Partner Visa for 60 year old!

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Partner Visa for 60 year old!

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Please update your flag here .

Partner Visa for 60 year old!

Hi guys, I have done a bit of research on a Partner Visa and while I have read a lot about Partners/de factos and marriage visas I have read nothing relating to my situation. It is a bit out the ordinary so here goes:

I lived in Oz with my son for 1.5 years then left to go back to the UK earlier this year. I have subsequently returned in May 2010 on a 12 month tourist visa and the neighbour I was seeing prior to my departure is now my partner. The unusual factor is I am 59 and he is 64 (Australian citizen). Now my current visa has a 'no further stay' section marked on it and I plan to leave in June 2011 when it runs out.

I was looking into my options as my son lives with my 2 x grandchildren here and I am really enjoying my time in Oz (even though all other family/friends in the UK including 2 x sons). Therefore, if I was looking at getting a Partner visa what kind of things should I start doing now in preparation, I have noticed many who have questioned Partner visas on here have all had no information/evidence and limited statements together.

Given I am on a 676 tourist visa, there are limited things we can do (ie can I open a bank account? telephone bill?). What we have talked about is getting the utility bills together, car insurance and maybe even a bank statement or driving license in his property name. In my investigations, I have found out that we could also "register our relationship" in NSW. Given our age and circumstances, we are not really interested in getting married nor do we think we should do this just to get a permenant visa.

Any other help or advice would be greatly appreciated - I dont want to get to June next year and realise there are certain things we need or should have done. We do not have any bills/leases in our name as yet as we just live together and never thought there was any need until I did a bit of research into this visa type. Can anyone advise if there will be any issues with having bills from now (only 9 months to June next year) when I come to advising for a Partner visa in June next year??

Thanks in advice,


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 64
Please update your flag here .

2 likes received
I think registering the relationship is a good idea. I understand not wanting to get married for the sake of the permanent visa, but registering the relationship with BDM would be worthwhile and could be a lot of help to your application, especially if you won't have lived together for the 12 months.

Maybe try to email some correspondence to your real estate agent that someone else is now living in the house also. They might say they can't change the lease but approve the additional person. Keep that correspondence and add that as evidence to your application. Do it asap so that it is dated from now.

Are you planning on having a mobile phone? If you do get one get it set up on a plan so that the bills arrive at the house you are living at together. Maybe also consider getting a drivers licence. The evidence that you send (bills etc) don't necessarily have to have both of your names on them. If you are both receiving mail to the same address you can send a copy of each.

I would certainly look into getting a bank account. I'm not sure what your visa allows you to get, but I do know that opening a bank account in Australia is no where near as hard as it is in the UK!

Good luck!

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Have a read of the sticky thread by el kitten as she put down quite a bit of information in regard to application preparation and certainly look into getting your name with the same address on as much as possible but some utilities may be reticent to change if it is explained you are on a tourist visa and so perhaps the fella can just request it without too much detail being given though they could ask for some info like ID and bank account details so seeing about a drivers licence and a bank account probably ought to be first cab off the rank.
The relationship registration ought to be also sought seeing as that will waive the 12 months requirement if that becomes an issue.
The NFS condition will still prevent you from applying onshore and so come next June you could take a trip over to NZ to apply from there but do not leave it until the last days of your tourist visa as to get aboard a flight to NZ you'll need to have a return flight and right of entry.
On getting to NZ you can put in the application and then return to Australia on another torist visa to await the partner visa being ready to grant when it would mean another trip over there or alternately on your first trip over there, you could see about getting an ETA via a travel agent there and then return for another visit without a NFS condition.
The extra time in Australia would at least see you get the full 12 months together and you could then apply onshore.
The one issue all people contemplating that approach need to address is that an ETA is just for visiting and you can be queried on arrival.

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Please update your flag here .


Thanks guys

I will look into the DVL and bank account first..... think the bank account is difficult as I have alreadt asked around a few!

My partner's property is currently leased privately and the lease expired years ago - not sure how easy it would be to get my name on anything or even email the owner?? Could try and get some utilities put in both names such as Telstra and/or electric?

Also, I have my medicare card that I can change the address on easy enough..... I will look into the DVL as I have a UK one and think it can be easily changed over - however it depends on the visa (not sure if tourists can get an ozzy license?).....

Any other ideas guys - I was thinking we have RSL memberships - but how do we prove we went together? or how do they know we were together? I suppose we may have to take a couple of trips away together

Thanks again for the useful tips and I read the sticky it was great

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2010, 04:35 AM
Active Member
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18
Please update your flag here .

You can get a bank account! It's easy, I opened one on a 676 last year with just my passport and have been using it every since. Joint account it definitely a good idea and you should have no trouble getting it

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partner Visa - Waiver of the 2 year waiting period Lisa84 Visas and immigration 12 04-22-2013 11:54 AM
Please Help! Is it possible for 19 year old to get 457 Visa? kmvidler1 Visas and immigration 1 05-25-2011 10:23 PM
Partner Visa, Defacto 1 year relationship requirement Flipsenorita Visas and immigration 4 03-24-2011 04:31 PM
Partner - Not living together, but in 5 year relationship. jonty129 Visas and immigration 4 08-18-2010 01:34 PM
One year study Accounting and one year Marketing. Profession-Accountant Fadil Visas and immigration 2 04-16-2010 06:04 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.