 489 Visa noni143 Visas and immigration 0 08-10-2013 10:04 AM
Adding partner to 457 visa confused Visas and immigration 16 12-11-2012 07:23 AM
Adding British partner as de facto on to 457 visa following working holiday visa Sozzle Visas and immigration 0 04-03-2012 09:49 PM
Adding partner to visa 475 being granted GloQui Visas and immigration 1 07-21-2011 08:10 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:08 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com