Commercial Helicopter Pilot

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Commercial Helicopter Pilot

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

Unhappy Commercial Helicopter Pilot

Hi All,

I have been looking into coming over to Australia for the past few years now to fulfill my dream of becoming a Commercial Helicopter Pilot. I have found what looks to be an excellent CRICOS registered course in Australia.

Back when i first was interested in coming over from England, and was researching all costs, schools etc, i had an assessment completed by a migration agent to see if gaining my CPL (H) would be a skilled enough position for Permanent Migration, to which they said, with a job offer would be.

I have worked for a Cattle Station owner in regional Australia, for the past 2 years, saving hard for my course, and they are willing to sponsor me as a pilot. However just before i was going to send my deposit to the course providers and so financially dedicate myself to the course, i decided to have a final assessment, in case of any Immigration law changes.

Unfortunatly for me as the course only gains me a Certificate IV in Aviation, the migration agent has now informed me that, the CPL (H) is not skilled enough for permanent migration under the RSMS.

Just wondering if anyone can help, if this is accurate, as don't want to give up the dream just yet!


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2010, 05:38 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
I'm not an agent but I do not know that the agent has bothered to give you the drum on all options you could look at.

I was going to say they're probably referring to you applying for an RSMS without having held a qualifying visa and for that employee eligibility did from memory possibly have some higher qualifications requirements and I also thought there used to also be a three years of experience requirement.
Interestingly, in having a look @ Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857) it seems they have dropped any experience requirement though I may have confused myself with an ENS and not having a qualifying visa but as for qualification, it says:
•have the relevant qualifications for the nominated position, which is at least an Australian equivalent trade, diploma or higher qualification
From what I have read, I think trades generally fit into the AQF @ Level #3 Certification and so if the Heli CPL will give you a Level #4 you should not have a problem.
Trying to confirm that via the AQF people I do wish you the best of luck for just reading their handbook it is the greatest load of non specificness you could ever not want to ask for - AQF > About the AQF > AQF Qualifications

Seeing as Pilot is on the ENSOL - - end of P9., there should not be a problem I would think.
You could do a couple of things and check with a local TAFE college or other Registered Training Organisation and just confirm that trades people are usually a Level #3 and then with your CRICOS provider to confirm it is the AQF #4 that the CPL course is rated at and then you may attempt to get confirmation from Immi via an email quoting specifically the RSMS requirement and seeking confirmation that a CPL would be considered as at least a trade qualification.

Another option would be if it can be managed [and say for instance you are on a 457 visa now] would be to see if you can do a CPL course somewhere in split blocks of time while you maintained the 457 and employment so you would have a qualifying visa and then you should even be eligible for an ENS and therefore have less restriction on ongoing immediate employment.
Pilots licence is also on the 457 list
ComLaw Legislative Instruments - Attachment - Specification of Occupations (IMMI 10/032)
Even if you are not on a 457 now or cannot stay on it while doing training, the Cattle Station should be able to sponsor you on a new 457 and then from there you could apply for either the ENS or RSMS.

You can check out the route from 457 to ENS/RSMS and conditions for all via Visa Options - Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

Another option you may want to consider that could have a possibility of saving you a few bob is to see whether there are any overseas locations for doing the training, Asia for instance as long as overseas training is accepted by Australian authorities.

Hope it works out well for you and let us know what you find out from here on.

Last edited by Wanderer; 11-27-2010 at 01:17 AM.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

Hi Wanderer,

Thanks for your response, i put some of your points to the migration agent, their response was basically no Diploma no RSMS! With relation to the 457 visa, my employers unfortunatly don't meet the training benchmarks.

So with this in mind, i am going to enroll on a course that would gain me an Australian Diploma, so as to be sure as not to be underskilled! However was wondering if the position i had to be employed for the RSMS had to be on any list, have a minimum salary, or had to be considered a skilled position, as upon gaining my Diploma would look to be employed as a 'Stockman'.

Thanks for any help you can give,


Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
I would at least get a second opinion from another agent before you veer too far off your intended course.
Don't know if it'll complicate things generally but what visa have you been employed on for two years as if it has been two WHVs, did you get a waiver from the six months with one employer?
I'll send you an agent details that ought to be able to give a good assessment and some may give you an initial insight into at least the diploma issue without a fee.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Please update your flag here .

Thanks very much for that Wanderer! i will have a go with this migration agent

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
commercial cook 886 visa processing time??? crissantein Visas and immigration 1 08-16-2011 09:36 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.