Need Advice on How to Increase Chances of Health Waiver be Approved

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Need Advice on How to Increase Chances of Health Waiver be Approved


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2014, 04:11 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
Users Flag! From philippines

Need Advice on How to Increase Chances of Health Waiver be Approved

Hi everyone!
I'm a mother of 2 kids (ages 6 & 4) and happily married to my husband who had kidney transplant for 10 years now. He's in good health eversince and been working full time in a private company here in the Philippines.

As parents, we want to give better future to our kids and one option is to migrate in a 1st world country. While we understand my husband's medical condition will be the biggest challenge (given are professions are both listed in the SOL/CSOL), we want to plan carefully the best approach on this big dream!

I was advised to apply first for Visas with provision for Health Waiver:
1. Temporary Working Visa 457 (work for 2 years)
2. and eventually apply for Subclass 186 or 187 via Temporary Residence Transition Stream

Supposed i have been granted with Visa 457, and i want to increase my chances of getting a Health Waiver and PR visa approved...
> Should the whole family stay with me in Australia from Day 1?
> Particular to my husband, would it help if he also gets to work with me too?

Apologies for the long message, i just want to know people's thoughts on my case. As you know, the cost of medication is so dear if my husband has to leave his company of 15 years and we have to shoulder for everything when we get there. But still..we are hopeful that things will turn in our favor.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this post.


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2014, 05:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 3,340
Users Flag! From australia

682 likes received
239 likes given
Hi . you have asked some wide ranging questions. If you apply for PR you and your family will be assessed against Public Interesting Criteria (PIC) 4005. All Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents have access to subsidized medical treatments and drugs. If you husbands ongoing treatments are like to cost the Australian Tax Payer more that A$20,000 over a five year period then the application would be refused.

If you apply for a temporary work visa (457) you and your family are assessed against PIC 4006A. If your employer will take responsibility for any medical costs involved with the condition then you may get a waiver.

If you work in Australia for at least 2 years and are then sponsored by your employer, then you and your family will be assessed against PIC 4007. This has to do with your value to Australia.

You are asking some very complex questions regarding whether you and your family will meet the health criteria. Without reviewing your whole case we are not able to give you a definitive answer. I suggest that you seek the advice of a MARA agent who would be able to examine your case thoroughly and advise accordingly.

Regards

__________________
Jeremy W Hooper BEng MSc Grad Dip App Finance Dip Australian Migration Law MMIA MMA, MM&EA
MARN 0107902

[email protected]

http://4australianvisas.com

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 2,067
Users Flag! From australia

654 likes received
197 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh2014 View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm a mother of 2 kids (ages 6 & 4) and happily married to my husband who had kidney transplant for 10 years now. He's in good health eversince and been working full time in a private company here in the Philippines.

As parents, we want to give better future to our kids and one option is to migrate in a 1st world country. While we understand my husband's medical condition will be the biggest challenge (given are professions are both listed in the SOL/CSOL), we want to plan carefully the best approach on this big dream!

I was advised to apply first for Visas with provision for Health Waiver:
1. Temporary Working Visa 457 (work for 2 years)
2. and eventually apply for Subclass 186 or 187 via Temporary Residence Transition Stream

Supposed i have been granted with Visa 457, and i want to increase my chances of getting a Health Waiver and PR visa approved...
> Should the whole family stay with me in Australia from Day 1?
> Particular to my husband, would it help if he also gets to work with me too?

Apologies for the long message, i just want to know people's thoughts on my case. As you know, the cost of mediis so dear if my husband has to leave his company of 15 years and we have to shoulder for everything when we get there. But still..we are hopeful that things will turn in our favor.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this post.
Hi
A medical waiver is not easy to get.
There are a number of migration agents who specialize in these medical exemption cases and if you read through some of the post you will see people have mentioned their experiences with various agents.
To avoid wasting time and money it may be worthwhile first to have your qualifications assessed for migration to Australia, what type of work do you do?
457 visas are sponsored by the employer and tend to be in the trades such as welding, cooks, butchers etc.
Independent Skilled visas require assessment of your academic records and work skills along with the relevant IELTS passes.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2014, 01:14 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
Users Flag! From philippines

Thank you Jeremy! My apologies for the confusion, i had actually consulted the health policy team through email and they suggested that i can try to apply for a Visa with provision for health waiver and that is the the Visa 457 and 186/187 via Temporary Transition Stream only.

I just want to know, supposed we've already been granted a Visa 457 and required to work there in Australia..which set-up will likely increase my chance to get a health waiver (assuming all other factors such as medication cost, current health condition, etc are considered and found to be acceptable):
1. i work alone and leave my family back first in my country
2. all the family members including my husband to stay in Aus and work

I hope someone with the same experience can share their insights.


