General questions

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

General questions


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

General questions

Hello Y'all. I just posted in the "New members section" but saw that there was not much action in there.
My name is Ron. I'm currently a 23 year old student in Orlando, FL (USA). I'm studying Automotive Technology and will be specializing in BMW. My graduation date is in late December and I hope to be on my way down to Brisbane, QLD by late January. I am already in communication and negotion with several BMW Dealerships who are interested in hiring me.
I have already done a lot of research on the climate, culture, econemy, transportation, cost of living, etc etc. But my questions are more geared towards the initial steps of getting down there and the immigration process. From the research I have done so far, it looks like I want to apply for a Subclass 457 Long stay (4 year) business visa. But that's as far as I've gotten. Applying is no problem but i'm sure there are more steps than just this, right?
Also any help anybody can provide on documentation needed once I arrive will be helpful. Ex. Drivers license, identification card(s) (what we call a social security card here in the US), and other things of that sort.
I greatly appreciate any help anybody can provide on this matter. Thanks and have a great day


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 29
Please update your flag here .

2 likes received
1 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJr9186 View Post
Hello Y'all. I just posted in the "New members section" but saw that there was not much action in there.
My name is Ron. I'm currently a 23 year old student in Orlando, FL (USA). I'm studying Automotive Technology and will be specializing in BMW. My graduation date is in late December and I hope to be on my way down to Brisbane, QLD by late January. I am already in communication and negotion with several BMW Dealerships who are interested in hiring me.
I have already done a lot of research on the climate, culture, econemy, transportation, cost of living, etc etc. But my questions are more geared towards the initial steps of getting down there and the immigration process. From the research I have done so far, it looks like I want to apply for a Subclass 457 Long stay (4 year) business visa. But that's as far as I've gotten. Applying is no problem but i'm sure there are more steps than just this, right?
Also any help anybody can provide on documentation needed once I arrive will be helpful. Ex. Drivers license, identification card(s) (what we call a social security card here in the US), and other things of that sort.
I greatly appreciate any help anybody can provide on this matter. Thanks and have a great day
Hi Ron,

I don't know much about the 457 visa, but obviously the main piece of documentation you are going to need once you arrive in Australia is your passport and visa showing your residency status.

Your US license will be OK to use to start with - see this link: Driving in Queensland with a foreign licence (Queensland Department of Transport) for more information about this, and what you need to do to apply for a Queensland license.

The Australian Government doesn't issue Social Security Numbers. But in order to get paid you will need a Tax File Number (TFN). See the following: Apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) (you can apply for a TFN online)

Hopefully someone else can give you some more information about the 457 - best of luck!


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJr9186 View Post
Hello Y'all. I just posted in the "New members section" but saw that there was not much action in there.
My name is Ron. I'm currently a 23 year old student in Orlando, FL (USA). I'm studying Automotive Technology and will be specializing in BMW. My graduation date is in late December and I hope to be on my way down to Brisbane, QLD by late January. I am already in communication and negotion with several BMW Dealerships who are interested in hiring me.
I have already done a lot of research on the climate, culture, econemy, transportation, cost of living, etc etc. But my questions are more geared towards the initial steps of getting down there and the immigration process. From the research I have done so far, it looks like I want to apply for a Subclass 457 Long stay (4 year) business visa. But that's as far as I've gotten. Applying is no problem but i'm sure there are more steps than just this, right?
Also any help anybody can provide on documentation needed once I arrive will be helpful. Ex. Drivers license, identification card(s) (what we call a social security card here in the US), and other things of that sort.
I greatly appreciate any help anybody can provide on this matter. Thanks and have a great day
If you've not had a good read of Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration that'll be a place to start Ron and you'll find an outline of eligibility requirements for both employers, the positions they can employ in and employees.
Between the ENSOL on Skilled Occupation Lists (Formerly Known as Form 1121i) and A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information you may be able to determine where you'll be at re occupation designation.
I'd not imagine that Auto dealerships are too up with immigration requirements and there could be something of an education program for them on that.

