Partner Visa?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree1Likes

Partner Visa?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

Smile Partner Visa?

Hi.. i'm a little confused about the partner visa.
My boyfriend is overseas and wants to be with me in australia..
we have never lived together yet but he'll come here soon to stay with me and my family (either on a student or tourist visa).
what are all of our options for a partner visa?.. how long would he have to stay with us to be elegible for a partner visa? Can i or one of my family members sponsor him in any way to come here?..

One more question (although not related to the partner visa)...
can a certificate III in hospitality make him elegible for a working visa?

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 895
Users Flag! From australia

88 likes received
1 likes given
Hi Katherine,

I guess you are going to try for a de facto partner visa? If so, you will have to live together with your boyfriend for a full 12 months before applying for an onshore visa. You as his partner are the only person who can sponsor him and you'll have to submit forms together with your partner. But, your family members can help you show financial support if you are asked for an Assurance of Support. If you live in a state that allows it, you could also register the relationship, making you a legally recognised de facto couple, this then removing the 12 month requirement.

If you are serious about eachother, you might also consider a prospective marriage visa (fiance visa). This one does not require 12 months living together in order to be elibigble, but you need to organise a wedding date before you apply and get married within 9 months of him arriving. Then once married he would have to apply for a partner visa as your husband.

If you haven't already, visit the DIAC site and read about the partner visa options:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Family - Visas & Immigration

I know it's confusing, but it's important to have a clear understanding of your options and before you plunge into the process of applying. If you need any more help, just let us know

Last edited by aussiegirl; 07-25-2010 at 02:32 PM.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

Yeah that's the one.. de facto partner visa..
marriage is not really an option for me until i'm a little older.
I probably should add more detail to make it easier for people here to help.
I'm 17 years old (18 in January) living in Sydney and my boyfriend is from India.
He's planning to come here in late January-early February to live with me and my parents..
if he comes on a student visa and does the hospitality course the course will only go for 6 months..
if he comes on a tourist visa is it possible for him to stay for the entire 12months?
Do you have any idea if NSW will allow us to register the relationship?
and one more question.. what exactly is the Assurance of Support?

Thank you for your help

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

oh... one thing i just thought of..
what if he does his six month course and then applies for a 6 month tourist visa..
is that at all possible or would a 12 month tourist visa be easier?..
and would he be able to apply for a tourist visa while in Australia or would he have to do that once he finishes his course and goes back to India.. and if that's the case.. does him being back in India while waiting for the tourist visa mean that it has broken our 12 month de facto relationship because he'll be away from me for a little while?..
does that make sense at all?.. i hope so

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Skydancer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
Posts: 206
Users Flag! From australia

8 likes received
26 likes given
Hi Katherine!

Do you realise that it is difficult for an Indian single male to get a 12 month tourist visa? He will need to show that he has a certain (large) amount in his bank account and a solid reason for needing to return to India. It is highly likely he would get a refusal. It happened to me when my Indian boyfriend applied to come here, even though we included statements that he would be staying with my parents and me and that we would take care of his expenses. Same thing happened to several other young Indian guys we know.

Student visa would probably be a better option.
I wish you both all the best of luck :-)

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
As Skydancer indicates, there are restrictions re countries and tourist visas that can be attained.
Studying hospitality is not going to be considered a highly skilled area and first thing anyone needs to look at for student visas is the eligibility requirements for those too as they have been made more stringent of late.
You'll find a menu for all visas to left hand side of most Immi site pages.
And if you do not have a full 12 months together, there are few exceptions for anything else to be accepted other than waiving by relationship registration, not yet available for NSW.
The other issue with a tourist visa is that they usually have a No Further Stay condition applied and thus being here on one would prevent another visa from being applied for.

Last edited by Wanderer; 07-26-2010 at 10:45 AM.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

@ Skydancer -
i guess the 12 month visa won't be an option then because money is a bit of a problem.. and most courses are way too expensive.. and apparently hospitality is not on the skilled list.. so i'm now a little confused on what i should do.
It's alright.. we'll find a way.
Thanks for your reply

@ Wanderer -
i was under the impression that hospitality was on the list..
i've had a look at it before but i can't seem to find the list anywhere now. If you know where the list of courses which will make a person highly skilled is.. it would be a great help if you could send me a link to that.

if the 12 month tourist visa is impossible... is it possible for him to apply for a tourist visa and continue extending it or will it always have a no further stay condition applied?

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Skydancer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
Posts: 206
Users Flag! From australia

8 likes received
26 likes given
Katherine, sorry to say, it's very difficult for an Indian single male with limited funds to get a tourist visa to Australia (or to many other countries for that matter)!

My boyfriend only wanted to stay two months and was rejected. It would be wise to be prepared for an alternative plan, just in case. By the way, they will not indicate the reason for the refusal and there is no chance for appeal.

It's great that you are feeling positive. It makes it easier to think clearly and plan wisely ! True love always finds a way :-)

Last edited by Skydancer; 07-26-2010 at 10:43 AM.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

Sorry to ask if it's personal..
but i'm interested to know what you and your boyfriend did once he was rejected to stay for only two months?..
i would be torn if that happened to us :-O
But like you said.. true love always finds a way.. staying positive makes it a hell of a lot easier for us :-)

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13
Please update your flag here .

Confused! :-s

Hi.. i apologise if i have repeated myself in a few posts.. but i just want to clarify a few things and completely understand everything.

This is my story.. i am 17 from Sydney, NSW.. my boyfriend is from India and we are looking for a way for us to be together. He will come in late january 2011 and will be staying with my family and myself. Marriage is not an option for me yet.. so i'm looking for any other way for us to be together other than through a marriage visa.

I have some questions.. if you can answer one that's great if you can answer a few that's fantastic if you can answer them all you are the biggest life saver!

1. if he came here to study a certificate III in hospitality would that qualify him to apply for a work and holiday visa?

2. if he lives with me for 12 months we can then apply for a de facto partner visa. If his chosen course to study goes for less than 12 months then how can we keep him here for a longer period of time?

3. Example.. if he chooses a course to study which goes for 6 months can he then apply for a 6month tourist visa so it will add up to 12 months of living with me?

4. Are there any other options for us?? if there is please let me know.. i am very confused about this whole process and will greatly appreciate any help or advice that is given to me.

Thank you very much

Closed Thread

australia, confused, family, hospitality, india, partner, sponsor, visa

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my partner staying w/me on 12mth tourist visa enough to start the Spouse Visa app? b_curl Visas and immigration 0 08-01-2011 04:09 PM
practicalities of living in Australia on a partner visa & general partner visa stuff Freya Visas and immigration 0 07-05-2011 05:52 AM
prospective marriage visa(300) or partner(309) when you have a tourist visa? cristinacristina Visas and immigration 1 02-20-2011 02:01 AM
Partner Visa application (12 months together on Tourist Visa?) Todd&Emma Visas and immigration 9 07-21-2010 09:44 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.