Which visa??? Any other vehicle painters out there?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Which visa??? Any other vehicle painters out there?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Which visa??? Any other vehicle painters out there?

Hi all,
My wife and i and our two children would like to set up home in australia.

I have been in touch with a migration agent as we werent sure which visa was right for us. My job as vehicle painter is on the skilled occupation list and I have been in the industry for 16 years, I am being told that I need to pay $2500 to do a video assessment to prove my job? In the UK there is no real qualification for paint spraying as it is all mainly in house unless you do an apprecticship from school now (I am 32!). We are also being told that overall it will cost us $9500 for a permanent residency visa before we go and this could take 2 years or more....
Can anyone else shed any light on my situation or advise??? Could we arrange a visa ourselves or is it safer to go with these agents?

Many thanks


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Not all agents may offer a great service and there are a few checks you can do yourself first and then you'll find the information on the Immi web site quite explicit and straightforward though there are a number of changes due mid this year that could have an effect on meeting eligibility.
Have a look information via Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration for starters, in particular following the links of Visa Options / Outside Australia and 175 or 176 for the eligibility section where you will find a table to do a self assessment, each heading a link to additional information.
If you are short of 120 points for a fully independent 175, you could consider seeing which states may do sponsorship for Spray Painting via looking at individual state occupational lists you'll find via the state sites under 176 eligibility and a 176 SMP application only needs 100 points and will also give a higher processing priority.

You can find out more about priorities via jeadings on the What's New page linked from top of page link I've given.

If it looks like you will meet eligibility, the very first step before an application oughtto be made is to get a Trade Assessment and I've not heard of doing a video and wonder just how assessible that would be.
You'll be best to find out what will be required direct from the Assessing Authority - Trades Recognition Australia - Home and various trades examiners do regular trips to different countries for assessments and it will just depend on how they go about it, and I'd not mind betting that for the very practical assessment that Spray Painting would be, they may either have a workshop environment organised or may even go to the employment location of those wanting to be assessed.
I think you will find that there is provision within the TRA assessing for those with many years of experience rather than an apprenticesdhip to be considered, but have a look at their site and you should be able to contact them re details.
That process by itself could take all of six months or more, depending on frequency of examiner trips.
On having success with that, it is on with the actual visa application and again have a look at the applying section of a 175 or 176 and you'll find a Checklist and the documentation/steps required clearly laid out.

So it is possible to avoid the expense of using an agent and have control of your application yourself.
So have a read and feel free to ask further questions.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Vehicle Mechanic, just wondering? smithy1970 Visas and immigration 2 07-18-2010 10:23 PM
Vehicle choice ianrobbo Travel questions 1 07-15-2010 05:21 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.