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2014, 01:38 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
Users Flag! From philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
Hi
A medical waiver is not easy to get.
There are a number of migration agents who specialize in these medical exemption cases and if you read through some of the post you will see people have mentioned their experiences with various agents.
To avoid wasting time and money it may be worthwhile first to have your qualifications assessed for migration to Australia, what type of work do you do?
457 visas are sponsored by the employer and tend to be in the trades such as welding, cooks, butchers etc.
Independent Skilled visas require assessment of your academic records and work skills along with the relevant IELTS passes.
Thanks Aussiesteve!
I'm a pharmacist and a procurement manager for 10 years. While my husband works as a chemist for 15 years and also a licensed secondary school teacher.

Is it difficult to get employer sponsor or is there any site or job bank that i can apply?


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2014, 02:10 AM
CollegeGirl's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 9,033
Users Flag! From usa

4424 likes received
6268 likes given
Jeremy - They actually changed that several years ago. It's now $35,000 over a five-year period.

jfh2015 - Waivers are somewhat easier for temporary visas than for permanent ones. Still, IMO you'd be best off consulting a migration agent who specializes in medical issues. George Lombard and Peter Bollard are both MARA-registered agents who specialize in health issues (I worked with George myself to get my visa as I have health conditions) and either could help you.

__________________
Original Nationality: US
Visa #1: PMV (300) through Washington, D.C
Applied: April 2013.
Visa Granted: January 2014.
Visa #2: Subclass 820 (From PMV).
Applied: End of April 2014.
Visa Granted: Early July 2014.
Visa #3: 801 (PR)
Eligibility Date: End of April 2016 (Applied a month prior).
PR Granted: Early April 2017.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2014, 02:22 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 2,067
Users Flag! From australia

654 likes received
197 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh2014 View Post
Thanks Aussiesteve!
I'm a pharmacist and a procurement manager for 10 years. While my husband works as a chemist for 15 years and also a licensed secondary school teacher.

Is it difficult to get employer sponsor or is there any site or job bank that i can apply?
Hi Jfh
As professionals you will need to get your skills assessed. Go to this site and it will give you a guide and an indication which authority you need to contact.
http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/asri/asri-index.aspx
Unfortunately very few qualifications from the Philippines are directly equivalent to Australian qualifications but there are bridging courses available.
Also they may require an IELTS exam to test your English capabilities, If your lucky if you went to the right University in the Philippines it won't be needed :-)
Once you have you assessment you can then apply for sponsored visa.
Each state has different requirements but the more remote one like WA SA QLD and NT are your best bet.
You can do to skills assessment yourself without the cost of a migration agent.
However you will need an agent for the visa side of things.
Good luck.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2014, 02:25 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,235
Users Flag! From canada

1533 likes received
148 likes given
You will probably find it is difficult to find an employer sponsor, as many employers prefer to hire citizens/PR holders who are legally able to start work within a few weeks. But it's not impossible. The best approach would be to look at the major job sites such as Seek, as well as any industry associations that may list openings in your fields.

I expect you may find the harder issue is the health waiver. My employer has sponsored quite a few 457 applicants over the past several years, but I think we'd hesitate at agreeing to take responsibility for potentially high medical costs. It's something you may need to include in any discussions on a potential remuneration package.

__________________
186 visa - Temporary Residence Transition stream
Granted Dec 2013

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
Users Flag! From philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGirl View Post
Jeremy - They actually changed that several years ago. It's now $35,000 over a five-year period.

jfh2015 - Waivers are somewhat easier for temporary visas than for permanent ones. Still, IMO you'd be best off consulting a migration agent who specializes in medical issues. George Lombard and Peter Bollard are both MARA-registered agents who specialize in health issues (I worked with George myself to get my visa as I have health conditions) and either could help you.
Thank you College Girl. I will try to get in touch with the above mentioned migration agents then.
All the best! =)


  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
Users Flag! From philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie-may24 View Post
You will probably find it is difficult to find an employer sponsor, as many employers prefer to hire citizens/PR holders who are legally able to start work within a few weeks. But it's not impossible. The best approach would be to look at the major job sites such as Seek, as well as any industry associations that may list openings in your fields.

I expect you may find the harder issue is the health waiver. My employer has sponsored quite a few 457 applicants over the past several years, but I think we'd hesitate at agreeing to take responsibility for potentially high medical costs. It's something you may need to include in any discussions on a potential remuneration package.
Noted Maggie. Thank you for sharing your experience. To pursue this or not, is one thing we really have to discern as a family since it entails a lot of sacrifice and risk as well. But then, we are not losing hope... God is at our side. =)


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Waiver Lochlan Visas and immigration 24 07-30-2014 05:15 AM
I need health waiver advise jim3205 Issues and current events 3 03-17-2014 09:48 AM
PMV approved...chances of 820 being approved? rhodered Visas and immigration 5 08-19-2013 07:59 PM
Health Waiver Advice ozmikal Visas and immigration 10 08-06-2013 12:03 AM
Please help - What are the chances of me getting approved? kmvidler1 Visas and immigration 1 03-12-2011 12:59 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:33 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com