Am I eligable for a visa? Parent to australian child

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Am I eligable for a visa? Parent to australian child

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Question Am I eligable for a visa? Parent to australian child

Hi all,

My ex-partner is Australian and we have separated last week after being together for 3 years. We were not married. Our beautiful daughter was born here in Australia 8 weeks ago. I am currently on a tourist visa ending in 4 months. We were going to get a de facto visa but that's not relevant any more.

My question is whether I am eligible for a visa on the basis of having a child with an Australian citizenship? I would like to stay here to be with my daughter and also support my ex-partner.

Thanks for any information that could help


Yeled Ahava

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
That's a rather tricky situation you'll have there Yeled and it'll be more difficult in being on a tourist visa which likely will have a No Further Stay condition on it.

Your daughter will have Australian citizenship through descent from her father, no doubt there and there are parent visas but they are more for elderly parents as you can see here - Parent Visa Options - Family Members - Migrants - Visas & Immigration and not really applicable.

There are also carer visas but for an Australian citizen who has a medical condition.
Other Family Visa Options - Family Members - Migrants - Visas & Immigration

I would hope that there is a visa that you can apply for, even if it means a trip outside of the country first and I do not think that the Australian government would want to either foce you to be separated or for a young Australian to have to leave Australia so as she is not separated from her mother.

I'll see if there's someone I can put you in touch with.

Closed Thread

parent visa baby child partner

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parent visa sub 103 mariaflig Visas and immigration 7 05-28-2014 04:02 AM
What visa to get parent to Australia amyoz Visas and immigration 1 10-31-2011 12:04 AM
Parent visa for Mum Sun Visas and immigration 3 06-24-2010 01:39 PM
parent visa tillybilly Visas and immigration 2 01-08-2010 10:59 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.