Difficult Online Relationship Situation -- HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!!

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Difficult Online Relationship Situation -- HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!!

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Lightbulb Difficult Online Relationship Situation -- HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!!

Early 2009 i met my bf over the internet via joint convo new year celebration for students. I met him via his friends as i help them with English. He is currently a university studying electircal engineering in Japan. His country of origin is Laos. He gained a scholarship to study aboard in Japan since 2006. Our relationship has ups and down but we were able to get through it as stronger individuals and our love for each other grew. He is due to completion of his Bachelor next year march - meaning he has to go back to Laos. I don't want him to go back there due to past events which happened to his brothers and the murder of his father. (he haven't committed any crimes) His family and I fear him going back and they want him to go to USA but he wants to come and stay in Australia with me. We want to share a life together. I don't want him to go back to Laos because of the poverty, loss of communication and knowing that he is unlikely to make enough money to come visit me if he were to go back to that country. Could we make use of the protection visa?

As typical asians - my parents won't let me touch the perspective marirage visa nor spouse visa if we aren't married (traditionally) yet due to securitiy reasons. I am not allowed to leave Australia to visit him or do anything they dislike (due to reputation) or else they would disapprove us immediately. He wants to come but his side doesn't want him in Australia as he got no relatives so they won't support him financially(he does casual work though but wouldn't earn much due to him being an international student). We wanted to be together and believe it it all comes to end and they won't support us we would have to do it ourselves.

I don't want him to go back and forth from country to country as we don't have much time left also thinking money wise as students we won't be making heaps at the moment. I have been doing some research lately and I realised some part of the application forms required the co-operations of both sides to fill out too. What are we to do?

I heard some they came to Australia on a tourist visa, got married legally and just hire an immigration lawyer to do their paperworks to stay permenantly in australia...but this doesn't sound too confident. I don't want to waste money unnecessarily and i want the most efficient method using less time as possible.

Just some information about me: i am a university student working permanent part-time. I am an Australian citizen. Any suggestions? what support could we get? and which visa would be the most effective?

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 895
Users Flag! From australia

88 likes received
1 likes given
Hi there,

There are only a few options for you two to see eachother at this point. First, he could try to get a tourist visa to see you, but of course this is only temporary and he would have to go back to Japan eventually.

Secondly, and probably a more viable option, is for him to apply for a skilled visa to allow him to work legally in Australia. There are a number of skilled visas available, and of course he would have to meet criteria. What is his major? If he has a major related to one of the high demand jobs that DIAC has nominated, he may have a better chance.

I don't recommend a PMV or getting married just for the sake of bringing him to Australia. I think you two have to seriously think about the future of the relationship and how it can go on without you two ever seeing eachother in person. The disaproval of your families is also a big hurdle that you have to consider deeply.

Even if he applied for a humanitarian visa, it would possibly not be granted since he has been living in Japan for some time and has not even tried to get asylum there (Or has he?) From a DIAC perspective, this wouldn't make sense.

As for migration agents, they only act as middle people between you and the DIAC. They recommend documents and evidence that you have which can be useful to apply, present your case in a clear way and handle any other issues for you. So, you still have to prepare documents for the agent, and you have to pay a large amount of money for their services - over $5000 is notuncommon.

Last edited by aussiegirl; 02-10-2011 at 06:39 AM.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
As aussiegirl indicates, there is no easy fix for his situation and that is not so surprising as visa regulations are more about providing a framework for all sorts of applications to be made rather than there to be tailored to suit individual cases.

I doubt that Laos is considered to be so dangerous these days, it having been on the asian tourist trail for many years and there is quite a bit of development occurring there re hydro electric projects so his electrical engineering studies could see him land a reasonable job there.
He needs to do something like that before considering skilled visas for a mandatory requirement is 12 months of experience in his skilled occupation.
As for him going to the USA, unless there is some way his family can get him in, he may find that it will not be so easy to immigrate there either.

Perhaps after you finish at University yourself, if you are still in contact, you may be in a position to travel yourself for tourist visas for some asian nationals are not always so easy for them to get.
If you do that, you'll be in a much better position to see where life is to take you and able to decide more for yourself rather than have the family more in control.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference b/t NSW 'Relationship Registration' and 'Relationship Certificate'? to OZ! Visas and immigration 11 04-18-2012 02:45 AM
how difficult is it to switch visas? Craneguy Visas and immigration 2 05-26-2011 07:48 AM
Change of Relationship Situation circle Visas and immigration 1 04-12-2011 02:45 AM
Job situation valsecchi.mrc Jobs and work 1 11-14-2010 10:22 AM
De facto visa - difficult situation american Visas and immigration 6 10-02-2010 08:09 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.