New to this and need help keeping partner in country

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

New to this and need help keeping partner in country

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Active Member
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 40
Please update your flag here .

3 likes received
New to this and need help keeping partner in country

i just don't know where to start and was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

I met my partner, a swedish guy on a 1 yr working visa for australia. I am a new zealand citizen but a permanent resident in australia.

he has been here 9 months so far, he has a job and we would very much like to stay together and not have him go back to sweden.

what can we do next? we dont have proof of 12 months together, we would marry if need be. he can come back in on a tourist visa for 90 days easily but then he wont be able to work and thats a major problem. we dont live together but have been to bali 3 times since he has been here (perth, WA)

Please let us know what to apply for and what is the easiest or most efficient way for him to stay here and work. the picking fruit option for 3 months is too late now aswell.


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 73
Please update your flag here .

3 likes received
Now in this case all you can do is get married since you have not been living together. After your wedding, you can apply for a spouse visa even though it is recommended that you are living together. Another option would be to try and get him a one year tourist visa so that you can live together. It may not be granted though, and it may have a NFS condition on it. Maybe you can come to Sweden or Europe with him for a year.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Police Clearance need from original country and resident country ? Maximus1973 Visas and immigration 11 10-24-2013 06:00 AM
Partner/Defacto visa - previous sponsorship in different country brendanrnewell Visas and immigration 2 01-10-2011 09:39 AM
How long to get out of the country? anj3lz Visas and immigration 2 12-18-2010 04:58 AM
Dual Country Defacto Partner Visas lalulabelle Visas and immigration 1 08-28-2010 02:45 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.