Prospective Timeline for Australian PR/Citizenship

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree5Likes

Prospective Timeline for Australian PR/Citizenship


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From india

4 likes given
Prospective Timeline for Australian PR/Citizenship

Hi guys,

This is my first post here so I'll begin with introducing myself. I am an engineering (Bachelors, I.T.) graduate. I graduated just this year. I intend to pursue a masters in I.T. now.

I initially was considering 3 countries to pursue my further studies: USA, Canada and Australia. While pondering on this topic, I thought to myself: Why not simultaenously pursue a PR/citizenship while studying? After all, it is common knowledge that a new passport gives you multiple privileges.

After much research, I came to the conclusion that it is very hard to become a naturalized US Citizen, not to mention the tax laws of USA kind of suck. That left me with 2 options: Australia and Canada. Out of these 2, it seems that it is easier to obtain a citizenship in Australia, at least on paper.

I have been reading about Australian PR/citizenship a lot and figured out that the newly introduced subclass 485 visa is a great option for international students in Australia.

I am trying to create a prospective timeline from the day I enroll in an Australian University to the day I get my Australian Passport but however, I am having difficult constructing it. I am hoping that you guys can help me with it. Of course, I know that immigration rules keep changing and that nothing is certain with regards to acquiring a citizenship.

Timeline:
Feb, 2014 - Start Masters in I.T. 2 year program.

Feb, 2016 -
Achieve Masters in I.T.
Apply for a subclass 485 visa.
Apply for a subclass 189 visa (assumption of SkillSelect points: IELTS 20, Bachelor's Degree or equivalent 15, Australian Study Requirement 5, Age 30, Total 70)
12 months processing time for both visas.

Feb, 2017 -
Get Australian Permanent Residency.

Feb, 2018 -
Apply for Australian Citizenship after completing 12 month PR requirement.

June/July/Aug, 2018 -
Get Australian Citizenship and Passport.


There are some queries that I have with regards to the above timeline:
1. Can you apply for a bridging visa when you have applied for permanent residency? If not, can I apply for both PR and subclass 485 at the same time?

2. I will be able to apply for a subclass 485 visa only in Feb, 2016 when I complete the 2 year Australian Study Requirement. The processing time for the visa is 12 months. So what do I do from Feb, 2016 to Feb, 2017? Am I eligible to work while the visa is being processed? Will employers hire me while I am on a bridging visa?

3. My migration agent in my home country raised a concern that even with the introduction of the 485 visa, it is hard for non-PR/citizens to get work in Australia. Is this true even for an in-demand occupation like I.T/computers?

4. Is my stipulated timeline correct or am I missing something?

Thanks a lot.



  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 PM
kttykat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,377
Users Flag! From usa

513 likes received
218 likes given
You need to talk to a migration agent. I am not sure about your case but I do know there are some conditions on citizenship that affect your 4 years, like if you were on a bridging visa for any part of it.

Kttykat




xxxxxxxxxw1ndhawk likes this.
__________________

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 AM
GBP GBP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,366
Users Flag! From australia

466 likes received
60 likes given
I think visas like 485 and 189 are subject to review and changes frequently. So, 2-3 years down the track, the requirements might be different from what it is now.

I wouldn't start a study just for the sake of migration or PR in another country. And to answer your concern regarding finding work, yes, it is more difficult to find a job if you are not a PR/citizen.

xxxxxxxxxw1ndhawk likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 AM
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From india

4 likes given
Thanks for the replies @kttykat and @GBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttykat View Post
You need to talk to a migration agent. I am not sure about your case but I do know there are some conditions on citizenship that affect your 4 years, like if you were on a bridging visa for any part of it.

Kttykat
Are you sure about this? Where can I read more about this topic? The residence calculator seems quite simple asking for only 4 inputs: 'Permanent Residency Date', 'Lawful Residency Date', 'Intended Lodgement Date' and inputs regarding days outside of Australia. Take a look:
www . ecom . immi . gov . au/citz/startIntervalCalc . do

Further, from the info I have gathered online it seems that time on temporary visas DOES count towards the residence requirement. Below a direct quote from an Australian Immigration website.

"In order to be eligible for Australian Citizenship, applicants must meet a number of residence requirements, including;
  • 12 months as a permanent resident; and
  • Being lawfully resident in Australia for 4 years immediately prior to lodgement; and
  • Absences from Australia of no more than 1 year in the last 4 years and not more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately before applying.

Lawful residence does include time spent on temporary visas (i.e. Student, Working Holiday, Tourist, Bridging Visa) prior to grant or permanent residency."
Source:
www . australianmigrations . com/visa_citizenship_rrt . htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP View Post
I think visas like 485 and 189 are subject to review and changes frequently. So, 2-3 years down the track, the requirements might be different from what it is now.

