registering a relationship info

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

registering a relationship info


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
Please update your flag here .

2 likes received
2 likes given
registering a relationship info

This is some information received from the Births Deaths and Marriage department in Victoria, may of some use to someone, so looks like although the registration may waive 12 months relationship requirement for defacto, you still need to be in Victoria for nearly 12 months, so not too much of an advantage other than proving more of a commitment to your partner.
QUOTE:

"The Victorian Relationships Act 2008 requires that each applicant i.e. both parties to the relationship, be able to demonstrate that they are:

a) domiciled or ordinarily resident in the State; and
b) not married or in a registered relationship; and
c) not in another relationship that could be registered under the Act.

In order for you to establish a) you would need to show long term residence in Victoria. Long term is considered to be close to or more than 12 months continuous residence in the State as well as the demonstration of other connections for the purpose of domicile such as financial and living arrangements and other factors which tie you to the state.

The Registry reviews each case on its facts however if you are in Australia on a tourist visa, it is unlikely that you would be able to satisfy this requirement. "


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimo View Post
This is some information received from the Births Deaths and Marriage department in Victoria, may of some use to someone, so looks like although the registration may waive 12 months relationship requirement for defacto, you still need to be in Victoria for nearly 12 months, so not too much of an advantage other than proving more of a commitment to your partner.
QUOTE:

"The Victorian Relationships Act 2008 requires that each applicant i.e. both parties to the relationship, be able to demonstrate that they are:

a) domiciled or ordinarily resident in the State; and
b) not married or in a registered relationship; and
c) not in another relationship that could be registered under the Act.

In order for you to establish a) you would need to show long term residence in Victoria. Long term is considered to be close to or more than 12 months continuous residence in the State as well as the demonstration of other connections for the purpose of domicile such as financial and living arrangements and other factors which tie you to the state.

The Registry reviews each case on its facts however if you are in Australia on a tourist visa, it is unlikely that you would be able to satisfy this requirement. "
Hmmm and whilst it does not surprise me that there is some qualifying period to weed out the shams, it would overlook:
1. the situation where someone had relationship time prior to moving to Victoria.
2. even the Australian Tax Office sets a qualifying time of residency for taxation purposes as six months in the one location.

I wonder whether their reference to proving residency is actually in the legislation or just some bureaucrats view and if the latter it may be best to just have the appropriate documentation and submit it.

I'll make some enquiries.





  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Please update your flag here .

has there been any follow up on this?

my partner and i want to register our relationship in order to apply for a defact visa (he has been living here for 8 months) and need to knwo if it would be worth our while?

Thanks!


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2010, 04:19 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattt View Post
has there been any follow up on this?

my partner and i want to register our relationship in order to apply for a defact visa (he has been living here for 8 months) and need to knwo if it would be worth our while?

Thanks!
I haven't made any enquiries myself Katt but sometimes it is best not to ask and just submitt an application if you comply with what is published in an application form.
Bureaucrats whether trained or not to do so just love to follow procedure.
If getting asked a question outside of their comfort zone, that being for where something is not printed on an application form, the safe answer usually adopted will be a NO.
The relationship registration application is I think only about $20 so if you have good supportive documentation, you've not got too much to lose by putting an application in.
Be great to find out how you go if you do.





  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19
Please update your flag here .

I will know next week...
Application fee is $180 in Melbourne plus $26 for the form. If rejected you get the 26 back.


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori View Post
I will know next week...
Application fee is $180 in Melbourne plus $26 for the form. If rejected you get the 26 back.
$180!, must have missed that and been thinking of the $26
Thanks for that Cori and do post on how you go and how long you have been together thanks.





  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19
Please update your flag here .

Good news for us, we got the certificate today per mail! It was so worth the 200 bucks!

I am here with Work & Travel Visa (Subclass 417), since end of October in Melbourne and since then together with my partner (3.11.09). We applied for the cert. on 22. June, a week later I got an email that they want a copy of my visa, so I sent it. I called to go sure that they got it and don't need anything else and found out that nothing will happen before the 20. July.
I got a friend who knows someone in Birth, Death & Marriages, but I don't know if he actually spoke with him to make sure that it gets accepted. As he is overseas now I will have to wait a few weeks to find that out.

But so happy now! :-)


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori View Post
Good news for us, we got the certificate today per mail! It was so worth the 200 bucks!

I am here with Work & Travel Visa (Subclass 417), since end of October in Melbourne and since then together with my partner (3.11.09). We applied for the cert. on 22. June, a week later I got an email that they want a copy of my visa, so I sent it. I called to go sure that they got it and don't need anything else and found out that nothing will happen before the 20. July.
I got a friend who knows someone in Birth, Death & Marriages, but I don't know if he actually spoke with him to make sure that it gets accepted. As he is overseas now I will have to wait a few weeks to find that out.

But so happy now! :-)
Hi guys,

I just thought I'd update my situation on here as my bf and I have just successfully registered our relationship in the new NSW register. I'm British on a WHV and we've been together 10months. We both had to provide three types of identification and a stat dec and hey presto - a week later I received a call from NSW BDM office saying that our certificate will be sent after the 28 day 'cooling off period'. Brilliant! It costs $189.

They're still in negotions with the commonwealth so we might not be able to use it to waive the 12 month relationship requirement but look good for our application anyway.

Good luck all.

Emma & Remy


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2010, 05:56 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Thanks for feedback Cori and Pommyemma, good to know that some people are getting through with it OK, even if a preliminary step.
Best wishes to both with the next.





  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19
Please update your flag here .

Here in Victoria you don't provide a stat dec. I was pretty worried about not being able to say anywhere: hey, I really love my partner!

Now to the next adventure: getting the partner visa application ready until october!


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
partner and I have to be together for 12 months before registering our relationship? frankiefrankies Visas and immigration 3 08-05-2011 12:16 PM
Updated info pls-relationship reg. in NSW to waive 12 mnth partner visa requirement Tina R Visas and immigration 0 05-08-2011 01:35 PM
Registering a relationship help! Tjw25 Visas and immigration 6 03-13-2011 10:07 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:22 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com