Evidence for Partner Visa

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Evidence for Partner Visa


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Evidence for Partner Visa

Hi,
I was wondering if someone could help me with a few questions i have regarding the partner visa - in particular financial/household evidence requirements.

Here's just some background information.

I'm a USA citizen and am currently on a Work and Holiday Visa in Australia. While in Australia, I haven't been working - sort of just taking a 'break' - and been living off my savings. Also, i'm living with my partner and her family and neither of us pay any bills/rent. As far as finances go we opened a joint bank account and from it share our everyday expenses such as taking turns to buy lunch/groceries. But most of this money is taken out of the ATM, so there's no proof that it was used for groceries etc. My partner is currently studying, and not working so all her money comes from what parents give her monthly. Prior to me coming to Australia, we had been taking turns travelling back and forth to see each other. I paid for my own tickets, and her parents paid for hers.

So my questions are...Do both/either of us need to be financially independent? Will not having a stable source of income (currently) affect our application?

Thanks for your help.


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHB_Green View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could help me with a few questions i have regarding the partner visa - in particular financial/household evidence requirements.

Here's just some background information.

I'm a USA citizen and am currently on a Work and Holiday Visa in Australia. While in Australia, I haven't been working - sort of just taking a 'break' - and been living off my savings. Also, i'm living with my partner and her family and neither of us pay any bills/rent. As far as finances go we opened a joint bank account and from it share our everyday expenses such as taking turns to buy lunch/groceries. But most of this money is taken out of the ATM, so there's no proof that it was used for groceries etc. My partner is currently studying, and not working so all her money comes from what parents give her monthly. Prior to me coming to Australia, we had been taking turns travelling back and forth to see each other. I paid for my own tickets, and her parents paid for hers.

So my questions are...Do both/either of us need to be financially independent? Will not having a stable source of income (currently) affect our application?

Thanks for your help.
If you have a look at the wording on Partner Visa: Onshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 820 and 801) would you say you come close to meeting the requirements or have more of a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship?





  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 29
Please update your flag here .

2 likes received
1 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHB_Green View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could help me with a few questions i have regarding the partner visa - in particular financial/household evidence requirements.

Here's just some background information.

I'm a USA citizen and am currently on a Work and Holiday Visa in Australia. While in Australia, I haven't been working - sort of just taking a 'break' - and been living off my savings. Also, i'm living with my partner and her family and neither of us pay any bills/rent. As far as finances go we opened a joint bank account and from it share our everyday expenses such as taking turns to buy lunch/groceries. But most of this money is taken out of the ATM, so there's no proof that it was used for groceries etc. My partner is currently studying, and not working so all her money comes from what parents give her monthly. Prior to me coming to Australia, we had been taking turns travelling back and forth to see each other. I paid for my own tickets, and her parents paid for hers.

So my questions are...Do both/either of us need to be financially independent? Will not having a stable source of income (currently) affect our application?

Thanks for your help.
Usually the type of evidence you need is joint financial statements (e.g. bank statements, tax returns), joint ownership of assets, photographs of you together especially at significant events, travel documents (which it looks like you should have if you've been travelling back and forth to see each other), statutory declarations/statements from family and friends attesting to your mutual life together, statements of your relationship. The list is set out in this document: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf (Part 7). Pretty much what is set out there is what you need to provide - if you don't think you have this kind of evidence, it might be worth getting advice from a migration agent to help you with the application.

You don't necessarily need to be financially independent but DIAC will probably ask you for an Assurance of Support (AOS) because, if both you and your partner are unemployed, they will probably assess you both as a likely users of social security. The assurer can be your partner's parents or any Australia citizen or permanent resident that you know who meets the income requirements (approximately $26,000 p.a.) - it is a legal undertaking on the assurer's part to repay any government benefits you receive. You only need to provide an AOS if they ask you for one, after you have put in the visa application.

best of luck!


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
Please update your flag here .

im going through all this myself right now....call immi and get a booklet and it should help answer any questions.


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2010, 03:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
If you have a look at the wording on Partner Visa: Onshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 820 and 801) would you say you come close to meeting the requirements or have more of a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship?
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I've looked through the partner visa eligibility a number of times and believe we meet the requirements - except for what i was concerned about earlier.

Basically, i've been in Australia since last November, and have been living with my partner. Prior to that, we would visit each other for 2-3 months at a time, and then spending 2-3months apart. While apart, we were in contact with each other every day on the phone and have been doing this for over 2 years and would rather not keep doing that.


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2010, 04:23 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHB_Green View Post
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I've looked through the partner visa eligibility a number of times and believe we meet the requirements - except for what i was concerned about earlier.

Basically, i've been in Australia since last November, and have been living with my partner. Prior to that, we would visit each other for 2-3 months at a time, and then spending 2-3months apart. While apart, we were in contact with each other every day on the phone and have been doing this for over 2 years and would rather not keep doing that.
Well it will come down to how well you can present your relationship and the Booklet #1 that Rosie referes to is available on the Immi web site in the partner visa info, so best you address all the requirements as best you can.
Also have a read of elkittens Sticky thread as that may help and just recently there have been a couple of threads where I have mentioned getting a relationship registration, so might be of use if you have a look at a few down the page and pick up on that.





  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Well it will come down to how well you can present your relationship and the Booklet #1 that Rosie referes to is available on the Immi web site in the partner visa info, so best you address all the requirements as best you can.
Also have a read of elkittens Sticky thread as that may help and just recently there have been a couple of threads where I have mentioned getting a relationship registration, so might be of use if you have a look at a few down the page and pick up on that.
Ok, i'll have a look through the forums. I didn't realise you could register your relationship until you mentioned it.

Thanks again for your suggestions.


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what evidence do you use for you partner visa? agurk Visas and immigration 6 01-18-2012 08:56 AM
Is this enough evidence for a subclass 309 partner visa?? headinghome Visas and immigration 1 09-23-2011 03:15 AM
Collecting Evidence For Partner Visa olex Visas and immigration 4 03-03-2011 03:36 AM
Enough evidence to lodge a partner visa? jellybelly Visas and immigration 12 12-25-2010 05:49 PM
Partner Visa- evidence enquiry ndrea87 Visas and immigration 1 09-12-2010 12:45 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:20 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com