I wouldn't start a study just for the sake of migration or PR in another country. And to answer your concern regarding finding work, yes, it is more difficult to find a job if you are not a PR/citizen.
Yes, I completely agree with you that starting a study just for the sake of PR is foolishness.

However, my primary purpose is to study. I'm just trying to combine it with migration (something done by many students). At this point, if I do want to combine it my only options are Canada and Australia.

According to current laws Australia seems to be a better option. Unfortunately I can only judge on current laws :P

Also, any more insights into how hard it is for people on 485 visas to find work? I couldn't find too many topics regarding this on the forum.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable. Can you answer question 1. in the first post?

Thanks GBP


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 AM
kttykat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,377
Users Flag! From usa

513 likes received
218 likes given
https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do

From the site:
Lawful residence means residence in Australia on a temporary or permanent visa.

If any of the following applied to you in the past 4 years, please telephone the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880 during business hours to discuss your circumstances.

You obtained an e-visa to replace an expired Resident Return Visa (RRV)
You obtained a bridging visa of any type
You lodged an onshore application for a permanent visa then travelled overseas on your temporary visa
You are a New Zealand citizen on a Special Category Visa (SCV)


Why don't you ring and ask.

Kttykat




__________________

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2013, 05:29 AM
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From india

4 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttykat View Post

From the site:
Lawful residence means residence in Australia on a temporary or permanent visa.

If any of the following applied to you in the past 4 years, please telephone the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880 during business hours to discuss your circumstances.

You obtained an e-visa to replace an expired Resident Return Visa (RRV)
You obtained a bridging visa of any type
You lodged an onshore application for a permanent visa then travelled overseas on your temporary visa
You are a New Zealand citizen on a Special Category Visa (SCV)


Why don't you ring and ask.

Kttykat
Good point.

Checked around a bit online and found these 2 topics:
pomsinoz . com/forum/migration-issues/112391-residency-requirement-citizenship-bridging-visa
britishexpats . com/forum/showthread.php?t=757768

I'm sure there must be exceptions but time on the bridging visa generally seems to count.


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 AM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,033
Users Flag! From usa

4424 likes received
6268 likes given
I think the confusion that this stems from is a result of the BVE. If you wind up on a Bridging Visa E, any time you spent in the country prior to that no longer counts toward your four years for citizenship purposes.

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2013, 05:46 AM
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From india

4 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGirl View Post
I think the confusion that this stems from is a result of the BVE. If you wind up on a Bridging Visa E, any time you spent in the country prior to that no longer counts toward your four years for citizenship purposes.
Possibly, but if you apply for a PR onshore after completing the Aus study requirement you are automatically granted Bridging Visa A (not E).


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 AM
kttykat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,377
Users Flag! From usa

513 likes received
218 likes given
I am kind of curious about this myself.

Since I was in Australia legally on an ETA in August of 2012, left to go to the USA and marry, was in the USA for 3 months and returned again on an ETA for another 3 months from January and then left again for a few days to get my 309 and returned in April of this year with my 309. I wonder if I would start counting my 4 years from August 2012 or from April 2013. It makes about 8 months difference as to when I would be eligible to apply for citizenship. Therefore would it be August 2016 or April 2017 as an eligible date to apply? I had always assumed April 2017.

Kttykat




__________________

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2013, 06:05 AM
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Users Flag! From india

4 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttykat View Post
I am kind of curious about this myself.

Since I was in Australia legally on an ETA in August of 2012, left to go to the USA and marry, was in the USA for 3 months and returned again on an ETA for another 3 months from January and then left again for a few days to get my 309 and returned in April of this year with my 309. I wonder if I would start counting my 4 years from August 2012 or from April 2013. It makes about 8 months difference as to when I would be eligible to apply for citizenship. Therefore would it be August 2016 or April 2017 as an eligible date to apply? I had always assumed April 2017.

Kttykat
I don't know what at ETA visa is but I think that if they are counting tourist visas towards lawful residence then I guess Aug 2016 you should be eligible.

Of course, if you are already in Australia you might as well call em up and ask.


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Australian Citizenship dwbeach Visas and immigration 3 07-07-2012 10:48 AM
European girl having baby with australian-can I apply for Australian citizenship ? Snowflake Visas and immigration 3 01-05-2012 01:59 AM
Renouncing Australian citizenship maxtree Visas and immigration 1 08-10-2011 04:55 AM
Australian Citizenship HD app ?? iriekid Visas and immigration 1 06-29-2011 03:41 PM
Australian Citizenship SuppiahPriyashantha Issues and current events 12 04-24-2011 11:56 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com