Just got married. Seeking a PR for my wife, currently on 457 sponsored business visa

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Just got married. Seeking a PR for my wife, currently on 457 sponsored business visa

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Please update your flag here .

Just got married. Seeking a PR for my wife, currently on 457 sponsored business visa

Hi...I'm after some advice/direction, I'll try to be as concise as can be

I'm an Australian citizen, I have just married an English citizen who's here on a sponsored business visa.
We have been living together for almost 2 years and have plenty of evidence to support this.
Basically, we're finding that the sponsored business visa is somewhat limiting for my wife, in terms of employment and remuneration options.
So the logical next step for us is to apply for a permanent residency.

Not sure where to start though, or what in particular to apply for....
She has already changed her identification etc to reflect her new surname, we've got joint bank accounts, all of our finances are shared...we don't believe there would/should be any problems what so ever in proving our relationship....we just don't know what to do next to apply for a PR.

Can we simply apply for a PR?
Do we first need to fill in forms to notify the Government of our change in circumstances?
Really just need a push in the right direction......there's so many forms, I just want to make this as painless and as swift as possible for us.

I've done a bit of looking around and I think the Onshore Partner 820/801 is the correct visa to apply for?

What about her British passport, does she need to change that before or after the visa application, or is that not even part of the equation?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by virtualmachine; 01-04-2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Added more information.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 58
Users Flag! From australia

8 likes received
1 likes given
The British passport shouldn't be any kind of issue, unless things have changed that I don't know about.

Get some official documents on applying for PR, they will inform you of all the hoops you need to jump through. It is a bit of work, and somewhat stressful but it sounds like you have sufficient documentation/proof.

I don't think you want an offshore application if your wife is in Australia, but could be wrong. Basically, you want a PR visa on spousal grounds. In the meantime, you may be able to get her work restrictions lifted by make a written statement to immigration that they are causing "financial hardship" - only if this is a true statement, of course.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Please update your flag here .

Thanks for your response

Onshore application is what we'll be doing, as she's already here, living with me.
I'm currently reading thropugh the mountain of paper work, but I'm being enlightened, so getting there

At this stage, I'm unclear on whether a Permanent Residency application is the same as a Partner (temporary and permanent) - Onshore (subclasses 820 and 801) visa.

Are they one and the same?

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 895
Users Flag! From australia

88 likes received
1 likes given
Hi there,

The spouse visas are a two-step process. First, your wife will apply for the temporary spouse visa. You need to submit the application forms and all the evidence, medicals, police checks etc and pay the applicaton fee. This fee covers the first step and the second step, which is consideration for a permanent visa.

The second step comes 2 years after the innitial submission date. You still have to provide more evidence to show you have remained comitted to eachother, but may not have to do medicals, depending on when the last medicals were done.

So, one application fee, two step process.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 58
Users Flag! From australia

8 likes received
1 likes given
Originally Posted by virtualmachine View Post
Thanks for your response

...Onshore application is what we'll be doing, as she's already here, living with me.
Sorry, I misread that as offshore for some reason.

It sounds like it has changed a little since my experience with it all, so I'll defer to aussiegirl : )

I will say, though, to submit absolutely as much documentation as possible: photographs, evidence of travel together, you can even get friends to write stat decs for you - if you have friends who are teachers, doctors etc it all helps. IMHO.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
If you're already reading the Immi paperwork, that's heading in the right direction, all the Immi info @ Partner Visa: Onshore Temporary and Permanent (Subclasses 820 and 801) pretty straightforward with a straightforward case and it sounds as though hers ought to be.
Use Booklet #1 and the Checklist provided in the applying section, read all the links and it'll not be a big deal but just take some time and cost close to $3000.
I think you'll find that with current longer processing times it's a case of making a booking for a medical but doing it when requested and your wife could already organise her UK police check though if she has not been back since getting one for the 457 and does not intend to until the partner visa is granted it should be OK.

As for her passport, she is still a British citizen until she is eligible for Australian citizenship and that'll be some years down the track, some credit I think for residency while on a temporary residency visa but in total, three years within last four ot a total of three needed and then she can apply for citizenship and an Aussie passport.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sponsored PR - 886- Applying for Reassessment under 261111 ICT BUSINESS ANALYST. victorpradeep Visas and immigration 0 07-17-2011 03:59 AM
Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)??? brill Visas and immigration 11 05-27-2011 09:29 PM
Company sponsored visa (ENS 856) - small business? lilimary Visas and immigration 1 04-08-2011 01:31 PM
Currently sponsored, want to start a local business froggie Visas and immigration 5 02-28-2011 01:18 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.