Partner visa- Urgent travel required

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Partner visa- Urgent travel required

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Partner visa- Urgent travel required

Hi All, I am an Australian citizen ,married to my partner and we are currently living in the USA. She is a Turkish citizen,and we are expecting a baby soon. The problem is, we need to travel to Australia as soon as possible as we had dramatic changes in our financial circumstances. Medical bills etc..Plus she wont be able to work now and I can not work in the USA as I dont have the work permit. I understand that the processing times can be up to 6 months which will be really struggle for us and there is no way we can afford to live here more than 2 months. We have the application form ready for 90 percent of the documents required. My question is, is there a quicker visa option for my wife? I have a plane ticked booked for May 11 and hope to leave that day. Any advice will be most appreciated.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 895
Users Flag! From australia

88 likes received
1 likes given
Hi Hayden,

You could try applying offshore and giving compelling reasons, as you explained, as to why you should be considered for a quicker grant. But, DIAC doesn't do this very often, so you would likely have to delay your flight or cancel it.

You could go over with your wife on a tourist visa and lodge onshore, but her visa might have a "no further stay" condition on it making it impossible for her to lodge an onshore application.

Is there absolutley no way you could stick it out and lodge the visa offshore? Could you go to Turkey for a while and stay with her family?

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
This type of situation has been asked about so frequently lately, there are a number of issues that you need to be aware of and I put up a sticky thread covering the key points

There is really no simple answer for you and with your wife a Turkish citizen, even getting a visitor visa may be difficult and if successful it may have a No Further Stay condition on it.
Does your wife have family or friends in the US that she could stay with while you get back to Australia for working?
She should at least get some medical advice re flying while pregnant and you also ought to see what the airline policy is but be prepared if you have also booked a ticket for her to see about a date change.

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Hi, thanks for the replies. Well, our baby is due any day now, we did not want to lodge the application during her pregnancy for the medical reasons (xrays not recommended during pregnancy) I have written a long statement with the application explaining why we need to go back to Australia soon. I understand our baby will automatically become an Australian citizen through decent, however I do not want to leave them behind regardless. She has relatives here, and in Turkey. In worst case scenario, we were considering her to go to Turkey while the visa is being processed, but doest she need to be in the USA during this time? thanks once again

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
In theory, your wife can be anywhere outside of Australia for an offshore visa to be lodged and processed and in some cases, an application will be sent to the country of where one is a citizen for processing so that may match with your wife going to Turkey.
You could ask about that at the US embassy/consulate.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forms required for Partner visa (who has a child- who is not moving to Aus) headinghome Visas and immigration 8 09-25-2012 07:24 AM
[URGENT HELP REQUIRED!] Subclass 820 Defacto Visa skawtt Visas and immigration 3 02-28-2011 10:36 PM
Australian Partner Visa Checklist of Evidence Required asc2011 Visas and immigration 2 02-21-2011 11:48 AM
Help Required Urgent... h4harry Visas and immigration 0 01-18-2011 04:54 AM
Partner Visa - interview and level of English required cosbo Visas and immigration 1 01-19-2010 06:06 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.