Relationship registration - Sydney??

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Relationship registration - Sydney??


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

Question Relationship registration - Sydney??

Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can help me here! My bf (Aussie) and I (English) are in the proccess of getting our de facto application together. I know that relationship registration may waive the 12-month relationship requirement and that this has been the case in VIC, TAS and ACT (and soonish in NSW) But I've found that in Sydney there is a relationship declaration program that has the same service (i.e you pay a fee, make a declaration, sign it and get a certificate etc).

My question is - Can this service from City of Sydney be used in the same way the Births, Marriages and Deaths servce from VIC and other states to potentially waive the 12 month relationship requirement?

Would the soon-to-be-established NSW relationship register incorporate the couples already registered in the Sydney register?

Should we register our relationship with City of Sydney? WOuld this count? Or should we wait for the NSW register?

We've been together as a 'defacto' for 10 months now after a period of 'dating'. We live together, share accounts and have plenty of shared travel, expenses, blah blah...

We're looking into registration as a way to speed things up since I have to go back home to England (WHV expiring)

Cheers guys,

Emma

I


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommyemma View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can help me here! My bf (Aussie) and I (English) are in the proccess of getting our de facto application together. I know that relationship registration may waive the 12-month relationship requirement and that this has been the case in VIC, TAS and ACT (and soonish in NSW) But I've found that in Sydney there is a relationship declaration program that has the same service (i.e you pay a fee, make a declaration, sign it and get a certificate etc).

My question is - Can this service from City of Sydney be used in the same way the Births, Marriages and Deaths servce from VIC and other states to potentially waive the 12 month relationship requirement?

Would the soon-to-be-established NSW relationship register incorporate the couples already registered in the Sydney register?

Should we register our relationship with City of Sydney? WOuld this count? Or should we wait for the NSW register?

We've been together as a 'defacto' for 10 months now after a period of 'dating'. We live together, share accounts and have plenty of shared travel, expenses, blah blah...

We're looking into registration as a way to speed things up since I have to go back home to England (WHV expiring)

Cheers guys,

Emma

I
I'd be surprised whether the Sydney City rego would be accepted by Immi emma or otherwise they would have had it mentioned and even if they're not aware of it which they possibly aren't, they'd still probably elect to stick with the state governments systems just for some uniformity of using Births, deaths and marriages registries of each state/territory, stuff done by cities being something less formal.
I'd doubt that the NSW registry would pick up the city registrations too and it'd be up to the NSW registry office and though they could say the city document could support your state registration you'll still likely need to put in a full application.
On what another poster posted, NSW're scheduled to implement the registration service sometime in July, so it's not long away.

Another poster on asking questions direct of the Vic registry found that they were looking for a relationship to be about 12 months to get registered and so if NSW do likewise, you could still have an issue.

If you do not have the time to do 3 months regional work or WWOOF Australia for a second WHV some people have been known to look at a trip to NZ and returning on an ETA to get extra time for the 12 months relationship requirement.





  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommyemma View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can help me here! My bf (Aussie) and I (English) are in the proccess of getting our de facto application together. I know that relationship registration may waive the 12-month relationship requirement and that this has been the case in VIC, TAS and ACT (and soonish in NSW) But I've found that in Sydney there is a relationship declaration program that has the same service (i.e you pay a fee, make a declaration, sign it and get a certificate etc).

My question is - Can this service from City of Sydney be used in the same way the Births, Marriages and Deaths servce from VIC and other states to potentially waive the 12 month relationship requirement?

Would the soon-to-be-established NSW relationship register incorporate the couples already registered in the Sydney register?

Should we register our relationship with City of Sydney? WOuld this count? Or should we wait for the NSW register?

We've been together as a 'defacto' for 10 months now after a period of 'dating'. We live together, share accounts and have plenty of shared travel, expenses, blah blah...

We're looking into registration as a way to speed things up since I have to go back home to England (WHV expiring)

Cheers guys,

Emma

I
Hey emma..

i'm pretty sure that regardless you need to have to be in a 12 months relationship as this is one of the requirements for the De Facto visa.


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana View Post
Hey emma..

i'm pretty sure that regardless you need to have to be in a 12 months relationship as this is one of the requirements for the De Facto visa.
If you have a look under Waiver on the 0ne year relationship requirement link under defacto eligibility Lana, you'll see having a relationship registration is listed [ a defacto spouse deal you could say ].





  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11
Please update your flag here .

5 likes received
Relationship registration in NSW starts tomorrow 1st July, I hope this link helps.


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by iko. View Post
Relationship registration in NSW starts tomorrow 1st July, I hope this link helps.
Thanks for the link Iko and looks as though any people considering using registration in NSW as a 12 months waiver may have to wait on Immi/NSW negotiations, ie, in NSW advice is:
Quote:
What is the effect of registration?
Couples in registered relationships will be recognised as “de facto partners” for the purposes of most legislation in NSW.

This will mean people in registered relationships will be able to rely on their certificate of registration to access various entitlements, services and records under NSW law. Registered couples may be able to access more easily, key benefits and rights under NSW legislation. Additionally, in situations that are not necessarily governed by legislation, service providers may choose to accept registration of a relationship as proof of the legitimacy of that relationship.

