Some Guidance Please - Software Engineer

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Some Guidance Please - Software Engineer


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Please update your flag here .

Exclamation Some Guidance Please - Software Engineer

Hi. I am a software engineer with 6+ years of experience in the field. I've studied the following and would like to know if I can apply under the new ANZSCO occupation "Software Engineer" without the need to fill out RPL (too lengthy!) and what are my chances:

BSc (Hons) Computer Systems Engineering - (1 Year study) - Subjects for two full semesters were: Software Engineering, Operating Systems, Signal Analysis, Computer Systms Eng.

Higher National Diploma in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (2 yrs full time study): had subjects in Introduction to Programming, Software Design and other engineering & systems subjects

National Diploma in Electronics & Communications Engineering (2 yrs full time): Subjects: Programming, Project management, microprocessors, data comms, hardware and other electronics subjects.

My wife's sister is a australia citizen currently living in australia.

My questions if anyone can answer please:

1) Is my Bsc (Hons) degree a major in ICT or minor? I'm confused.

2) I'm applying with 6+ years of experience. Should I apply to ACS without an RPL?

3) And which assessment grade would i be assessed at - Grade A, B or C? Please advice.

4) how can I improve my application? Am i missing out something here?

5) I need to type the experience letters myself and have them signed by my employer. Can anyone please send me a format that is acceptable to ACS - preferably for a software engineer.

Any advice will be a greattttt helpp..

cheers..

regards
Jack


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by planningtomigrate View Post
Hi. I am a software engineer with 6+ years of experience in the field. I've studied the following and would like to know if I can apply under the new ANZSCO occupation "Software Engineer" without the need to fill out RPL (too lengthy!) and what are my chances:

BSc (Hons) Computer Systems Engineering - (1 Year study) - Subjects for two full semesters were: Software Engineering, Operating Systems, Signal Analysis, Computer Systms Eng.

Higher National Diploma in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (2 yrs full time study): had subjects in Introduction to Programming, Software Design and other engineering & systems subjects

National Diploma in Electronics & Communications Engineering (2 yrs full time): Subjects: Programming, Project management, microprocessors, data comms, hardware and other electronics subjects.

My wife's sister is a australia citizen currently living in australia.

My questions if anyone can answer please:

1) Is my Bsc (Hons) degree a major in ICT or minor? I'm confused.

2) I'm applying with 6+ years of experience. Should I apply to ACS without an RPL?

3) And which assessment grade would i be assessed at - Grade A, B or C? Please advice.

4) how can I improve my application? Am i missing out something here?

5) I need to type the experience letters myself and have them signed by my employer. Can anyone please send me a format that is acceptable to ACS - preferably for a software engineer.

Any advice will be a greattttt helpp..

cheers..

regards
Jack
We never get too many IT bods returning to the forum to tell of their ACS assessment experiences but by the sounds of you having a BSc., it may be accepted as the basic degree qualifications and they usually look for four years of appropriate experience so sounds like you could be fine.
Any documentation is best put by having good detail and though you may type up your letters yourself, using comapny letterhead paper is a good idea.
If you have a look under the eligibility section of a 175 or 176 visa you'll find reference to detail re work experience and that'll give you an idea of what needs to be provided, position held, responsibility, detailed description of work, any major projects etc.
Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)
If you want to consider a 176 application through family sponsorship you may want to have your wife's sister check with Immi for it may not apply according to Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)





  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Please update your flag here .

Hello,

Thanks for the information.

I thought it'd be best to put up my qualifications so that you could answer me accordingly.

What about RPL? Do I still need to fill that in?

Would you have any templates of the work experience that has been previously accepted by ACS?

And do you have any idea how long does it take for the entire process including ACS to get the PR? Is it three years?

Thanks again


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by planningtomigrate View Post
Hello,

Thanks for the information.

I thought it'd be best to put up my qualifications so that you could answer me accordingly.

What about RPL? Do I still need to fill that in?

Would you have any templates of the work experience that has been previously accepted by ACS?

And do you have any idea how long does it take for the entire process including ACS to get the PR? Is it three years?