There's also the matter of what visa you arrive on if you have not got an employer and a sponsorship visa beforehand for on a tourist visa for instance, they can have No Further Stay conditions imposed and that means you're effectively here as a tourist whose intent is to leave.
There is the W & H visa available to US citizens, good for a year and allowing work of up to six months with any one employer but they can have a restriction re a further skilled visa.
Visa Options - Working Holiday - Visas & Immigration
Some people do attempt to use an ETA to get around the NFS condition and you can still be questioned in regard to your intent of the trip here [ not a great idea to say eventually working ] and especially so if you are carrying a heap of work related stuff like qualifications [ so don't ]and only a one way ticket [ you could be thinking of taking in New Zealand too and have not scheduled an exact departure date ] and they could be interested in the extent of funding you have and a credit card account balance can assist a savings account.
There is also an ETA Business and I suppose you could be making some sort of a survey!
Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) - Online Applications
You'll find a heap of stuff about Oz under Citizenship & Living in Australia and in particular settling in Australia.





Last edited by Wanderer; 07-07-2010 at 04:12 AM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

Thanks for the very helpful links y'all. I just spent about 3 hours reading through all of this and my eyes hurt lol. I have a few further questions I could not find answers for:

Refering to the Subclass 457 Business Visa:
[B]Once you submit a request for the visa, what is the time period to recieve an answer?

It says in the 'Obligations' section that you must remain in the field you are sponsored for. I plan to remain an Auto Technician, however, am I eligible to work a part time job in a seperate field?[B]

Thanks y'all.


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2010, 02:53 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJr9186 View Post
Thanks for the very helpful links y'all. I just spent about 3 hours reading through all of this and my eyes hurt lol. I have a few further questions I could not find answers for:

Refering to the Subclass 457 Business Visa:
[B]Once you submit a request for the visa, what is the time period to recieve an answer?

It says in the 'Obligations' section that you must remain in the field you are sponsored for. I plan to remain an Auto Technician, however, am I eligible to work a part time job in a seperate field?[B]

Thanks y'all.
The 457 is specifically an employer sponsor visa and the employer in applying has to nominate the position, an occupation from the ENSOL.
Though you can put in an application simultaneously, it is probably best for the employer to have approval for if they don't, your application goes nowhere.
You'll find a guide to processing times on Client Service Charter
And your visa is to allow you to only work for the employer who is sponsoring you.





  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

Well it looks like I need to talk to my future employer before applying for a visa. If I am unable to find an employer to sponsor me though, it looks like the Skilled-Independent 175 will suite me best. The only problem I see with this particular visa is the cost... The 457 is only 800. The 175 shows to be an upfront payment of $2575 and another payment of $3575 is due at an unknown date. This is a lot of money, especially concidering that I will have over $30k in school loans to pay back once I start working. These look to be the only 2 options I can find.


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJr9186 View Post
Well it looks like I need to talk to my future employer before applying for a visa. If I am unable to find an employer to sponsor me though, it looks like the Skilled-Independent 175 will suite me best. The only problem I see with this particular visa is the cost... The 457 is only 800. The 175 shows to be an upfront payment of $2575 and another payment of $3575 is due at an unknown date. This is a lot of money, especially concidering that I will have over $30k in school loans to pay back once I start working. These look to be the only 2 options I can find.
Last time I looked and not long ago the 457 was about $240 so maybe your $800 comes from adding the employers and employees fees together, but yep, you need a sponsoring employer.
The second payment with an independent visa is only if you have dependents without a functional english skill level and the second installment as it is called is for english classes.





Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ielts general or academic plmmta Visas and immigration 2 10-04-2011 03:32 PM
Working Visa + General Questions SamParsons Visas and immigration 0 07-03-2011 10:55 AM
Questions on General Skilled Migration TPMK Visas and immigration 0 04-19-2011 05:28 AM
General Questions on visa approval... CapnMunch Visas and immigration 3 12-29-2010 12:09 AM
Defacto Visa questions,questions,questions!!!! fazz Visas and immigration 1 06-05-2010 04:34 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com