Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information

Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information (
-   Visas and immigration (
-   -   Centerlink Payments and Sponcering (

Jesswyn 11-26-2010 05:33 AM

Centerlink Payments and Sponcering
Hey there,

I'm planning to be my husbands sponcer and have a couple of questions.

I used to be on centerlink payments and went off them about 2 years ago as i was traveling to canada and comeing back and forth from aus to can. We came back to australia and have been back for 6 months. I didnt go back onto my payments because i knew i would be becoming his sponcer in 6 months and thought it might look bad if i was recieveing government benefits. I managed to get a job working at my grandfathers company 2 days a week getting $259 for those 2 days. I am now being told by people that i should go on centerlink benefits so it looks like i get more income since i might be refused as the sponcer, but i also feel they might look down on the fact that im leeching the government.

I would greatly apreciate any advice anyone could give me.

aussiegirl 11-26-2010 05:59 AM

Hi there,

There has been a lot of conern over this issue. DIAC looks at a range of things when looking at whether the applicant will be a burden on the social security system, one of them being the sponsor's income. If you've received full benefits of any government allowance or payment for an extended period, then you would probably be asked for an AoS. However, you have only gotten part payments and have another source of income, so I don't think you need to worry too much. They will also consider the applicant's past educational and work history and level of English to determine whether an AoS in needed.

All you can do is get the application together and hand it. Then it's up to the department to tell you if and when they need an AoS. And, if it turns out you do need an AoS, it's by no means considered a red mark on you as a sponsor and it won't affect the validity of the application simply because it was asked for.

Marcantony 11-26-2010 06:18 AM

It would also help if you have someone else like a parent or sibling willing to write a declaration that they are willing to assist financially should the need arise. You can include this with form 80.
Also download and read the sponsor's handbook, it tells you a lot that I didnt find on the website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.