partner permanent visa (801 visa) waiting group!!! - Page 539

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree2519Likes

partner permanent visa (801 visa) waiting group!!! - Page 539


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #5381 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:35 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 16
Users Flag! From australia

8 likes received
3 likes given
Some employers will not even consider a candidate if they do not have PR. This is particularly the case for technical professions.

My wife found work easily enough - but not in her area of expertise or experience.
Yes - no problem getting a job.
Best utilisation of her education, skills and experience - No.

CollegeGirl and Leema like this.
__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #5382 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 105
Users Flag! From uk

50 likes received
43 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSL View Post
Some employers will not even consider a candidate if they do not have PR. This is particularly the case for technical professions.

My wife found work easily enough - but not in her area of expertise or experience.
Yes - no problem getting a job.
Best utilisation of her education, skills and experience - No.
Yes me too, I have never had an issue - I thought it was maybe the visa you were on first before you applied for defacto that may have been why...


  #5383 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2017, 02:53 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,157
Users Flag! From australia

3660 likes received
1154 likes given
Because the 820 has unlimited work rights and travel rights DIBP will not fast track the application ahead of others. I vaguely remember something on their website saying that they will not prioritise applications for 801.


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #5384 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2017, 03:04 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 36
Users Flag! From uk

16 likes received
10 likes given
From my own experience, finding work in my field has not been easy at all. I cannot achieve baseline police clearances which are essential for many positions I apply for. Government positions still require PR in my field (at least) a lot of the time as well. Originally on my WHV, I just applied for a position that explicitly said only PR/citizens are eligible to apply. I was lucky and they interviewed me anyway and although I did not get the advertised position, they allowed me to work in another area of the company. Since then though, I've unfortunately not had the same luck with jobs in my field. It's really dependent on your field and where you live I think. The abundance of jobs in WA in my field is not great and we can't just leave the state.


  #5385 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2017, 03:44 AM
J&F J&F is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 199
Users Flag! From australia

109 likes received
269 likes given
Jobs are an absolute horror for my husband. But from what I can see, the less formal qualifications you have the easier it is to get a good job.

For instance retail and hospitality are great areas to work but need experience, any experience, even overseas. My husband has absolutely none. But he does have a PhD in a difficult area for employment which is really causing problems. Mind, there are numerous jobs he is qualified for and probably would get, but they all require either permanent residency or citizenship.

He's on a training course with the CSIRO at the moment and one of the big names in his field (God as we like to call him) knew my husband before they were introduced which was really nice.

Still probably won't my husband a job, but nice all the same.


  #5386 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 105
Users Flag! From uk

50 likes received
43 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&F View Post
Jobs are an absolute horror for my husband. But from what I can see, the less formal qualifications you have the easier it is to get a good job.

For instance retail and hospitality are great areas to work but need experience, any experience, even overseas. My husband has absolutely none. But he does have a PhD in a difficult area for employment which is really causing problems. Mind, there are numerous jobs he is qualified for and probably would get, but they all require either permanent residency or citizenship.

He's on a training course with the CSIRO at the moment and one of the big names in his field (God as we like to call him) knew my husband before they were introduced which was really nice.

Still probably won't my husband a job, but nice all the same.
I had no idea what a nightmare it is for some people! Gosh i feel for you all especially with Families...Lets hope Immigration pull their socks up for us all

Gothenburg and J&F like this.

  #5387 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2017, 07:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 61
Users Flag! From uk

15 likes received
82 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leema View Post
From my own experience, finding work in my field has not been easy at all. I cannot achieve baseline police clearances which are essential for many positions I apply for. Government positions still require PR in my field (at least) a lot of the time as well. Originally on my WHV, I just applied for a position that explicitly said only PR/citizens are eligible to apply. I was lucky and they interviewed me anyway and although I did not get the advertised position, they allowed me to work in another area of the company. Since then though, I've unfortunately not had the same luck with jobs in my field. It's really dependent on your field and where you live I think. The abundance of jobs in WA in my field is not great and we can't just leave the state.
See, I work for the government. What do you mean about police clearances though as you can apply for national and WA?

When an employer asks me about PR I've been honest and explained how i'm in the process of applying etc.
I just don't see how any visa could be any problem. If you can get full time perm government on a bridging visa like I did with then anyone can surely? Even on the WHV I had no problem here whereas in England I really struggled to hold a job, my work history is a mess with months between of unemployment, yet here I've lived in 3 states, had 6 jobs (all all good, no casual or low wages) and all of them have been on a temp visa, I found work within 1 week of arriving in the country and 1 week is the longest unemployed in this country.

I'm not tooting a horn, so to speak, I'm just struggling to understand how people find it so difficult when me and many people I know have had no issue. I sometimes wonder if it's because English get it easier? (I'm not saying we should get it easier, just speculating).

__________________

Last edited by Tashpotato; 01-19-2017 at 07:12 AM.

  #5388 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2017, 10:15 AM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,031
Users Flag! From usa

4418 likes received
6267 likes given
I am glad it was easier for you, tashpotato, but just because it wasn't an issue for you or others doesn't mean it isn't an issue for *anyone,* and you disregarding it as a possiblity is honestly kind of (and I know you don't mean it this way) insulting.

It does depend on the level and type of jobs you apply for. In the US, I was *never* without a job when I wanted one. I got every job I ever interviewed for (truly). I do have a Bachelor's degree from one of the top 20 liberal arts colleges in the US. Here? Here I struggled for literally years to even get interviews for permanent positions in my field because everyone wanted Aussie experience and someone who they knew for sure could stay in the high-level jobs they were recruiting for permanently. These are not the kinds of jobs people transition in and out of quickly. I finally gave up looking and went into doing contract work through an agency. I'm grateful for it, but I very strongly miss the reliability and budgeting abilities that come along with having a permanent job.

HRose313 likes this.
__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #5389 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2017, 04:09 AM
Gothenburg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 202
Users Flag! From sweden

46 likes received
68 likes given
My turn to write something positive :-)

801 Granted Today @ 9am
Applied for 820 March 4 ,2014
Got 820 Feb 2015
Applied for 801 May 6 ,2016
801 Granted Today...

8 months short wait

The chance of me popping up a cold one today,
is more than likely :-)

Good Luck to the rest of you guys, that still is waiting ...
I'm off to Iceland tomorrow, so very good news before the departure :-D
__________________
Visa Sub Class: 820/801
Application Made : On Paper
Agent Used: Nope

Last edited by Gothenburg; 01-23-2017 at 05:04 AM. Reason: correcting info.

  #5390 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2017, 04:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 798
Users Flag! From australia

332 likes received
9139 likes given
Awesome congratulations to you both... enjoy a cold one, or three... Best wishes for long happy and successful life together in Oz.

Gothenburg likes this.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partner Visa: Onshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 820 and 801) alikaup Visas and immigration 9 06-27-2014 03:55 AM
Partner Visa: Onshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 820 and 801) louiseb Visas and immigration 3 04-16-2013 03:59 AM
Partner permanent visa (subclass 801) ch3stones Visas and immigration 8 06-22-2012 11:30 AM
Permanent Partner Visa 801 granted if overseas? Cloudy Visas and immigration 2 02-09-2011 12:37 AM
Partner visa (subclass 820/801) - how much waiting and will I get bridging visa? magdabis Visas and immigration 3 10-12-2010 08:49 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:39 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com