Defacto Visa in a few months??

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Defacto Visa in a few months??

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Question Defacto Visa in a few months??

I have a few questions that I wouldn't mind a bit of help with if someone has any ideas. Basically myself and my boyfriend have been getting our stuff together for a defacto visa. I am a 31 year old from Australia and he is a 28 year old from Ireland. We have been together over 4 years and have been living together about a year and a half in Dublin, Ireland. We've got all that proof and have almost got all our stuff together to send off, but here is my dilemma. We were planning that we weren't going to be in Melbourne until September 2011, so there was plenty of time for us to apply for the defacto visa and to hopefully get it before we left. However, we have had a change of heart and now want to be in Melbourne by January/February my questions are:

If we were to hand in our application for a defacto visa now, would there really be any chance it would be approved by early next year?

My boyfriend could very easily get a year's working visa because he's never had one before and he young enough...but if we did that, could we then apply for the defacto visa once we got to Australia while he is on the working visa and would all our defacto living together arrangements in Ireland still stand in Melbourne or would we have to prove another year of living together in melbourne?

My other question are you allowed to apply for the defacto visa from here and then could my boyfriend also get a year's working visa at the same time while waiting to hear about the defacto visa? So that if he is in Australia he can work while waiting to hear about the defacto visa? Basically if we send it off now, it might still too be late by January, but it might only be a couple more months...instead of only sending it off once we get to Australia and then having to wait longer again?

Anyway...i don't know how much sense i've made, i'm basically just looking for what would be the best road to go down as we've only got a few months now till we want to leave!!

Thanking you in advance!!

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
You could do it either way you have thought of and if your application is ready to go with medical already done and police check as well and you got the application in this coming week, you never know the luck of the Irish and so tell him to kiss that stone on the way to the PO and the wind may be at the Postal sevice and COs back as well as his and February may be a possibility.
Even without the medical and police check ready, get arrangements for those in hand and still get the application away ASAP and the medical will be sent in and he can send the police check in as soon as he has it and February might still be a possibility.
January might be asking for two much from kissing the stone and especially so if the Immi people over there take too much of a break over Xmas/NY.
It could be longer than February for processing times vary depending on numbers of applications received and staff leave etc.

But once lodged, he could even get an eVisa or ETA to come to Australia with if he didn't want to do the WHV and the only advantage of the latter is that he could work while awaiting the partner visa and perhaps it is more of a backstop just in case for some reason they reckon you have not got sufficient proof of living together.
But either way, he'll need to plan a trip out of Australia to have the partner visa granted if it is not granted before you leave, for being an offshore visa one needs to be offshore for granting and so most people in that situation take a trip from the east coast across to New Zealand.

The other alternative as you say is that if he comes out on a WHV he could apply for it from here and so then being an onshore visa, it can be granted without him leaving and yes, your time together in Ireland will count.

There's probably not a lot of difference which way you do it other than the extra trip out of Australia if that becomes necessary and to make it unneccesary, you could do something like:
. get the application in ASAP and leave your planned departure date for as late as you can - Air Asia having great cheap one way fares ex Stansted in UK via Malaysia.
And so in December say and again in January or February, a week or so ahead of flight time you could attempt checking on where the application is at for you may have heard from a CO by then and at earliest time you say you were thinking of using a tourist visa or a WHV to leave earlier and you may get a feel for how long it will be and so you can leave it until later to get the WHV or tourist visa, even a WHV only being a few days or a week at outside when applied for online.
. The other thing you might want to consider is January/february is not such a bad time to do some Asia exploring and it's cheap, so that may be an option to give some extra time for the partner visa to be processed.
You'll still be outside of Australia for it to be granted and if the chain is being dragged, he can always still apply for a WHV before you leave from somewhere in Asia.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Temporary Residency via Defacto in 4 months Shim Visas and immigration 1 07-01-2011 02:31 PM
Skilled Independant Visa - working for 12 months in last 24 months gymbum Visas and immigration 1 05-31-2011 07:59 PM
12 months out of 24 months work experience kramerpuddy Visas and immigration 1 03-31-2011 04:56 AM
Help DF Visa 5-10 months gmo Visas and immigration 4 01-28-2011 03:06 AM
6 months for defacto visa hnsally Visas and immigration 2 07-08-2010 10:25 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.