457 - transfer from secondary to primary holder!

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

457 - transfer from secondary to primary holder!


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

457 - transfer from secondary to primary holder!

In a bit of a dilemma here, would appreciate any feedback!

My partner had been added onto my 457 visa as a secondary applicant, from her original holiday working visa, whilst we were working out in Australia. On my permanent return to the UK last month however, we duly took note that she would only have 28 days remaining from my termination of contract to get hold of a new visa (though my 457 would technically not expire till Aug 2013).

Her workplace have agreed to sponsor her and as far as we are aware, have submitted her application for primary 457 visa. She is of the understanding that as long as an application has been submitted, she is free to continue to work in Australia as no 'bridging visa' is required to go from one 457 visa to another. She has not however received any paperwork / email from the immigration office.

The dilemma is that there has been a very recent family bereavement for which she needs to urgently come home to the UK for a week or two. Unsure of her exact visa situation, she is wary to leave Australia and have to return without her 457 being formally granted.

Unfortunately, there are no emergency or out of hours immigration numbers to contact to clarify the situation (late Fri night / early Saturday morning).

Technically, my 457 for which she was a secondary applicant has not yet been cancelled, nor have my work place contacted immigration as I found out whilst trying to apply for transfer of my super. However, I had already emailed immigration to cancel this last week, and with the approx three week delay, she would not want to run the risk of being refused entry!

1) Is there any emergency number she could contact to clarify her situation over the weekend as she needs to fly out asap?

2) If a new 457 has been applied for, as for example, she is clearly able to currently work there, would she be able to leave Australia and return before the formal granting of her 457 as a primary holder?

3) Transferring from a secondary to primary applicant on a 457, presumably that is the granting of a completely new 457 .. is she on a bridging visa of sorts? Or is one not required?!

Unfortunate that all this had to happen on a weekend! Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!


Last edited by Reza; 03-11-2011 at 05:20 PM.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
There're a few assumptions you have made which may cause her some problems.
1. Your 457, irrespective of its nominated termination date will be invalid as soon as you are not employed by a sponsor, you then having nominally 28 days to find a new sponsor, apply for a different visa or leave Australia.

2. Your partner was in the same boat and effectively is now in Australia without a visa.
Her going from one 457 to another without a bridging visa is not applicable as that is just the situation for the primary applicant.

So with the unfortunate situation in the UK, she also has a real dilemma on her hands re having no current visa and working illegally.
You can check the Contact list on the Immi site but I am unaware of an after hours number for visa enquiries whilst in Australia and I doubt if there was that it would handle such matters other than to advise her of the need to see Immi first thing Monday morning.

That is what she should do as well as clarifying with the potential sponsor exactly what they have done.

Immi may be able to issue a bridging visa to allow her new application to take place but if it is not a Bridging Visa A she will not be able to apply for the Bridging Visa B which allows travel but her best situation could be to get her 457 application in and plan on spending some extra time in the UK awaiting the new 457 grant.

Hopefully her new application will not be affected by her current situation and the best will be made of that with not delaying her presenting herself to the nearest Immi office to clarify the mess.





Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will my good credit score in the USA transfer to OZ? Phazuka General chit-chat and news 0 09-23-2011 07:53 AM
Company transfer from USA to AUS office Phazuka Jobs and work 1 06-14-2011 10:53 PM
Can primary applicant cancel visa of secondary? viraylab Visas and immigration 1 02-21-2011 07:52 PM
WA Immigration Settlement Funds Transfer-176 Salim Daghar Visas and immigration 6 01-21-2011 12:31 AM
457 transfer/hiatus/re-apply ryguydub Visas and immigration 1 07-07-2010 04:34 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com