Migration advice

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Migration advice

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Migration advice


This place seems to provide people with good advice and I'm hoping to be able to get some help here.

I'm trying to find out which visa my girlfriend should apply for and the path we should take.
She is currently working overseas but would like to migrate here. We were living together in Australia while she studied here, but she has gone back to work and we've been visiting each other on and off for the past year.

She studied Electrical Engineering which is on the SOL and and been working in that field for the past year.

Can she apply for an onshore PR application after coming to Aus on a visa? If so which visa would allow her? e.g. visitors visa or working visa? I would be helping her apply and we'd live together when she gets here.

We have considered the option for the partner fiancé application but 9 months is too short to get married and the result is only a TR.

She is a Malaysian citizen with a Singaporean PR if that helps.

Also would you guys recommend that we consult a migration lawyer or such and any suggestions for one in Canberra?


Last edited by soong; 03-27-2011 at 11:29 AM.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
As far as an independent skilled visa goes it is too late for her to apply onshore for that needs to be done within six months of her finishing her studies here.
There are a few other visas that she may want to consider if she is looking for an interim step and in order of simplicity and speed, they are probably:
. The W & H visa - Visa Options - Working Holiday - Visas & Immigration
[ there're restrictions on further skilled visas being applied for ]
. Employer Sponsored visa and engineers are often in demand and so if you can help her find an employer, that may be a goer, most companies sponsoring initially on TR but PR following is a possibility.
. the 476 graduate visa and like all offshore skilled visas, she could apply for them while in Australia but she would need to take a trip abroad to have an offshore visa granted.
Other than the independent skilled visa [ if she meets eligibility ], all visas usually have a TR step towards PR.

The simplest step might be for her to apply for the W & H visa and then once she is settled in with you for a few months, if you are in the ACT, you can apply for a relationship registration and that will then mean you do not need the full 12 months residing together for her to apply for a partner visa and again it would be TR and with PR to follow if you stay together, no need to commit to marriage.
She could in the interim apply for an offshore independent skilled visa if she wanted to but that would be a belt and braces approach, doubling up.

If you have a look at the relevant visas info on the Immi site, you'll see that the eligibility and applying information is quite clear under relevant sections, with a Checklist and reference Booklets online too, so ought to be easy enough for an engineer to follow without the need for paying out several thousand $$$$ to a migration agent and you still get to do all the collecting of documents and evidence yourself, the agent just basically filling in an application form for you and lodging it.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent Advice .....Please Advice imrancrest Visas and immigration 0 04-28-2011 04:18 PM
migration to Oz romacho New member introductions 2 02-20-2011 06:09 PM
Advice on skilled migration visa bhallas Visas and immigration 1 02-04-2011 12:28 PM
State Migration Plans/Relocating during Processing of Migration Application Hassan Warraich Visas and immigration 2 12-13-2010 01:34 AM
Help regarding migration manishpk2007 Visas and immigration 1 07-02-2010 06:18 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.