Couples in registered relationships will also be subject to certain obligations or restrictions under NSW law.

The NSW Government is currently working with the Commonwealth as to whether registration will also enable NSW couples to be recognised as de facto partners under Commonwealth law.




  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Thanks for the link Iko and looks as though any people considering using registration in NSW as a 12 months waiver may have to wait on Immi/NSW negotiations, ie, in NSW advice is:
Wow - they do make it hard don't they?!

I've just downloaded NSW Relationship Registration application forms simple enough. However, both parties need to provide at least three types of evidence from separate categories. Most importantly, category one which includes:

1) Australian Birth Certificate
2) Australian Citizenship Certificate
3) Permanent Residence Status (eg visa in passport)

In my case I have neither - I shall call the registry to see if they'll accept a British birth certificate on Monday. It seems disheartening though.

My only condolence is that there isn't anywhere on the website or form that specifically says that you cannot register your relationship if one party isn't an Australian citizen or a permanent resident. It just says that at least one person has to reside in NSW.

Another hurdle in the long horrible journey of visa preparation...


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2010, 02:44 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 34
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommyemma View Post
Wow - they do make it hard don't they?!

I've just downloaded NSW Relationship Registration application forms simple enough. However, both parties need to provide at least three types of evidence from separate categories. Most importantly, category one which includes:

1) Australian Birth Certificate
2) Australian Citizenship Certificate
3) Permanent Residence Status (eg visa in passport)

In my case I have neither - I shall call the registry to see if they'll accept a British birth certificate on Monday. It seems disheartening though.
Hi emma, ive not checked what it says in NSW re: poviding proof of indentity but in Victoria it states: If you are unable to provide an identifi cation document from List 1, you must provide two from List 2 and one from both List 3 and List 4.

which would simply mean getting a NSW drivers licence and using your UK passport as proof, which would mean you can provide 2 tpyes of evidence from list 2.

One thing slightly confusing me is that to register the relationship, it looks as if you dont need to be living together but for the purposes of de-facto visa you would need to be or would simply having the relationship registered waiver that as well? I would think not but you never know


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommyemma View Post
Wow - they do make it hard don't they?!

I've just downloaded NSW Relationship Registration application forms simple enough. However, both parties need to provide at least three types of evidence from separate categories. Most importantly, category one which includes:

1) Australian Birth Certificate
2) Australian Citizenship Certificate
3) Permanent Residence Status (eg visa in passport)

In my case I have neither - I shall call the registry to see if they'll accept a British birth certificate on Monday. It seems disheartening though.

My only condolence is that there isn't anywhere on the website or form that specifically says that you cannot register your relationship if one party isn't an Australian citizen or a permanent resident. It just says that at least one person has to reside in NSW.

Another hurdle in the long horrible journey of visa preparation...
The Victorian relationship registration has a similar requirement, though it could be four categories and whereas a non Australian passport was also not Category 1 evidence it states if you do not have a Category 1 document, then you should have two from Category 2. which includes an overseas passport and for Victoria, either a drivers or shooters licence.
It might be worth checking the NSW one to see if there is something similar.
Edit: It doesn't though they at least have that " ring us " bit.

Just also remember that they do apparently not yet have in place Immi acceptance it would seem, ie.
Quote:
The NSW Government is currently working with the Commonwealth as to whether registration will also enable NSW couples to be recognised as de facto partners under Commonwealth law.




Last edited by Wanderer; 07-03-2010 at 03:10 AM.

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyle1983 View Post
Hi emma, ive not checked what it says in NSW re: poviding proof of indentity but in Victoria it states: If you are unable to provide an identifi cation document from List 1, you must provide two from List 2 and one from both List 3 and List 4.

which would simply mean getting a NSW drivers licence and using your UK passport as proof, which would mean you can provide 2 tpyes of evidence from list 2.

One thing slightly confusing me is that to register the relationship, it looks as if you dont need to be living together but for the purposes of de-facto visa you would need to be or would simply having the relationship registered waiver that as well? I would think not but you never know
I was typing the same time as you Coyle but a bit later it seems.
You'll only be able to do in NSW what you have choice of in Victoria if in fact NSW have the same provision.
Getting a relationship waiver is just really waiving the length of 12 months requirement and sort of puts you on the same footing as if applying for a spouse visa but for either spouse or defacto visas there's still a heap of other evidence required to show that one way or another you do have a relationship.
A good read of Booklet #1 is essential for people considering any partner or PMV visas.





Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Defacto Visa Application - "relationship registration" francesco_totti Visas and immigration 7 06-01-2013 09:26 AM
Difference b/t NSW 'Relationship Registration' and 'Relationship Certificate'? to OZ! Visas and immigration 11 04-18-2012 03:45 AM
Relationship registration in NSW pommyemma Visas and immigration 9 04-12-2012 07:20 AM
Will relationship registration help 820 visa catherine Visas and immigration 3 11-17-2010 10:24 AM
Relationship registration and stat decs Cori Visas and immigration 1 06-14-2010 04:17 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:35 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com