No more IELTS? - Page 2

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Like Tree7Likes

No more IELTS? - Page 2


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 01:16 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12
Users Flag! From iran

1 likes received
2 likes given
Hi Steve,

I appreciate your point of view, but owing to the fact that all assessing authorities pave the road for DIBP by assessing the qualifications of migrants prior lodging their application, it sounds equally awkward to sit for two different English tests (IELTS & TOEFL) to meet English language ability requirements just for one goal.
I know that Engineers Australia and other assessing authorities do not only provide services to migrants, but setting same rules as DIBP, exclusively for this group seems to be perfectly rational.

regards,
MJ


  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 01:58 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 2,069
Users Flag! From australia

654 likes received
198 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc James View Post
Hi Steve,

I appreciate your point of view, but owing to the fact that all assessing authorities pave the road for DIBP by assessing the qualifications of migrants prior lodging their application, it sounds equally awkward to sit for two different English tests (IELTS & TOEFL) to meet English language ability requirements just for one goal.
I know that Engineers Australia and other assessing authorities do not only provide services to migrants, but setting same rules as DIBP, exclusively for this group seems to be perfectly rational.

regards,
MJ

Hi Marc James
Why would you need to sit 2 tests? IELTS is still acceptable to DIBP, all they have done is add other examiners.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Last edited by aussiesteve; 11-17-2014 at 02:05 AM.

  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 04:29 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12
Users Flag! From iran

1 likes received
2 likes given
Hi Steve,
Assume that I already have my TOEFL certificate (1st test), fulfilling DIBP's minimum English requirements; since Engineers Australia (EA) only accepts IELTS, I need to sit the IELTS test (2nd test) to become qualified for assessment by EA.


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 04:55 AM
CCMS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cairns
Posts: 6,579
Users Flag! From australia

2432 likes received
187 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to CCMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc James View Post
Hi Steve, Assume that I already have my TOEFL certificate (1st test), fulfilling DIBP's minimum English requirements; since Engineers Australia (EA) only accepts IELTS, I need to sit the IELTS test (2nd test) to become qualified for assessment by EA.
Wouldn't it be nice if there was some consistency across the board. Unfortunately that is not the case. There can even be a difference in the required IELTS score between the DIBP and the various assessment bodies.

__________________
Nick van Voorst
Registered Migration Agent 0640648

Please do not send Private Messages.
For any inquiries, please visit our website: AUSVISA

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 05:03 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 2,069
Users Flag! From australia

654 likes received
198 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc James View Post
Hi Steve,
Assume that I already have my TOEFL certificate (1st test), fulfilling DIBP's minimum English requirements; since Engineers Australia (EA) only accepts IELTS, I need to sit the IELTS test (2nd test) to become qualified for assessment by EA.
Well that's correct if you have already taken the TOEFL exam, (unless of course Engineers Australia change their requirement) however you wording would indicate you have not taken any exam, therefore it would make sense to take the IELTS exam and avoid unnecessary duplication.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12
Users Flag! From iran

1 likes received
2 likes given
Thank you Steve,
I was trying to find a logical explanation regarding the issue, but seems I've been confronted with my writing mistakes which is quite natural for someone whose English is not his mother tongue. BTW, I've passed my IELTS test already (Yeah perhaps, I was lucky and examiners were not qualified enough).


  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12
Users Flag! From iran

1 likes received
2 likes given
Thank you Steve,
I was trying to find a logical explanation regarding the issue, but seems I've been confronted with my writing mistakes which is quite natural for someone that English is not his mother tongue. BTW, I've passed my IELTS test already (Yeah perhaps, I was lucky and examiners were not qualified enough).


Last edited by Marc James; 11-17-2014 at 04:52 PM.

  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 2,069
Users Flag! From australia

654 likes received
198 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc James View Post
Thank you Steve,
I was trying to find a logical explanation regarding the issue, but seems I've been confronted with my writing mistakes which is quite natural for someone whose English is not his mother tongue. BTW, I've passed my IELTS test already (Yeah perhaps, I was lucky and examiners were not qualified enough).
Hi Marc James
Logic never seems to be in play when governments are involved!
Ok on the misunderstanding in regard to your test status, my wife ( who is also an engineer ) is not a natural born English speaker and even though we have been married for 25 years yet we still sometimes have confusion regarding of just what she means. I would hate to be trying to learn English there are so many exceptions to the rules.
Good luck with your assessment.

Marc James likes this.
__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 12
Users Flag! From iran

1 likes received
2 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
Hi Marc James
Logic never seems to be in play when governments are involved!
Ok on the misunderstanding in regard to your test status, my wife ( who is also an engineer ) is not a natural born English speaker and even though we have been married for 25 years yet we still sometimes have confusion regarding of just what she means. I would hate to be trying to learn English there are so many exceptions to the rules.
Good luck with your assessment.
Cheers mate, I've lodged my application for state nominated visa-190 in July this year, very much hope that they'll grant my visa during first half of 2015.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your invaluable advice


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ielts 6.5 spak Education 3 08-20-2014 01:40 AM
Ielts Goldenguy Visas and immigration 4 09-06-2011 01:38 AM
Ielts rg1prasad Visas and immigration 7 08-11-2011 11:10 PM
What available except IELTS ? win25 Visas and immigration 7 03-13-2011 12:10 PM
Ielts christineo Visas and immigration 1 09-16-2010 12:20 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:04 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com