I have a question...

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

I have a question...

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2010, 02:38 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

I have a question...

Im currently on a student visa until the 8th of november. My boyfriend and me will apply for a de facto visa on 15th of september because then we can provide all the evidence we need. Immigration said it can take 5 till 6 months to be approved, i know it might get approved sooner.
Now i am planning to go back to my home country (holland) for a 3 weeks holiday on the 8th of october. Is this a smart thing to do or should i wait for my de facto visa to be approved? If i leave on the the 8th of october i will only have 1 week left on my student visa when i return to Australia. Can customs refuse access to the country? Although i have applied for my de facto visa? ?
Hope you can help me.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2010, 04:57 AM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 895
Users Flag! From australia

88 likes received
1 likes given
Hi there,

Since you are applying in Australia, you will get a bridging visa when your student visa runs out. This will allow you to stay in Australia while they are processing the de facto visa. You may still have to apply for a re-entry visa to get back in to the country, but you should be free to travel once your application has been lodged and the process of assessing it begins.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
A bridging visa should kick in when your student visa finishes and seeing as you'll still have your student visa valid you should be able to re-enter on that.
That's the theory anyway and just to support it if need be, if you carry a copy of an email acknowledging your partner visa application that would not hurt but hopefully it'll not be required.
You can only hold one visa at anyone time and I'd not expect that you can apply for a re-entry visa for the only one of that nature available is a Resident return visa and you need resident status to get one.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on Form 47Sp Question 81 psj Visas and immigration 1 05-06-2011 05:58 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.