Our final decision

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Our final decision

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 23
Please update your flag here .

Smile Our final decision

I posted a thread the other day (here) and after some careful consideration, we think we know what our plan is.

We'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

To sum things up, here is our situation: I'm Australian, my fiancée is British. We live together in my parents house, and have done for almost 7 months. I've been offered a job in Melbourne, and have accepted it. We need to be there in August. We considering the prospective marriage visa, but the waiting times are far to long for me to be able to make the job.

As a workaround, my partner is going to come with me to Australia on a working holiday visa. After 10/11 months, we're going to apply for a de-facto onshore visa, as we'll have plenty of evidence to prove that we have been living together for 12+ months include a lease contract in Oz, and statements from my parents and ourselves when we lived together at my parents.

We're not going to take any of Alex's official documents with us (i.e. birth certificates etc), as I read that this can be suspicious if only really intending to travel. This is actually our intention (well, not so much travelling, but an intention). We want to see if we like it for the 10 months before making serious commitments to applying for a temp residency visa.

I'm assuming this is all possible? We're aware of the no further stay issue - we've been told we shouldn't get that as my partner is Brit, but if so, we just need to go to New Zealand, lodge the application, and then return on an ETA? Is that correct?

We're going to apply for the working holiday visa this week. I'm assuming that the 12months starts upon arrival in Australia, not on the day the visa is granted?

Many thanks in advance!

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Please update your flag here .

47 likes received
Hi callum

I think that's a wise decision to do the working holiday visa first.

Info for working holiday visa is here::: Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)
The 12 months of the WHV in Australia for your partner begins when she enters, not date of grant ) So you can apply now for entry in August 2011, no problem -- as long as she already has the funds? (they like you to demonstrate you have $5,000 initial cash available for arrival). And a plane ticket out of Australia too! (ie you could just a cheapie ticket to NZ or Malaysia that you can change later). This link also mentions the ability to get an ETA to return to Australia if your WHV expires.

PS As soon as you arrive here in Australia, make sure you start organising that hard evidence for your de facto -- ie joint bank accounts, driver's licence to your address, etc. Also another tip -- when you join your super fund, you're given an option whether you want to give someone your cash in the event of your death -- both of you should put each other. This will help demonstrate combination of financial affairs & committment to a future together. Also join a club/get a hobby together so you can show that you have joint interests/social activities. It all counts. DIAC prefer hard evidence to prove residence (ie rental agreements etc) but if you don't have this in UK, make sure you have some official stuff addressed to both of you at your parents house right now (ie bank statements etc).



  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 23
Please update your flag here .

Thanks again for your reply!

That all sounds great. As we speak, we don't have enough funds for that, but will do very soon. As you know we weren't expecting to out to Oz until November time but I was offered the job early. My boss is happy to give me a 2 month advance (which will be about $6,800) so we'll hit that limit. I'm assuming it's ok to show them our joint account in the UK for that?

We're aware we need to collect evidence as soon as we're there. We know for sure that we will have (in Australia) a shared bank account and a shared rental agreement. We've actually already started the process of setting up a shared account there from the UK. Just need to activate it upon arrival. As for evidence here, we don't have much, although we have recently got a joint account (added Alex's name to my account) so just waiting for the first statement to arrive. Other than that, Alex does have some bank statements pointing to our address prior to now, and we can also get statements from both my parents, and her parents (as they obviously know she moved here - and have been to visit, so I guess that helps). If it helps, can also get a statement from my best friend of 12 years to say Alex has been living in our town with me as a partner since February. Hopefully this is enough evidence!

I've also heard about registering our relationship in Victoria? Can we do this if Alex is on a WHV?

With the flight, we'll just book a ticket to NZ a couple of months before her visa is due to run out. That way we can use it in case of having to go overseas to lodge her defacto application if we decide we want to stay in Oz.

I think that's it! I'll talk to my employer today to try and get these funds transferred, and then go ahead with this mid-week. When do they want to see evidence of having the money? At the time of application or upon entering?

Thank you so much for your help!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Final Decision dsmithtx Visas and immigration 12 06-28-2014 06:11 PM
Is case officer is a final decision maker? srey2011 Visas and immigration 6 12-04-2011 03:21 PM
Final Stage k33na Visas and immigration 2 10-27-2011 07:15 AM
Who makes the final decision? philaus Visas and immigration 3 05-07-2010 01:51 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.