How can i work in australia permanently?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

How can i work in australia permanently?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

How can i work in australia permanently?

Myself and my Partner would like to migrate to australia on a permanent basis.

We are both 25 and have degrees, however i do not work in a skilled migration area however my degree is relevant to the some of the skilled migration jobs.

I was wondering if it would be best if i just went to australia on a 12 month working visa and just found a good job which i liked and hoped that they would then sponsor me to stay out there!

Or should i just apply for the skilled migration visa using my degree as experience and just used my unrelated current job as my work experience. The only problem is it is alot of money to spend and then get turned down.

I just dont know what to do but we are pretty desperate to go to australia and work/live there permanently.

I am also looking at going to study a 1 year teaching qualification in australia so that i can become a teacher and hopefully stay out there.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
The ways to permanent residency via a skilled visa are as it would seem you have determined the direct PR application or alternately via employer sponsorship, most employers looking at a temporary residency sponsorship first that could lead to PR sponsorship.
Getting employer sponsorship from abroad is not the easiest so if you are from a country to be eligible for a WHV [ if that is what you mean by 12 months working visa ] , that is a good move and by initially considering some regional seasonal work you could apply for a second year to give yourself more time to find work in your qualified field or a sponsor.
You also mention you and your partner, both with degrees, so if your partner has a qualification and experience for a SOL occupation as a couple you only need one of you to be eligible for a PR visa if you have evidence of a relationship of at least six months.
If you both can use the WHV approach and one of you finds an employer sponsor, the same deal can apply with the other being a secondary applicant and having full work rights.
As for teaching, once you are established with PR you could certainly look at teacher training and the more experience you have the better that can be.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
pip pip is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Hi there, I'm currently studying to be a secondary teacher at Murdoch University, Perth, Australia. I thought I'd just let you know how I went about it to see if it could help you at all.

Firstly I'll just say going down the student visa route is very expensive Approx $9000 a semester! In order for your Aus education to give you the extra points you need to complete a 2 yr course, as such the DipEd won't really help too much unfortunately.

I originally wanted to do this course however after speaking with an immigration specialist was advised to do two years study. My course is a specialist international graduate 2 yr course which will actually give me a BEd and the extra study points.

You could apply for PR straight off but you'd need to have the relevant work experience, which you can get round with 2 yrs Aus study.

I'd really recommend that you talk with an immigration advisor, some will give free over the phone advice and also contact some education agents such as Study Abroad.

Good luck with everything and if you want anymore info or have questions just let me know.

I hope you make it, it's an expensive an often risky process (there's no guarantee that you're course will remain on the SOL!) but it is totally worth it. Living in Perth, WA is amazing, it has gorgeous weather and awesome lifestyle opportunities, go to the beach on an afternoon after class!

So good luck with everything,


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
want to work in australia halima Visas and immigration 3 03-16-2014 03:27 PM
Can nursing student stay in Australia permanently? Ado Visas and immigration 1 10-08-2011 03:39 AM
Work in australia odday Jobs and work 3 09-23-2011 01:03 PM
Can I stay oversea permanently after my wife grant her 820 visa already23006 Visas and immigration 3 01-20-2011 03:13 AM
Will it work in Australia? JSAston General chit-chat and news 1 09-03-2009 05:21 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.