From tourist to Defacto - HELP!

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

From tourist to Defacto - HELP!

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 7
Please update your flag here .

From tourist to Defacto - HELP!

Hello to all!
My boyfriend and I met in London 3 years ago and lived together for 1 and a half years there. We decided to move to Australia last February and we applied for a defacto visa for me on 1st October 2010 in London. When we lodged our application the lady at the counter told us we could enter Australia with my existing tourist visa and wait for the de facto visa to be ready and electronically attached to my passport.
Therefore we entered Australia on 11th December 2010 with my tourist visa that allows me to stay in the country for a period of 3 months. Since then we have been living in Perth.
Since lodging our application we have only received two emails from immi advising us that our case is being looked at and that visa processing times are aproximately 5 months.
My problem is that my tourist visa ends on 10th March and if my defacto visa is not ready by then i will have to leave the country indefinitely.
Is there any way i can extend my tourist visa to allow for the time the defacto visa takes to be ready? is there a government body in Western Australia that deals with bridging visas? and if so where is it? Is there anybody in a similar situation?
Many thanks for reading this and hope to hear your advise...


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Immi have offices in all states including WA and so yes there'll be an office in the CBD of Perth.
If your tourist visa has the No Further Stay condition on it, there maybe not much you can do about it other than break a leg for waivers only usually get granted for stuff like that.

However, maybe in a spate of kindness they may be able to offer a solution in a weird kind of a way but do be careful and do attempt to get it sorted while in the offices.
I say that based on some posts just this last week re a person who has overstayed an initial by five years, got married and is now hoping to have an onshore partner application granted.
She was given a Bridging visa and doing that stops a person from being an illegal alien and may be something of a formality but it is the weirdest thing I have ever heard of Immi doing as I thought they may have been more inclined to deport her or put her into detention and throw the key away

So first thing you ought to do if check if there is a NFS and if not you can apply for a further visitor visa.
If the NFS is there, and bearing in mind all the mind boggling stuff thay have about Bridging Visas C, D & E @ you could head into the offices and explain how you know you will have to leave when the visa is ready for granting because of it being an offshore visa but ask if there is anything that can actually be done, even if it means you let the visitor visa expire and they then issue you with a Bridging Visa - strange things do happen at times.
Make sure you get the names of people who advise you of that and better still if they can give you some sort of a written reference.

But failing something definite arranged, if you need to take a trip to somewhere like Bali or further north and check Welcome to Now everyone can fly for cheap flights from Perth to KL or perhaps even Welcome To Tiger Airways are doing the Perth to Singapore route.
And you can either stay somewhere cheap in asia, bungalow on a beach kind of thing for $5- $10/d plus living costs the same until the partner visa is granted or you see about an eVisa which could be in the form of an ETA or an ETA itself, needing to see a travel agent and come back with either and they'll have no NFS condition.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 7
Please update your flag here .

Dear Wanderer

Thank you sooo much for your reply!!! I went to check my passport and it turns out nowhere it says NO FURTHER STAY... so with this information I called immi australia (phone number 131 881) and they have advised me that I can extend my tourist visa using form 601 for a fee of AU$250.
For this type of visa I will be able to apply by post or in person and either way it takes about two weeks to be processed.
So that's a massive relief and now I can go on an enjoy my time in Australia!

thanks again for taking the time to give me all that valuable information!!

kindest regards!!!!!!


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
457 to tourist visa to defacto!!! 99bottlesofbeer Visas and immigration 3 02-13-2013 05:24 AM
Move from 676 Tourist to defacto on 457 sponsorship?Help please macphaid Visas and immigration 2 10-29-2012 01:01 PM
tourist visa hannybunch Visas and immigration 1 01-19-2011 01:14 PM
Tourist visa at the end of a WHV? coyle1983 Visas and immigration 5 10-28-2010 05:58 AM
Applying for a defacto visa on a 3 month tourist visa maggiemay Visas and immigration 6 04-15-2010 12:47 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.