Advice on best visa option

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Advice on best visa option

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Question Advice on best visa option

My boyfriend and I are really quite confused as to which visa he should apply for. He eventually wants PR here, so we're just after a bit of advice as to how we should go about that.
He is currently here on a student visa (from Kenya), it will expire in March 2011 - in November he would have completed a diploma in Community Services, Lifestyle and Leisure.
He hasn't had any work in this field apart from the work placement included in his course - therefore we were thinking that the Skilled - Graduate temporary visa may be a good option??
Other than that - we figure he could extend his student visa, how easy is that process?
He has a brother and sister who both live here in Australia and are both PR's, they sponsored him when he first came to Australia and are still willing to do that for any further visa he needs.
He and I have been together for almost a year, but have not lived together - we're hoping to move in with each other at the beginning of next year, providing he can obtain a new visa! So the partner/spouse visa isnt an option for us
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
PR skilled visas are based on skills in demand and people need appropriate qualifications and either experience if applying from outside of Australia or when studying appropriate courses in Australia that may create eligibility to apply from within, it being determined by qualifications studied for.
The Skilled Occupations List link via Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration is the determiner.
There is also the ENSOL list and list for TR 457 employer sponsor visas.
I do not think a diploma in Community Services will necessarily meet the qualification requirements for any particular occupations on the SOL.
A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information will be helpful re qualification levels.
You'll also find the Graduate visa has occupational qualification requirements.
He can look at further study and having a student visa already, that should have him familiar with the process though there have been changes re financial support to be available, but it is not and ideal approach to study for the sole purpose of PR for regulations can be changed and no result is guaranteed for a skilled visa one sort or another is a totally separate visa.
And that's really the crux of the situation for whereas many people may want to get PR, the immigration process is designed around required skills Australia needs and not the desire of people for PR.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Student Visa for my sister is it the best option allykc Visas and immigration 6 07-17-2011 02:55 PM
Best option for visa: 476 or WHV? mcrutti Visas and immigration 0 06-15-2011 08:36 PM
Best Option from USA zantar Visas and immigration 1 06-14-2011 09:11 PM
Last Option for help!!! PLZ READ SamanthaLK2009 Visas and immigration 13 12-17-2009 12:33 AM
Few Questions for Australian Immigration Visa Option 175 komail Visas and immigration 2 06-17-2009 06:52 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.