12 month tourist visa

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

12 month tourist visa

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15
Please update your flag here .

1 likes given
12 month tourist visa

My husband and I are teachers and as explained on previous threads we have been looking at ENS - sponsorship by private schools. However it is difficult to future employers to commit to sponsoring us for the required 3 year period without getting to know us properly first. We have decided that it might be worth going out to Australia for a 12 month 'holiday' with our 2 children to see friends and volunteer at a local school which we now have contact with. This will ennable the governing body to establish whether they would like to go down the route of employment under ENS the following year. We have enough money to support ourselves but this will use up savings so can anyone tell me if we are entitled to accept help or funding for accommodation/food from the school we volunteer at? Also, as we will not be registered as teachers in WA, would we be able to teach or just help out?? The school is a private school and we would also like to send our children there - anyway we could get financial support for fees?

Thanks for your help!

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
There is provision for doing voluntary work on a tourism visa, mentioned under special heading on Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)
I do not think it would be an issue if you were not actually part of some organised scheme as then obviously your intent is to be a tourist in the first place.
You may want to check the health requirements too for whereas with a tourist visa a medical examination is not normally required unless you were from a high risk country, that may be different if there is an intent to be in classrooms.

I think however re the clauses of not doing work that would otherwise be paid does create some possible problems for that may mean you would just able to be present in a purely volunteer function helping out and not really teaching or perhaps you can give a teacher a break they would not otherwise have received and I suppose it'll be up to the school just how liberal they want to be for I doubt that an immigration inspector is going to come knocking and hopefully in a private school there'll not be too strong a unionistic trait.
You may even find that the school may be happy for you to give lessons on international issues or travel, something that they would not otherwise have had a teacher doing.

What work you do as regards whether you need to be registered or not is going to be up to the school I imagine and you may still find you'll need a police clearance re working with minors, something that is an individual state responsibility but I suspect all states would have it in place.
If you are in touch with the school they are matters they ought to be able to advise.

Away from the school environment, there is also www.wwoof.com.au which you may be able to make use of.
You may also find that a Rotary, Lions or other services club could be interested in getting a talk from either of you, perhaps even a local newspaper article to help build the profile and be seen as of value to be sponsored and get involved in the local community, sporting clubs and services units where possible and no doubt it'll all help.

And if you want to do a cheap interstate trip, you might find a convenient listing on http://www.standbyrelocs.com/ , you having free accommodation and you find plenty of free places you can pull up at.

Even if one of you do find a school that is prepared to sponsor one of you [ and only one person needs to be the primary applicant and the other and rest of family are secondary applicants but the other parent will still have work rights ] , they may still want to look at the temporary residency sponsorship initially but at least that would be a start however before you get to that step, you'll need to have your qualifications assessed and then get registered.

And you may find that the tourist visas you're issued with [ individual ones ] will have No Further Stay conditions on them and so if that is the case, it would mean a trip to outside of Australia to make a sponsorship application and a TR processing time could be a couple of months, a PR ENS, possibly six months and police checks can take a fair while, seven weeks in the UK I believe and 10 -12 weeks for the FBI.

It's an unusual approach you are contemplating but with the right school and getting organised, knowing what you're up for, no reason why you cannot get something going.
Good luck with it and feel free to ask more.

Last edited by Wanderer; 01-23-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clarification on 12 month tourist visa wimo Visas and immigration 12 07-24-2010 02:51 AM
6 Month Tourist 676 - work and finances 90210_Dawn Visas and immigration 4 07-13-2010 03:59 AM
12 month 676 tourist visa swiftxx1 Visas and immigration 2 05-19-2010 10:20 AM
Applying for a defacto visa on a 3 month tourist visa maggiemay Visas and immigration 6 04-15-2010 12:47 AM
12 month requirement for de facto visa kezza1 Visas and immigration 1 09-19-2009 10:28 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.