Thanks again
I've never been involved with ACS and forums can only offer so much by way of guidance and you do have to some amalysis yourself by reviewing your qualifications and experience against what an occupation may require.
Processing times can vary enormously as indicated on Client Service Charter
It can also depend ultimately on what type or classification of visa you apply for and a look at the processing priority of 08February on What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration may be helpful.





  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Please update your flag here .

Hi all...just wanted to let you know that my ACS assessment was successful and it was assessed under Group A category.

Applied online at ACS website on 1st August

Documents couriered, received and acknowledged by ACS (via email & online status) on 10th August 2010,

Case finalised and result mailed out on 24th august 2010.

Letter received by post on 4th September in Dubai.

yep, surprisingly all was done in just two weeks + about one week to receive the letter!

will now be applying online at the DIAC website...

Thanks again...


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 16
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by planningtomigrate View Post
Hello,

Thanks for the information.

I thought it'd be best to put up my qualifications so that you could answer me accordingly.

What about RPL? Do I still need to fill that in?

Would you have any templates of the work experience that has been previously accepted by ACS?

And do you have any idea how long does it take for the entire process including ACS to get the PR? Is it three years?

Thanks again
Hi Congratulations !!! I am also on my way to for skill assessment. I have Master of computer application degree and 6 years of IT experience. only thing I am concerned is about reference letter from current employer. I dont have letter head and company will not issue me detailed letter. please give me your valuable suggestion on documentation that need to send to ACS. Thanks in advance


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
You may find either/both ACS/Immi do have informayion in FAQ/eligibility section links re providing evidence.





  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

RPL or SKILLS? assessment

Congrats for your clearance of assessment. And I hope by now you must have also applied for the immigration application. It is great to hear about you.

I need your advice.

I was looking forward to apply for Australia Immigration and almost ready with papers to file the application.

In the online application form there comes an option where one has to choose "Skills Application Type" . I am confused which one suits me the best : SKILLS or RPL?

My Qualification is Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Telecommunications from India.

And work wise I am working in software industry as a software engineer for almost 7 years now.

Please advice which is the correct option for me to file my papers? Do I need to file RPL assessment or normal assessment under SKILLS will be good for me?

Please advice.

Thanks
Aarkay


Quote:
Originally Posted by planningtomigrate View Post
Hi all...just wanted to let you know that my ACS assessment was successful and it was assessed under Group A category.

Applied online at ACS website on 1st August

Documents couriered, received and acknowledged by ACS (via email & online status) on 10th August 2010,

Case finalised and result mailed out on 24th august 2010.

Letter received by post on 4th September in Dubai.

yep, surprisingly all was done in just two weeks + about one week to receive the letter!

will now be applying online at the DIAC website...

Thanks again...


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Please update your flag here .

thanks...

yes i applied for the visa in mid sept 2010 but haven't been assigned a CO yet.

i dont remember it quite well now but it is clearly mentioned in the ACS website about grading criteria...

i believe if your degree had subjects (for atleast two or four semesters) related to your current work, you don't need to choose the RPL method...

so if you have studied software engineering for a good period of time in your degree, you don't need RPL...

regards


Quote:
Originally Posted by aarkay View Post
Congrats for your clearance of assessment. And I hope by now you must have also applied for the immigration application. It is great to hear about you.

I need your advice.

I was looking forward to apply for Australia Immigration and almost ready with papers to file the application.

In the online application form there comes an option where one has to choose "Skills Application Type" . I am confused which one suits me the best : SKILLS or RPL?

My Qualification is Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Telecommunications from India.

And work wise I am working in software industry as a software engineer for almost 7 years now.

Please advice which is the correct option for me to file my papers? Do I need to file RPL assessment or normal assessment under SKILLS will be good for me?

Please advice.

Thanks
Aarkay


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perth : Software Engineer Bibbs Jobs and work 12 05-20-2011 06:36 AM
Job prospects for a software engineer in Australia mani Jobs and work 2 02-18-2011 04:04 AM
ACS Skill assesment questions for a software engineer fawad85 Visas and immigration 4 01-13-2010 01:36 AM
Mechanical Engineer working as a Sales Engineer/Manager for any Engineering Product allzfair Jobs and work 1 04-27-2009 01:21 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:54 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com